Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys should have a demolition derby with your Evo VII's since they aren't worth anything anyway
I'll take that with sarcasm

That letter sort of rips G&K a new one..... seat belts, window regulators, ecu adjustments, dash material, headliner material, side protection bars, etc...........
Nothing G&K can't easily fix.
If you think every denial comment even from car manufacturers triggers NHTSA denying petitions, all the R.I.s would be out of business by now
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Looking at things from all different perspectives, one can see that comments only help if the Petitioner can actually rebuttal and state the obvious, "Can be readily fixed" and etc.

Just a statement, wouldn’t Mitsubishi actually stating specifics on what needs to be done only help? Mitsubishi put in bold print what needs to be done to make the car legal, and they basically stated issues like seat belts and etc, this can easily be made to conform to DOT standards. That's what the comment period is for. Mitsubishi is basically the final word on this issue, and gave all the missing information that G&K needed to make this car completely legal.

I hate posting what I think, but just a thought in my opinion.

Last edited by YellwTyper; Aug 8, 2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:54 AM
Account Disabled

Cuz headliner is OHHHH so important when it comes to safety.....3 things needed for a safe car: Seat belts, air bags (arguable) and reman bars.....anything else is moot. Dash material pfffffft. Ecu modifications. REALITY check.....anyone with the Cashola to bring one into the country is probably going to mod the hell out of it anyways. Can you say Veilside Evo Ecu?

Seat belts aren't up to snuff eh? I bet the Euros and Japs feel really good. Leave it to mitsubishi to slag there own cars 2 yrs after they make them....wonder what they'll be saying in 2005 about the 2004 Evo 8 when they come out with the Evo 9.

Honestly if Mitsubishi wants to act like this fine go for it. They're spoil sports. They think the Evo 8 is the be all and end all of Evolutions, but they just don't get it. People want JDM quality, JDM power and RHD......fix up the minor safety issues, clean up the smog and just import the things yourselves you worthless bastards......be the first major car manufacturer to sell RHD vehicles in America.

Last edited by i_love_spool; Aug 8, 2003 at 01:01 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

It really isn't that they are upto par, in most cases the tests and design standards in those regions are different. In most cases, they exceed our standards! Some of these issues are done so that the market for cars stay in the U.S., i.e. US domestics cars.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

I really think Seņor Info is in the wrong business. Do you know of teh possibilies in bringing in cars in knowing how to research so much information. This is only done by few, and most aren't so successful. So whats the deal anyways? Why not help us guys who would like to hear postive comments from people who know their information?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 01:04 AM
Account Disabled

BTW E.I.er's try contacting the RIV in Canada, you might be able to sell them to people up here if your SOL in the States.

Worst comes to worst turn it into a rally car and enter the SCCA.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

too bad there are already factory teams (mitsu and subaru) running SCCA rally..... that is a big budget to compete against!!! Plus they have talented drivers vs a newbie......

O well... this is entertaining to watch, but I would be pretty ****ing pissed if I had sent EI $30k 18 months ago and will probably have to export the car.....and even then only get $18k for it......

Originally posted by i_love_spool
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

BTW E.I.er's try contacting the RIV in Canada, you might be able to sell them to people up here if your SOL in the States.

The only cars from the US which can be legally imported into Canada are those originally built to conform to US FMVSS. And all cars that participate in SCCA ProRally must be legally registered for street use, since they must be driven on public roads/highways between stages.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Seņor Info
The only cars from the US which can be legally imported into Canada are those originally built to conform to US FMVSS. And all cars that participate in SCCA ProRally must be legally registered for street use, since they must be driven on public roads/highways between stages.
Explain to me the 3 Evo 7's, Evo 6 and 5 or 6 Evo 4's that are used by privateers in Rallys?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

You can get a "racing" exemption....to get the cars into the USA.....but there you have to prove you are an actual race car driver with a set schedule, etc.......

I am not sure Senor is 100% correct on the street legal part of this. Rally cars would never pass a normal state inspection / emissions I wouldn't think.... Most states require you to maintain your factory airbags, seatbelts, etc........... and Most racecars are stripped.....so.....????

Explain to me the 3 Evo 7's, Evo 6 and 5 or 6 Evo 4's that are used by privateers in Rallys?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ever take a close look at their license plates? To be legal, such cars are nearly always registered in a foreign country and are brought into the country only temporarily (less than 1 year) and then shipped back overseas.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:50 AM

So I have to ask this question: What happened to E.I.? they wont answer their phone ever, or even call you back. Does this mean theyve gone out of business? are they struggling? (not trying to be sarcastic). I'm just wondering, with how long this legalization business has dragged on, how can they stay profitable?