Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

is da STI batter than EVO ( in USA )

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine it'd be around $34k but it would outperform the STi handily and be worth the price.

That's how it should be, really:

WRX - $25k
Evo VIII - $28k
Sti - $31k
Evo VIII 2.3 - $34k

Wouldn't that be sweet?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:43 AM

Just buy the one you want. I would get the Evo, wait I did.

Yes.

Evolved Member

Bring the FQ-300 package and I'll be happy.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hummer
Yes.

Staying on topic to some extent have you experienced any issues with your STi so far?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Re: STI chip re-map

Originally posted by KZGTR

For your information, I just found out from subaru board, Subaru starts to send out their chip re-flash unit to dealers. This will solve the pinging problem. It seems they act fast to their problems.
And for your information, when the dealers first starting to notice this SOA said it was normal. It took them well over 4months to come out with the fix. Plus only very few dealers have it as of now to see if it works.

Thank you for informing me of nothing.

The four STI's that I have driven have pinged on 93oct. It's fact, like it or not. Subaru was trying to stick it to as much as they could in the HP war. So the ing advance with throw the roof.

Sti is a great car!! Hands down if they did not import the EVO I would be all over the STI (when fixed).

Eric

Last edited by Eric Lyublinsky; Aug 8, 2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by fury656

Staying on topic to some extent have you experienced any issues with your STi so far?
The only issues for my vehicle have been installer oafs breaking or scratching parts. The tint guy split a rubber window seal and the stereo guys broke off my armrest clasp and scratched the console. They are fixing them though.

I was just kidding about the STi being faster. I think both cars are sweet and it is a drivers race to be sure. It is a great time for compact performance vehicles. Enjoy the one you got OR dance with the one that brung ya!
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: is da STI batter than EVO ( in USA )

For the extra $3k, I can get my EVO fly.... The STI owner will smell my exhaust fumes.

Originally posted by yoyoyoyoming

I saw a website say STI faster than EVO ( In US. ) , Is dat ture ??
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: is da STI batter than EVO ( in USA )

Originally posted by chinalfr
For the extra $3k, I can get my EVO fly.... The STI owner will smell my exhaust fumes.

Drivers race stock with both on 93 octane... or 110 for the sti.
Mod for mod I have confidence in the proven 4G63 over the new EJ25. Also, I dont mind the STi, to insult it is almost like insulting my own car. Time to chase down some Crapvettes and Rustangs.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by fury656

KZGTR, you wouldn't happen to be a Nasioc or Iclub guy would you? Subaru is just as notorious for shunning defects as Mitsubishi so I wouldn't praise their quality control just yet. Also It'll be interesting to see how the detuning affects the overall HP output since timing was supposedly far too aggressive in the the fat range of the STi's powerband. We shall see...
I alomst bet they have richen the mixture up on the car also taking away HP. It will be interesting when people start to have them re-flashed and their comments after!
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sccavee

I alomst bet they have richen the mixture up on the car also taking away HP. It will be interesting when people start to have them re-flashed and their comments after!
They are pulling timing. Riching it up would reduce power. Pulling a little timing will help they will still be able to claim the 300/300. All SOA needs to do is pull timing (or with the Subaru ECU reduce the range in witch the timing goes up to). Easy fix. really.

Eric
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:35 AM

Man oh man - some of the members on this forum really kill me. YES - I drive (and love) an '04 STi. NO - I don't hate the Evo. Why would I? As far as I'm concerned BOTH are great cars. What else for 30k can get you these kind of times and performances? NOTHING! I've had my STi for 3 weeks, have 2200 miles on it, run Sunoco 94 religiously, have taken it to redline at WOT, and have NEVER experienced any det/ping. Subaru responded with an ECU reflash to address this problem within TWO MONTHS. That (to me) is fairly impressive and a great sign of taking care of their customers.
In the time I've had this car I've had 1 Porsche, 2 Corvettes and 1 M3 owner compliment me on my car. Why is it that Mitsubishi drivers can't stop insulting it? They are BOTH great cars folks.....bottom line is that it comes down to the driver and the buyers tastes/preference.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: STI chip re-map

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

And for your information, when the dealers first starting to notice this SOA said it was normal. It took them well over 4months to come out with the fix. Plus only very few dealers have it as of now to see if it works.

Thank you for informing me of nothing.

The four STI's that I have driven have pinged on 93oct. It's fact, like it or not. Subaru was trying to stick it to as much as they could in the HP war. So the ing advance with throw the roof.

Sti is a great car!! Hands down if they did not import the EVO I would be all over the STI (when fixed).

Eric
STI wasn't relased 4 month ago. People started to get them after June.
well, do you see any fix for the weak EVO clutch yet?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by STiDayDreamin'
Why is it that Mitsubishi drivers can't stop insulting it? They are BOTH great cars folks.....bottom line is that it comes down to the driver and the buyers tastes/preference.
First off I couldn't agree more with your last statement. I never insulted it, although I did poke at an obvious problem much like Subaru guys do with our clutch issues, although both are isolated to some extent. Please do not attempt to praise Subaru's quality control they brushed off owner's claims since launch and only now addressed the issue. Also, I see far more bashing/ trash talk on Nasioc/Iclub/ClubWRX then on Evom, most of the actual enthusiasts here respect the STi and take it on its obvious merits.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: STI chip re-map

Originally posted by KZGTR

STI wasn't relased 4 month ago. People started to get them after June.
well, do you see any fix for the weak EVO clutch yet?
Early May is when I drove one (FYI) not to nit pick.

And The weak clutch was planned. If was a company making a High HP car that was very tunable I would also throw weak clutch in. Knowing full well US Americas love to drag race. My clutch is fine and will be fine for a good long time.

Don't for get SOA put in some kinda of Valve to not allow clutch droping in the 03 and up..

Thank you come again

Eric