Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Some things i've noticed as a new evo owner.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice. Im glad to know that these are all things that other owners experience. That way im not alone in my frustration, anger and grief.

Except #3. warranty...here i come.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:44 PM

welcome to Evo world
Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:36 PM

Yeah, I feel you on the tranny noises. When I start the car up and let the clutch out, it always feels ...I don't know... wierd.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be normal. Just drive it for awhile and you'll be ok.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:22 AM

Ha, and I thought I was the only one for #3. Its more of sometimes for me though.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of misinformation

Do a search on me and read all my different tranny issues.

1. If your car moves when you put it in gear, then the clutch is not fully disengaging from the flywheel. Not being able to put it in reverse easily is the first sign of this. Readjust the clutch and rebleed the clutch line. You may have to do this multiple times to get it right.

2. Notchiness - this is a result of the synchos in the transmission. Some slight notchiness is normal. If its constant it's not normal. Shifter bushings will not help notchiness.

3. Get some graphite and put it into your ignition. They sell this at pepboys and such.

Last edited by mithrandir7533; Apr 19, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you need to have the clutch petal re-adjusted.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZLevo8
as far as the reverse its because its awd. if it was a mustang it would be different but you have all 4 wheels moving at the same time so you have to line everything up. try going from 3rd to reverse next time and see if that helps. i just got into the habit of going from 3rd to reverse and i never notice any reverse problems.

but yeah to agree with everybody else the evo is as tempermental as a pregnant woman
AWD has nothing to do with how easily or not it is to put the car in reverse. Please do some research on how a manual transmission works. When do you every shift into reverse with all 4 wheels moving?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 12dore
i have they same problem as #4 except sometimes with first gear. i just got into the habit of going from five right into reverse. i thought it was just my car cuz the guy that did my motor swap beat on the tranny so much cuz he forgot to take off the throw out bearing lock washer. he hit on it so much he had to replace the clutch. so i figured he did other damage and havent had it in to be fixed.
my car nudges forward too when i put it in first. not sure if thats normal or something isnt right with my clutch.

any of you with a new clutch have problems going into reverse?
You need to have to have it readjusted and have them rebleed the system, possibly multiple times. This is not normal. Do a search on me and read my tranny issues.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

yea, i dont seem to have any of those problems, the only problem i seem to have now, is no one once to race me, haha
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

yea i agree with number 4 for sure...and i get the wirling noise when i downshift into first with the clutch pressed in. and also idk if this is common with these cars or if its just mine...but my car seems to buck whenever i shift/downshift. 9 times outta 10 it will buck even a little, even if i granny shift.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
Do a search on me and read all my different tranny issues.

1. If your car moves when you put it in gear, then the clutch is not fully disengaging from the flywheel. Not being able to put it in reverse easily is the first sign of this. Readjust the clutch and rebleed the clutch line. You may have to do this multiple times to get it right.

2. Notchiness - this is a result of the synchos in the transmission. Some slight notchiness is normal. If its constant it's not normal. Shifter bushings will not help notchiness.

3. Get some graphite and put it into your ignition. They sell this at pepboys and such.
same story here.... replaced the clutch with act and sometimes trying to shift into 1st or reverse they seem 'locked' and the car would move a little with the clutch all the way in in 1st and reverse.... adjusted the clutch and haven't had a problem since... 20 min fix (had to adjust it twice cause i didn't go far enough the first time)
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tnhockey
yea i agree with number 4 for sure...and i get the wirling noise when i downshift into first with the clutch pressed in. and also idk if this is common with these cars or if its just mine...but my car seems to buck whenever i shift/downshift. 9 times outta 10 it will buck even a little, even if i granny shift.
Weird, when I blip my downshifts are as smooth as butter.