Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works on the dyno

Well I was not there for the dyno day, but I did find a pic or two.

Wow, and this one had Works Throttle body, exhaust, and "brain"

Just food for thought
Attached Thumbnails Works on the dyno-confused.jpg  
Old Aug 7, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

What does 211 hp translate to on a dynojet? About 250 hp? I don't think the WORKS throttle body has much effect on hp, if it did they would be showing off dyno plots with it. Tha brain flash on the other hand looks pretty good on the dyno imo because u have more hp throughout the top end to 7500 rpm with about 25 more peak hp and more torque. Seems pretty good to me for just a $450 flash if u look at the graph on their site. Everyone that has it seems pretty happy with the results. I guess it all depends on what your total plan for the car is.

How did the people feel about it after having there cars dyno'd by Shiv?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

In fairness I would have liked to have seen what that car did with a stock computer. % increase etc.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mojo
Everyone that has it seems pretty happy with the results. I guess it all depends on what your total plan for the car is.
So far VERY happy! Put it in and don't worry about a damn thing.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Don't look at the number. It's better to look at the differences between the stock run and the modified run. That's the reason that they include both on a dyno sheet.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:57 AM
Ron
Evolving Member

Is it just me or is the stock setup making more midrange torque than the Works setup?? It looks like the Works setup helps power at the high end, but *hurts* performance everywhere else. Do my eyes deceive?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ron
Is it just me or is the stock setup making more midrange torque than the Works setup?? It looks like the Works setup helps power at the high end, but *hurts* performance everywhere else. Do my eyes deceive?
What are you looking at?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The off-axis picture of a flickering monitor makes it hard to decipher, but it looks to me like the stock torque is lower in the midrange, but actually greater at higher RPM, like maybe the area under the curve is about the same. Again, to me, it looks like the HP of stock is a little higher in midange, but drops off as RPM rises.

I'm struggling with Works set-up or Vishnu Stage 1. It looks to me like both have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly, I am not willing to sacrifice midrange for all top end. Sort of like comparing my ZRX1200 and ZX-9R. Sure, on the track at high RPM, the 9 makes more power, but around town, the roll-on torque of the 1200 is a whole lot more streetable.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

That plot does look funny to me. I can tell you that my car with the just brain feels like the dyno plot looks on WORKS website. I definitely have more power than stock throughout the entire rev range. We'll see what mine looks like next week on a dynojet. I'll compare it to a stock car at the same time.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 05:08 PM

Sorry I did not take the picture.

All I see is they are not making the hp they are claiming. If it only had the reflash, ok... but not that and the throttle body and their exhaust (muffler back).
Old Aug 8, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

I tied to blow it up a bit.

Old Aug 8, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Hello , everyone,

Don't be misinformed by the dyno graph!
It has 2 different dyno results from 2 different vehicles superimposed, and is not typical of what one can expected with a reflash.
The most telling would be on the same identical vehicle done before and after.
Thats my car that was on the dyno, and since my baseline is on a dynojet rather than on dyno dynamic at Vishnu, i would not know what the gains are as i didnot have it dynoed after the mods, but i can assures everyone, it's not a 5 hp gain!!!

Wilson
Old Aug 8, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wilson1
Hello , everyone,

Don't be misinformed by the dyno graph!
It has 2 different dyno results from 2 different vehicles superimposed, and is not typical of what one can expected with a reflash.
The most telling would be on the same identical vehicle done before and after.
Thats my car that was on the dyno, and since my baseline is on a dynojet rather than on dyno dynamic at Vishnu, i would not know what the gains are as i didnot have it dynoed after the mods, but i can assures everyone, it's not a 5 hp gain!!!

Wilson

Wilson, thanks for re-clarifying the situation. Its unfortunate that you have to do that, but clearly the ability to confuse and misinform by using a totally pointless dyno overlay of two different cars to downplay the Work Re-flash is quite evident.

I am starting to really question peoples motives at this point, and can only imagine that the other Works equipped owner is pretty glad that he didn't offer-up his car for testing at this point.

The scary thing is that I am sure a lot of Vishnu disciples buy-off on it, but anyone with half a brain knows that there is no way that the Works mods in question would add up to a measly 5whp over the original baseline. Sorry, but it just doesn't add-up in any way shape or form.

The worst part is that this kind of misinformation doesn't help anyone make logical decisions.....it just creates bias through misinformation.

My opinionated .02

N10S
Old Aug 8, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hi guys,

Yep, that's two different cars. Wilsons car was dyno'd first and the other stock was dyno'd right after. There was another stocker that dyno'd after that and put down 195-197whp, IIRC. I believe both stockers had a torque advantage below 5000rpm. Above 5000rpm, Wilson's car had the advantage. At 72000RPM, the hp difference was significant (around 25 wheel hp). But comparing peak hp to peak hp (which isn't the whole story), yes, there was a 5-8 whp difference.

Just my 2c,
Shiv
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

It's only misinformation if you interpret it to be. The original poster just posted a graph without detail. No one was trying to downplay anyone. It's all in your heads. Some times you have to do your own homework to find the truth, not heresay on some board.

Quick Reply: Works on the dyno