Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification advice for NZ Evo enthusiast!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modification advice for NZ Evo enthusiast!

Hi all from New Zealand

Awesome forum here - you guys definitely go hard with your Evo mods! :-)

I've recently bought a 2005 Evo IX (don't let my user name fool you!) and done the following mods:

-HKS turbo back exhaust.
-Decat with test pipe.
-Apexi power intake air filter.
-Turbosmart dual port BOV.
-Walbro fuel pump.
-Ecutek reflash.

The end result is that on 98 pump gas with 22psi, the car puts out 318hp at the wheels.

My next goal is to increase this to 400hp at the wheels. It's a daily driven car. I don't want to use meth.

What's the most cost effective way to achieve the 400hp goal? From what I've gathered reading previous posts on this site, the best way to do this is to:

-Upgrade to an aftermarket turbo (e.g. the FP Evo Green turbo) and bigger fuel injectors.
-Upgrade to aftermarket cams (e.g. HKS 272).
-Reflash.

Based on what I've read, the Evo Green turbo might provide an extra 20-30hp, and the cams about 30hp.

I've also got a few other questions:

-Should I fit an EBC (e.g. the Turbosmart E-Boost2)? Other than allowing me to have different boost settings and enable me to see boost levels, would it actually provide any power gains, compared to using the Ecutek reflash to increase the boost via the factory ECU)
-People have commented that the Evo Green provides more gains at higher boost levels (and using meth). If I fitted the Evo Green turbo (and used 98 pump gas) could I safely increase the boost higher than the 22psi it is currently set at? (using the Ecutek reflash).
-What gains would a cold air box provide? I'm eyeing an Apexi cold air box. My Apexi power intake pod filter has a heat shield, but it's probably still sucking in hot air!
-What gains would an aftermarket exhaust manifold provide? This is a long shot, as I've been told they provide minimal gains (about 6-8hp), for quite a bit of cash.

There's also the new FP turbo to consider too, I suppose....!

Cheers

Mark.