Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Which Ported and Polished head for 2.3 35r evo?
AMS Race Head with oversized valves w/Jun 272
29.31%
Buschur Racing Stage 3 Head w/BF 272 Cams
33.62%
AMS Race Head with oversized valves w/S2
12.93%
Buschur Racing Stage 3 Head w/Jun 272
13.79%
Buschur Racing Stage 3 Head w/S2
6.90%
AMS Race Head with oversized valves w/BF 272
3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

AMS or Buschur Ported & Polished Race Head???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man just get it done yourself by your local port shop. It will cost you way cheaper $500 parts and about 500-750 for a full race port anymore then that your getting jacked

cams
BR272's will do i dont know what BF stand for
Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

I pieced my stroker kit together from seperate sources. I was careful on what parts I use in my setup. I think my rotating assy w/ bearings cost me like 1700-1800.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Man just get it done yourself by your local port shop. It will cost you way cheaper $500 parts and about 500-750 for a full race port anymore then that your getting jacked

cams
BR272's will do i dont know what BF stand for
on their website it says BF 272 cams. I really dunno what it stands for either lol

also I wouldnt mind going to a local shop but there arent any that have experience with 4 cylinders. everyone around here are big muscle car people.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur FTMFW! Love the head they did for my car. Helped SO much with response. Can't go wrong with BR!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by xspsi4
The hands down best headport guy is right here in Il, Headdynamics And his work blows AMS and buschur's away. Big shops have prettu much one generic port for everyone, Headdynamics will spend time talking to you about what your goals are and custom taylor a head for you. One of the few people left in the industry who take great pride in their work. I can post pics if need be.
To call someone the "best headport guy there is" is most likely subjective. That isn't to say their work isn't fantastic, it's just that if you're going to make a statement like that you'll need to back it up with data.

Now, going off the beaten track may yield superior results. However, what AMS and Buschur provide is a relatively easy decision for buyers, vetted by numerous people, for those who want to limit risk and mange the potential downside. Will you get a head that performs from AMS and Buschur? Definitely. Are there better options? Possibly, but you're certainly going to open yourself to more risk going down that path.

I agree there are plenty of people on this forum who know their stuff that keep a low profile. I met a guy the other day who was interested in seeing how much the 100 cell cat smelled. Turns out he was an engineer at Garrett for 8 years. Who knew? And yes, he posts on this board and never says things like "Hey, I worked at Garrett for 8 years."
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I can say he is the best that I have seen compaired to AMS Buschur bj's and many others. His head is on a 217 mph evo 2 so if it can work on that application I am sure it will work on a 35r, Headdynamics.com is the website but is under const.

I will have him chime in on this later.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by xspsi4
I can say he is the best that I have seen compaired to AMS Buschur bj's and many others. His head is on a 217 mph evo 2 so if it can work on that application I am sure it will work on a 35r, Headdynamics.com is the website but is under const.

I will have him chime in on this later.

I certainly don't debate that he may be very good. My point, if I wasn't clear, was more of an academic one

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Apr 18, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I voted. These types of post usually just turn into pissing matches.

I don't get them actually. I wonder does anyone actually buy a part or do what a poll says in the end? Do the research. I've built SO many different kinds of cars over the years, I research, buy from who suits my needs the best and call it a day.

That's the best thing anyone can do. Good luck with your choice. We and AMS make top notch stuff, you aren't going to go wrong with either.

One quick side note. There are posts all over EVOM. I don't think I have ever scene a single post about a problem with one of our cylinder heads. To put this into perspective we ship ATLEAST one Stage 3 EVO cylinder head out of our shop PER WEEK. Some weeks we ship two of them out. That means we are doing atleast 52 cylinder heads a year. It might not seem like a lot but there is a lot of port work, machine work and time that goes into each head. We've been doing this for the last 3 years I'd say, that's when the heads got popular enough to have that much demand. That's atleast 150 cylinder heads from us out there. I wish we could turn them out quicker so there wasn't a 2-3 week wait on each head but we can't rush them. Too much needs to be checked and done right.

Last edited by David Buschur; Apr 18, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have a buscher head and let me tell you its a nice head job
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I voted. These types of post usually just turn into pissing matches.

I don't get them actually. I wonder does anyone actually buy a part or do what a poll says in the end? Do the research. I've built SO many different kinds of cars over the years, I research, buy from who suits my needs the best and call it a day.

That's the best thing anyone can do. Good luck with your choice. We and AMS make top notch stuff, you aren't going to go wrong with either.

One quick side note. There are posts all over EVOM. I don't think I have ever scene a single post about a problem with one of our cylinder heads. To put this into perspective we ship ATLEAST one Stage 3 EVO cylinder head out of our shop PER WEEK. Some weeks we ship two of them out. That means we are doing atleast 52 cylinder heads a year. It might not seem like a lot but there is a lot of port work, machine work and time that goes into each head. We've been doing this for the last 3 years I'd say, that's when the heads got popular enough to have that much demand. That's atleast 150 cylinder heads from us out there. I wish we could turn them out quicker so there wasn't a 2-3 week wait on each head but we can't rush them. Too much needs to be checked and done right.

Yeah I know that I can't go wrong with either shop's head. I'm mostly just getting opinions about what kind of head yeilds better results usually for my setup. a head with oversized valves, or not. and what cams seem to give the best results for a stroker engine. I'm just gettin ya'lls opinions

Is there much difference between the BF 272's and the JUN 272's. I've read that they're very comparable

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Apr 19, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I run the AMS head on my stock bottom end and it really woke up the top end of my powerband.

If you want an honest opinion why not go to the source? Call AMS and Buschur and tell them what you want to do with the car. You can ask people on EvoM all day long and unless you happen to find an independent motorhead who know's the difference in power a full radius valve grind vs. a 5-angle grind will make, you won't get anything but biased answers.

Martin at AMS has tested over a dozen cams for the Evo for a Turbo Magazine article. I'd start with asking him questions about what cam profile to use as he has designed cams himself and knows the ins and outs.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BR stage 3 with BF 272's get my vote. And why.... have you seen the power and ET's that come from that combo
Old Apr 19, 2008, 02:52 PM

my vote goes to. . . . . . . .cosworth
Old Apr 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEORGE_23
my vote goes to. . . . . . . .cosworth
don't think I want to spend THAT much money lol
Old Apr 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Our heads come standard with a .5 mm oversized valve in them. We do this for a number of reasons. The first reason is fixing the head if something happens. Going directly to a 1 mm oversize valve is not a problem but if you damage the head many times the entire seat will need replaced, which is a PITA and costly. On the flow bench the difference from a .5 mm to a 1 mm oversized valve is marginal, most of the flow gained is in the valve design, the angles on the seat/valve and mostly in the bowl work.

The BF272's have made more power for us than the Jun's. The story has been told multiple times how we developed our cams. Either cam will work fine, if it were me, I'd put the BF272 in it, it's a hell of a lot cheaper, it's available and as I said, we've made more power on that cam, marginally more power.

Quick Reply: AMS or Buschur Ported & Polished Race Head???