Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange RPM spike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange RPM spike

So I was driving my car home from the airport a couple days back and I noticed when I was cruising and I gave the car a little bit more throttle (not close to WOT) the rpm's would spike about 500rpm then fall back down and generate boost. It's still doing it and I have no idea whats the problem. This only happens when I'm in gear and through all rpms. If I go WOT then it hops up like 1k rpm...

Anybody know what might be wrong?

My first guess was something to do with the clutch or transmission. I'm probably going to take it into the dealer, but of course, I'm worried to do that because...well..you know!

Please, any information you might be able to share would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:04 PM

sounds like the clutch is starting to slip r u still on stock clutch?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch..get your wallet out but not for the dealer GL
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:19 PM

recommend exedy twin disk
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

****. i was hoping that wasn't clutch slip....
im at 23k miles. so i thought slipping would only happen when engaging the clutch or something of the sort...its my first stick car that i've ran the clutch down on.
THIS SOON?

I'm pissed.

So do I have to go OEM to keep warranty?
I plan on modding anyways (stock at the moment) so I gotta decide if i give a crap about it.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blizzackk
****. i was hoping that wasn't clutch slip....
im at 23k miles. so i thought slipping would only happen when engaging the clutch or something of the sort...its my first stick car that i've ran the clutch down on.
THIS SOON?

I'm pissed.

So do I have to go OEM to keep warranty?
I plan on modding anyways (stock at the moment) so I gotta decide if i give a crap about it.
Well to really tell if the clutch is the problem you have to test it at full load in 5th gear. Take it out and take it up to about 3500 or 4000 and just mash it down, if the RPM's spike when boost hits its the clutch. If not your good to go at least for a little while. Do you launch it alot? or drag?

If you are looking to go cheaper on a clutch an ACT HDSS is a good choice if not get the Exedy twin.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better decide quick what your plan for the car is going to be. Stock clutch is a really soft exedy. Go with a decent single disk exedy if you aren't going to mod or pony up the dough and go with the twin disk HD if you ever plan on modding. Warranty! What warranty!?!?!?! Just try to make a claim on anything other than non drivetrain related stuff! Unless you have a super cool service manager and mitsu doesn't shut him down you will be denied almost all claims.

Josh
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a slipping clutch
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Redline-Z
Well to really tell if the clutch is the problem you have to test it at full load in 5th gear. Take it out and take it up to about 3500 or 4000 and just mash it down, if the RPM's spike when boost hits its the clutch. If not your good to go at least for a little while. Do you launch it alot? or drag?

If you are looking to go cheaper on a clutch an ACT HDSS is a good choice if not get the Exedy twin.
well I've done maybe 20 launches in the 10k miles I've owned the car...but I used to be a pretty bad driver.

There was a previous owner so he might have also beaten on the car too.

alright ill try that, but I'm pretty sure that thats what will happen. well i'm SOL. Just when I thought I wouldn't be having to worry for a while this goes and happens lol.
So how long does it take till I really need to change it out.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blizzackk
well I've done maybe 20 launches in the 10k miles I've owned the car...but I used to be a pretty bad driver.

There was a previous owner so he might have also beaten on the car too.

alright ill try that, but I'm pretty sure that thats what will happen. well i'm SOL. Just when I thought I wouldn't be having to worry for a while this goes and happens lol.
So how long does it take till I really need to change it out.
I am sure it would last a couple 1,000 miles if you stay out of boost. The TQ. is what s going to destroy it. And we all know the Evo has no TQ off boost
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Forget about your warranty because the clutch is not covered. It is classified as a wear and tear item like brake pads.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:47 PM

Deff your clutch. You might want to get on that sooner then later because once it starts it will go pretty quick, and once it does your pretty screwed. I can remember driving the evo to the dealership (25miles) at midnight when there was no traffic with a smoked clutch. I had to roll thru stop signs and time lights. I did hit one light i had to stop at and almost had to push the car to get it going. Its a ****ty feeling
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
Forget about your warranty because the clutch is not covered. It is classified as a wear and tear item like brake pads.
+1
mine went at 15000, was $1500 with labor through mitsu for a stock clutch. if you put any clutch in other than stock i believe you void your powertrain warranty,not totally sure tho