Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Some things i've noticed as a new evo owner.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some things i've noticed as a new evo owner.

Well, since this is my first evo im totally new to the little quirks it has.

1) One thing i have noticed is that tranny and engine NHV (noise harshness vibration) increases when i let go of the clutch in neutral. There is a small...wirling noise that i can't really describe except that its only audible in neutral WITHOUT the clutch in.

2)At a light, im in neutral WITHOUT the clutch in, i go to put it in first by pressing the clutch and shifting....and the car "nudges" a little as i put it in gear. its actually right when its put into gear...the car moves forward every so slightly. Is that normal? I have no problem going into any gear (except reverse...see below). They all "snick" smoothly.

3)My key doesn't like to come out of the ignition. I have to "jiggle" and "play around" with the key so that it comes out. Its not smooth at all, and the ignition socket feels loose.

4) reverse is a PITA to get into. Its not crunchy or muddy or anything like that. it just lockes me out somethings like i can't even get it into gear. I have to regularly go into first, THEN reverse. This is random though....sometimes its smooth going into reverse, sometimes not.
Do you guys have the same experience?

Last edited by boostedawd; Apr 18, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

welcome to the world of runs and works OK
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:16 PM

i agree with #4.. i have to go into first then go into reverse or put it into neutral first.. lol..
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once you get some shifter bushing and underhood bushing then everything will feel smoother and tighter.............
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

never had an issue with reverse myself but im with you on the odd noises of the tranny in general. welcome to the evo
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krazirob
once you get some shifter bushing and underhood bushing then everything will feel smoother and tighter.............
thats odd.

stiffer bushings are NOT supposed to make things "smoother." If anything, they would exagerate any NHV in the tranny.

Yeah they would make them tighter and probably more notchy.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedawd
Well, since this is my first evo im totally new to the little quirks it has.

1) One thing i have noticed is that tranny and engine NHV (noise harshness vibration) increases when i let go of the clutch in neutral. There is a small...wirling noise that i can't really describe except that its only audible in neutral WITHOUT the clutch in.

2)At a light, im in neutral WITHOUT the clutch in, i go to put it in first by pressing the clutch and shifting....and the car "nudges" a little as i put it in gear. its actually right when its put into gear...the car moves forward every so slightly. Is that normal? I have no problem going into any gear (except reverse...see below). They all "snick" smoothly.

3)My key doesn't like to come out of the ignition. I have to "jiggle" and "play around" with the key so that it comes out. Its not smooth at all, and the ignition socket feels loose.

4) reverse is a PITA to get into. Its not crunchy or muddy or anything like that. it just lockes me out somethings like i can't even get it into gear. I have to regularly go into first, THEN reverse. This is random though....sometimes its smooth going into reverse, sometimes not.
Do you guys have the same experience?
The only issue I have is number 1 which is normal.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

welcome to the EVO
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:48 PM

as far as the reverse its because its awd. if it was a mustang it would be different but you have all 4 wheels moving at the same time so you have to line everything up. try going from 3rd to reverse next time and see if that helps. i just got into the habit of going from 3rd to reverse and i never notice any reverse problems.

but yeah to agree with everybody else the evo is as tempermental as a pregnant woman
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well assuming you bought the car used it could of had some alum shifter bushings installed recently.I just had some alum bushings installed in my car and for the first few days it was a little tough to get into reverse but now it seems to be easier to get into reverse.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:52 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

I only have the same issue as rcheung...#1.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:54 PM

i have they same problem as #4 except sometimes with first gear. i just got into the habit of going from five right into reverse. i thought it was just my car cuz the guy that did my motor swap beat on the tranny so much cuz he forgot to take off the throw out bearing lock washer. he hit on it so much he had to replace the clutch. so i figured he did other damage and havent had it in to be fixed.
my car nudges forward too when i put it in first. not sure if thats normal or something isnt right with my clutch.

any of you with a new clutch have problems going into reverse?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by freeride
welcome to the world of runs and works OK
haha man that's a good one.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedawd
thats odd.

stiffer bushings are NOT supposed to make things "smoother." If anything, they would exagerate any NHV in the tranny.

Yeah they would make them tighter and probably more notchy.
Umm, you want the type of bushings that make your car shift worse? Shifter bushings will absolutely make your car shift smoother and LESS notchy. I installed solid underhood shift buschinga from Buschur Racing and they make my tranny shift like butter. Shift bushings are supposed to get rid of the slop however misshifts will cause more damage to the internals of the tranny because there is no room for error.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

^ i agree
i had 1>2 shifting difficulties, and after doing all 6 bushings my shifter is MUCH smoother.

i also have #1 and #2 above

Quick Reply: Some things i've noticed as a new evo owner.