Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended

A notice was published today in the Federal Register concerning the petition now before the NHTSA to import non-US-spec 2003 Evolution VIII LHD cars into the US. The notice announced an extension of the comment period to accomodate a request from Mitsubishi for an extra week to prepare its response. The new comment period closing date is TODAY. The complete notice may be viewed at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...d=fr06au03-132 and the synopsis is:
This reopening is based on a request dated July 29, 2003, from Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. ("Mitsubishi''), the U.S. representative of the vehicle's manufacturer. Mitsubishi stated that the reopening was needed because it had yet to complete a technical analysis of the petition that it is conducting in Japan. Mitsubishi explained that its analysis has taken "longer than initially expected because there are a number of significant engineering issues raised by the petition's discussion of the steps required for modifying the nonconforming Mitsubishi Evolution VIII passenger cars to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.'' The company stated that "these engineering issues require careful analysis and comparison between conforming and nonconforming models.'' The company also noted that it has recently retained outside counsel to assist in preparing its comments, and that "additional time has been needed both to familiarize counsel with the issues, to address issues raised by counsel, and to narrow the issues under review.'' Mitsubishi requested that the comment period be reopened and allowed to run for a period of one week from the original closing date.
It appears that MMSA is not willing to just let this petition "slide" but instead wants it killed.

Previous discussions of this petition within this forum may be found at:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=28674 (petiton announcement)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=16157 (petition preparation)
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

And still no mention on the nhtsa's site of the VII, eh? Heh.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

NHTSA has not yet announced receipt of any petition for the Evo VII.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:34 AM

why would you want a LHD EVO 8? more power stock? the AYC? the purple mica color? the "I have a JDM car and you don't" factor? (not sarcasm, just questions)
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Your GTI is LHD. Presumably because it's easier for them to get a LHD car approved.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I'm under the impression that it HAS to be LHD to be approved. And My opinion is that they are going for Evo VIII (non US) approval first. So they could link back to the approval to show similarity which would allow legalization of the Evo VII's.

Just my opinion though.

SC~
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

There are two RHD cars on the approval list (and they were crashed). The Skyline GT-S and the Skyline GT-R.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...IG0521-03.html

And keep in mind that Motorex crashed them to get them approved (on top of conforming them in other ways).
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't that actually one car, just 2 different models? --splitting hairs-- huhu
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, but I don't know enough about their structural design to assume that they would perform the same as far as crash tests go.

I'm just curious as to MMC's motives.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well, they would obviously like to keep the business of selling Evo's in the US in their court. You really can't blame them for doing this I guess.

Senor Info.....Have any manufacturers successfully barred the eligibility of a nonconforming car by writing and submitting an effective dossier to NHTSA?

SC~
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
I'm just curious as to MMC's motives.
Obviously, MMC is motivated only by its sincere desire to protect the American public from unsafe grey market conversions.

It will be interesting to read the comments from MMC/MMSA when they become available in the public docket since they are likely to shed some additional light on technical/structural differences between the US-market Evo VIII and the Evo VIII sold in other markets.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 08:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Seņor Info
Obviously, MMC is motivated only by its sincere desire to protect the American public from unsafe grey market conversions.

Yeah, SC, I thought about NA sales, but I can't see this hurting their numbers in any sort of significant way.

I'm wondering if the 6 speed tranny recall is a factor at all.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably the precedent that would be set if the cars were legitimized.....which could affect future sales on Evo's and other cars. I don't think that would be insignificant. But it's also hard to guess.

Senor info. Your post make it sound like all grey market cars are unsafe. When in reality, if the NHTSA says it's ok to have specific cars in the US, they are saying that these cars are no less safe than their US Equivalents....and after these cars pass Federal muster, they are still by definition grey market cars, right? ...Well, that on top of the fact that there are very few grey market cars here in the US, so it's hard to factually base an opinion on whether they are safe in operation in the US as compared to their US market equivalents.

or are you just parroting what you think MMC is saying in their defense?

SC~
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think he was being sarcastic. At least that's how I took it.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Senor info. Your post make it sound like all grey market cars are unsafe. When in reality, if the NHTSA says it's ok to have specific cars in the US, they are saying that these cars are no less safe than their US Equivalents....and after these cars pass Federal muster, they are still by definition grey market cars, right? ...Well, that on top of the fact that there are very few grey market cars here in the US, so it's hard to factually base an opinion on whether they are safe in operation in the US as compared to their US market equivalents.
I was trying to make a joke when I said earlier that MMC had only the highest of motives (Americans' safety) behind their apparent effort to spike the Evo VIII petition. Naturally, MMC/MMSA also has some self-interest in this matter. And the issue is not whether grey-market imports are safe. They are, but only when the conversion procedure has been determined by NHTSA to bring the cars into complete compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. That is what NHTSA is trying to decide right now for the Evo VIII.

BTW, there are probably more grey market imports every year than you might guess. According to an article reprinted from the Washington Post, there were 173,841 such imports in 2000 and 199,431 in 2001.

Quick Reply: Evolution VIII Import Petition Comment Period Extended