Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help removing trim for a few mods.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:35 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Need help removing trim for a few mods.

I want to remove this plastic surround on my car so I can drill a small hole for a switch. I'm going to be putting LED's in the footwell and under the drivers seats so they shine towards the rear passengers foot area. I do not want the lights on each time I turn on my parking lights, but I want a separate switch so I can turn them off if they are bothering me.

Does anyone know how to remove this piece of trim?

Also, I will be removing these 3 stock gauges soon, and the radio. Can anyone explain how they come out. I don't want to break anything when I'm uninstalling them.

Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
those two screws are the only two needed to remove that piece. After removing you just basically need to pull/pry it out. Be careful not to break the clips when removing it. Also note that there is an adhesive going around that piece so the first time you take it off it may be a little trickier. Once you figure it out you will realize how easy it really was. Good luck
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I tried putting a mini flathead screwdriver between there and the dash below the AC and I tried to pry back a little but pushing too hard is going to damage the plastic. Where should I put the screwdriver?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drink Milk! LOL Just kidding! Yeah it was a pain to do the Radio relocation on mine since the cubby was really stuck good. BTW Anyone need a stock cubby? LOL Mine is collecting dust in a closet!

Josh
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Drink Milk! LOL Just kidding! Yeah it was a pain to do the Radio relocation on mine since the cubby was really stuck good. BTW Anyone need a stock cubby? LOL Mine is collecting dust in a closet!

Josh
My radio is going to be relocated to my closet as I will have 9 gauges, (6 dash, 3 pillar)

I need to know where to pry with the screwdriver, I am just scared of damaging the dash!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
take a flathead screwdriver and carefully pry up right under the top left corner. You just need to make it past the first clip, then the rest are easy to pry out
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

It sounds like thats what I needed. Thanks. I'll try it with a small rag wrapped around the flat end. I hate how soft this plastic is you can damage it so easy..
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
My radio is going to be relocated to my closet as I will have 9 gauges, (6 dash, 3 pillar)

I need to know where to pry with the screwdriver, I am just scared of damaging the dash!
NINE GAUGES??? What nine gauges will you be using? That seems a little like overkill. I can't imagine trying to keep my eyes on nine gauges while trying to keep my eyes on the road. Good luck.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:10 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
NINE GAUGES??? What nine gauges will you be using? That seems a little like overkill. I can't imagine trying to keep my eyes on nine gauges while trying to keep my eyes on the road. Good luck.
Boost 30psi
Oil Pressure
Shift Light (tach combo)

Water Temp
Voltage
Oil Temp

AF Ratio
Trans Temp
EGT

I only need to keep my eyes on the shift light. The rest is to determine if I have a problem before it turns into something big.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

remove 2 screws that are pictured, then just pop the trim bezel piece off. The gauges will still be attached. After removing the trim piece you can then remove the screws that hold the gauge flange on.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:28 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Is it easy to steal the boost pressure from the stock gauge and run it to my apillar for my triple pod?

Is this one electrical or mechanical. The one I bought for my apillar is 52mm mechanical.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
Is it easy to steal the boost pressure from the stock gauge and run it to my apillar for my triple pod?

Is this one electrical or mechanical. The one I bought for my apillar is 52mm mechanical.
look at the back of the stock gauge....im sure it has a plastic hose unless its electrical idk....i never played with it b4 but if its plastic bring it to the pillar....if its not long enough buy a new plastic hose from pep boys and run it again completly over....boost gauges are cake.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

The stock gauge has a restrictor in the "T" where it connects at the manifold so you may not get accurate results if you use the existing line. I initially did this and was getting 25psi load spikes but my map sensor based boost gauge was only seeing 21 psi. I ran my own hose to the manifold and then it saw the 25psi spikes.

My advice.. run a new line or remove the restrictor "T" if your bent on re-using the stock line.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I was guessing that the stock gauge had a T somewhere at the manifold. So you recommend just disconnecting the stock tube and putting a new longer tube in that will go to my A Pillar? Won't I need some kind of T?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7

Wow, that's a lot of gauges man. Hope you're not spending too much time monitorying the gauges while you're driving. I think you'll only need the essential gauge and that would be about 4 gauges. Boost, Oil temp, A/F, and EGT. But then, everyone has their own opinion and ideas so it's all good as to what you're doing with your Evo man. Just my thought. Have fun!