Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What other cars are comparable to the Evo IX's overall performance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOlved_
But there is a 50 horsepower gap between them though...
true, but evo is much larger, heavier etc. I dunno about the gearing but evo's not really built for highway pulls anyway
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive owned an 04 sti and they are more fun to drive around town versus the evo ride slightly better and kinda give a more muscular feel basicly zero turbo lag (i know you think your evo isnt bad just drive one and then see what you think) were talking full boost at 2600 rpms here with mild mods and they can run mid 12s with the same mods

looking to change it up ????at least drive one...
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go test drive a X... the new 370z looks pretty bad@$$ too tho.. Honestly, if you are looking for something different, i would go out and test drive a bunch of cars. Maybe you could get some old school rice too.

X
370z
NSX
Supra
M3
IS300
3000GT (low miles)
GT-R?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Drag race - Gixxer 1000, and mod from there, or C5 Z06's if you want four wheels and want to get into 7 seconds
Track race - Any version of used ariel atom if you want a car, or go for racing karts if you just want to be fast
Off roading - Wrangler
Hauling people and grocery - Honda Odyssey
Comfort and space - used LS430

Want a bit of everything? - Lancer Evo

All the above mentioned should cost 35k or less before any mods.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

SRT-4 is real cheap and real fast for it's price. Can probably get one for 10K or less now. Not as impressive as an Evo and it has too much torque for its own good on a 2WD car, but you said cheap and fast and that's the perfect car, imo.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:59 PM

an sti is actually a bit ballsier stock than an evo in a straight line, comparable though for sure, also look to a 911 4s, m3, s4 is very similar...not quite as turn capable but has the brunt to kick **** for sure..ps(if you watch the top gear races between them keep in mind they dont test a base evo) Mazdaspeed 6 will be somewhat close as far as modability equality in speed but evo will KILL it in the corners. Slightly modified LGT, and possibly the mercedes c class...still though FTW!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Drag race - Gixxer 1000, and mod from there, or C5 Z06's if you want four wheels and want to get into 7 seconds
Track race - Any version of used ariel atom if you want a car, or go for racing karts if you just want to be fast
Off roading - Wrangler
Hauling people and grocery - Honda Odyssey
Comfort and space - used LS430

Want a bit of everything? - Lancer Evo

All the above mentioned should cost 35k or less before any mods.
Ive been thinking about the C5 Z06
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
I would go test drive a X... the new 370z looks pretty bad@$$ too tho.. Honestly, if you are looking for something different, i would go out and test drive a bunch of cars. Maybe you could get some old school rice too.

X
370z
NSX
Supra
M3
IS300
3000GT (low miles)
GT-R?
Try to find for test drive one tuned X. With no other mods on it. You will be surprised.
And from there you will get the idea .
From your list the other car for me would be the new M3 . I love them!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

03 cobra
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:07 PM

You should go test drive a C5 z06, it has a fairly different feel from an Evo. Things like lower seating position, slower steering ratio, longer shift throws, give it a very different feel. Stock for stock on equal tires it is better than a IX in handling. Its lower weight, lower center of gravity, and high stiffness makes it easier on tires in hard cornering and give it a fair amount of handling advantage on equal tires. Its straight line performance is good too but, you will pay a bit more to add hp if you decide you want to add more at a later point. Both cars are fun, but I always felt that the Evo gives a more direct feel, possibly due to the C5 Z06 having soft suspension bushings in the A-arms.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by z06fun
You should go test drive a C5 z06, it has a fairly different feel from an Evo. Things like lower seating position, slower steering ratio, longer shift throws, give it a very different feel. Stock for stock on equal tires it is better than a IX in handling. Its lower weight, lower center of gravity, and high stiffness makes it easier on tires in hard cornering and give it a fair amount of handling advantage on equal tires. Its straight line performance is good too but, you will pay a bit more to add hp if you decide you want to add more at a later point. Both cars are fun, but I always felt that the Evo gives a more direct feel, possibly due to the C5 Z06 having soft suspension bushings in the A-arms.
For the money C5Z is the only thing close.

I prefer the feel of the evo which is why I sold my C5Z and got back into an evo.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

i have a good friend who owns a c5 zo6 pretty impressive car stock especially when you consider what they can be had for ,,,,
theres one maybe people forgot to mention the turbo cobalt ss cheapest bang for the buck car to be had today but its still a cobalt
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

C5 Z06 is a nice car do doubt, but it's not going to go around corners like an evo will. I don't understand why you'd want to replace an evo with something else if you already love the way the evo performs. Closest thing would be an STi, but like other's have mentioned they're better for DD and street use since they spool up so much quicker and have a 2.5L motor. RWD is totally different from AWD, keep that in mind. Plus you live in IL where it snows, last car I'd want is a RWD car with a bunch of horsepower. Personally I also like the S4's, Audi makes some of the nicest cars around.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sdfontanini
C5 Z06 is a nice car do doubt, but it's not going to go around corners like an evo will. I don't understand why you'd want to replace an evo with something else if you already love the way the evo performs. Closest thing would be an STi, but like other's have mentioned they're better for DD and street use since they spool up so much quicker and have a 2.5L motor. RWD is totally different from AWD, keep that in mind. Plus you live in IL where it snows, last car I'd want is a RWD car with a bunch of horsepower. Personally I also like the S4's, Audi makes some of the nicest cars around.
i disagree that a c5z wont out corner an evo if you look at testing the c5 outperforms it g-force even slalom and track stock to stock im betting the zo6 wins ,, maybe more what your saying is its a lot harder to drive fast to the inexperienced driver versus an awd car that goes where you tell it to.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by getsideways
i disagree that a c5z wont out corner an evo if you look at testing the c5 outperforms it g-force even slalom and track stock to stock im betting the zo6 wins ,, maybe more what your saying is its a lot harder to drive fast to the inexperienced driver versus an awd car that goes where you tell it to.

This is exactly right. I've never driven a car that is as easy to drive fast as an evo. The C5Z's ultimate performance is higher but it is much harder to access.

I never really felt comfortable driving the Z hard down a narrow twisty road. FWIW it's not just because it's a high horsepower RWD car, my previous car was a 500+ rwhp cobra so I'm used to a car with a light rear. It is really just the feel of the car, everything I've ever driven is numb compared to an evo. Hell, sneeze behind the wheel of an evo and you're likely to change lanes accidentally.

Quick Reply: What other cars are comparable to the Evo IX's overall performance?