Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believed the Works vs Vishnu dyno shootout would have been more to everyones' likings if it was held at a neutral dyno site, done on a stock Evo with dyno before and after mods for comparison sake, with various different configurations such as: Works reflash, reflash + Axleback exhale, exede, exede+ boost control, exede+boost+ catback, etc.
Yes, some configurations may produce more power than similiar config. from one tuner than from another, but i doubt that it would translate into significant performance advantages, bragging rights for sure!
Another side of the matter is that Works and Vishnu appeal to different clients.
Works with it's 3 yr warranty, stealth configuration, excellent client feedback with handsoff no tinkling no thinking just stomp on it and go conservative approach, versus Vishnu with it's piggback unit with adjustable boost can further be refined through fine-tuning by Client and /or Shiv himself gives it a theoradical power advantage, although when you add in dyno time and costs, can easily cost at least twice as much as the Works reflash.

As you can see, it's different stokes for different folks!

By the way, thanks to the folks at Vishnu for their wonderful food!

Wilson
Old Aug 8, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wilson1
... although when you add in dyno time and costs, can easily cost at least twice as much as the Works reflash.
But the end results/gains aren't necessarily the same.

Shiv
Old Aug 8, 2003, 09:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

But the end results/gains aren't necessarily the same.

Shiv
An old oval track engine builder once told me that if you want to see what kind of power delivery you have, take it to a drag strip. I've even had an open wheel car builder say something along the same lines. (drag racing bores me these days as I've been there and gotten the tall T-shirt) I've grown tired of all the dick comparing... Anyone have Shiv's stage zero in the Central/South Texas area? River City on IH 10 just south of Seguin...
Old Aug 8, 2003, 09:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this Sunday... Monday if their open.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by n00dle
It's only misinformation if you interpret it to be. The original poster just posted a graph without detail. No one was trying to downplay anyone. It's all in your heads. Some times you have to do your own homework to find the truth, not heresay on some board.
noodle - You are correct, it isn't actually misinformation........... its simply information that can be misleading as presented.

BTW- I realize that the guy who originally posted wasn't necessarily trying to be malicious, and that he was just trying to provide some info to other EVO owners. He picked a pretty volatile and provocative subject though, and should realize its going to get a wide variety of response's. My apologies to him if it sounded like I was coming down on him personally, as its the actual info/dyno chart overlay that I find concerning.

The last two sentences of your above post are dead-on accurate. The problem is that more than a few people who own EVO's on this board, are first time turbo car owners and are trying to learn as much as they can about different tuning options.

Understanding the details between the lines isn't always a simple task "of doing your homework". What ends-up in many peoples heads may be an unwarranted negative bias against an excellent product because they rely on the "experts" opinions.

The argument referencing the other two stock EVO dyno results against Wilsons car is pointless as a method for determining the value of the Works tuning products. There is really no way of knowing where Wilsons car would have baselined at stock on the Dyno Dynamics Dyno prior to installing the Works mods.

The bottom line is that the only true way to validate the performance gains of either the XEDE or the Works tuning solutions in a fair comparison against each other, is to dyno test using a common stock EVO as a baseline car, and then methodically testing and documenting each solution on the same day on the same dyno using the same process.

This of course, did not happen, and as far as I am concerned relying on any of the random dyno results from different cars as gospel, is like taking biblical scripture out of context. It can be used effectively to promote ideas and personal views, but at the end of the day doesn't necessarily represent the truth.

Sorry for the long post, and for beating this dead horse one more time. I truly do not stand behind either Shiv or David on this one, but just wish a meaningful comparison could have occured for the benefit and enlightenment of the EVO owner group in general.

N10S
Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:50 PM
Account Disabled

Was the guy running regular gas or something? A stock Evo should have 230WHP on 93, and with the WORKs mods a nice 260WHP, I don't get it.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by umiami80
Was the guy running regular gas or something? A stock Evo should have 230WHP on 93, and with the WORKs mods a nice 260WHP, I don't get it.
umiami80,

On a typical dyno, such as a dynojet, you are correct. Most stock evo's typically put out 220-240 whp, and as u stated above, 25-30 more with the reflash.

However, Shiv's dyno is a dynometer, and dynometers typically show approx. 20-30 whp less. Moreover, a stock evo @93 ocatane will usually put down 195-205 whp.