Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall facts, and slightly different questions than already asked.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall facts, and slightly different questions than already asked.

called that 888 mitsu2002 and gave them my vin#... ive got a flag on the car.. the recall applies to my EVO.

then i called my service advisor and asked about the recall.. they are aware of it. they have also tested some other Evos and they came out clean, no fix needed.

he said that they do water testing under the car to check if there is a leak, etc

if my car applies to the recall, should i get EVERYTHING the recall requires. (new wiring, etc) or will a test be enough.

on average, how long have your tests/recall work lasted?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hey Guys,

I had my dealer run my VIN and they came up with nothing on my EVO. Nor have they heard of any issues with the EVO. (no big supprise since they have only sold 3)

However I was caught in a rainstorm over the weekend, and my stock EVO wouldnt pull past 5000 RPM it felt like the ignition was breaking up.

Definitly a water related issue, Has anyone else had problems like this? After things dried out it would pull again, but it took awhile.

After having problems, I am supprised I am not covered under the recall program. I'll check the 888 number.

And since it's driving fine now, I am not sure if the problem will be easy to track down without making things worse!!!

Thanks for your help, and a great forum.

L8r
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Could water be entering the engine bay through the hood hole, pooling on the valve cover and seeping into the spark plug area?

I was surprised to see how much water sits on the front lip of the hole and then falls into the engine bay starting off.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:31 AM
In Timeout

Spoke with Randy Kuwatani, Parts and Service Director @ EC Mitsu. He's got answers to your questions regarding any recalls.

SF Bay Area ppl can reach him @ (510) 992-2035 to confirm whether the various recalls apply to your Evo or not, order replacement components and reserve a service appointment to have the parts replaced.

Please mention that Stewart referred you.

Peace. Out.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the Idea Mister2zx3, I first thought of water in the hood vent, and will check to see if there is any residual evidence of water pooling up around the plugs tonight.

I was driving in and out of rain for 300 miles, and thought, that even if water was pooling on or near the engine, it would have dried off or not been a problem because of all the heat generated and the extended amount of time driving.

I figured Mitsubishi engineers would have worked out all the bugs of getting water into the engine compartment before they committed to putting the vent on the hood, so I was thinking this may have been one of the reasons for the recall.

Thanks again
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

i thought the recall was about water getting into the ECU housing and causing the wire (and wiring harness) to corrode?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:37 AM

The recall is to check the wires going to the ECU and other areas under the car. Mine was done last week. Thay check the wires, clean and apply a sealer under the car where the wires go through the floorboard. They did nothing under the hood. Only under the car and in the passenger side where the ECU is located. The whole thing takes about an hour. Thay ask you not to wash the car or drive through any water for about 24 hours to let it all set and dry.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

If water could seep into the engine from around the spark plugs, you've got a bigger problem than one related to water and rain.

As I understand it, that would also mean the combustion gasses would be leaking out during the compression and firing revolutions of the motor....and you would be losing hp....and have an engine that is running noticeably crappier than it should.

So unless all this is happeneing, and you've been playing with the spark plugs, I wouldn't worry about water seeping into the engine....after all, the Evo VIII is not the first Evo to have a hood vent!

SC~
Old Aug 11, 2003, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously his motor is still running, so no water is getting into the engine, but water pooling in the spakr plug area can cause ignition maladies.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:00 AM

The recall is for the wire harness corroding which started with the Outlander, and apparently included some EVO's.

My VIN was not listed by Mitsu as having any recalls or service bulletins attached to it, however I am having water related drivability problems.

I am wondering if anyone has had a problem with the drivability of their car that was fixed by this recall?

If the harness corrodes enough, something on the EVO must stop working right. My car runs poorly over 5K however, I have no recalls, so it must be something else.

I guess I will look at the connections passing through the Firewall, and see if everything looks good just in case.

THanks

L8r
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:12 AM

I guess I waited too long before submitting and you guys beat me to the jump.

Thanks for the help, As you said chimp there is no real way water is getting into the cylinders themselves, however I guess if the plugs take a bath that can cause ignition problems.

I wouldn't have suspected water into the vent first, especially after seeing the water related recall info, however, stranger things have happened.

I’ll look for signs of water tonight.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

The recall work shouldn't take that long. Mine took 4 hours, and that was with them changing the trans fluid.