Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice

Hi, my name is Mark and I am new to the forums. I am looking to pick up a evo in the next couple weeks. I read the newbie section and got some good info out of it,but still found myself with a few questions. I have looked at a decent amount of cars in the past week, some good and some not so much. I drove an 03 a few months back and liked it a lot,but I definitly think I want an 05 or 06.

I drove a 2005 Evo RS on Friday and liked it, but it was not in the condition that I would like. It was slightly modded and had definitly been driven hard. The throttle was sticking which was odd and the interior had some burn marks in the seat and scratches on the dash, but I still got a good idea of how it drove.

Saturday I went to another dealership and drove a 06 RS which was the total opposite. This car had 16k on it and was completely stock. It was in great condition inside and out. First impressions when driving it was that it was definitly a bit quicker than the 05 and seemed very solid. I liked it a lot and thought about buying it right then,but I really find that I want a white one and this was red. They were asking $25,900 for it, which seemed a bit high,but this was a dealership.

I really like the RS model because of the lightness, would someone mind telling me exactly what is different with them? Does the RS ever come with the stock wing?

This car will be my daily for awile and then might eventually take the place of my MR2T track car. That is why I was thinking the RS would better suit me,but I did find the manual locks to be a bit of a pain,expecially on a four door.

Lastly,I have a general idea of what they normally go for. I would like the 06 if possible, but would like to make sure it fits my budget. Is it possible to get a evo 9 gsr for under 27k or is the rs my only option?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by MarkL; Apr 27, 2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok you can def get a nice evo for less then 27k, DO NOT buy a car if you already see things wrong with it. That means they didnt take care of it at all.....

RS's do not come with wings, however you can always buy one on here and put it on. I have an 03 and love it, very strong and very solid.......

White is a great color, but also common like the blues. If I were to choose out of the cars you wanted I would have to say an 05, very good year. As for Value just look it up on KBB.com or Nada. KBB.com tends to be more higher in value than Nada.com. Very easy to look up. Noone can tell you the value since we do not know the miles, condition, and what nots! Good luck!

SJ

Last edited by SpeedJunkyz; Apr 27, 2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 06:59 PM

Also,this has probably been discussed before, but I had no luck finding it. If you could direct me to any info on the rs differences,that would be great.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

No radio, No Spolier, Lighter....there you go lol
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
Ok you can def get a nice evo for less then 27k, DO NOT buy a car if you already see things wrong with it. That means they didnt take care of it at all.....

RS's do not come with wings, however you can always buy one on here and put it on. I have an 03 and love it, very strong and very solid.......

White is a great color, but also common like the blues. If I were to choose out of the cars you wanted I would have to say an 05, very good year. As for Value just look it up on KBB.com or Nada. KBB.com tends to be more higher in value than Nada.com. Very easy to look up. Noone can tell you the value since we do not know the miles, condition, and what nots! Good luck!

SJ
Thanks for the quick response, I checked the value on the 05 I looked at before I went and it was $19,200,but the dealership seemed to think it was worth 23k even with the problems so I walked away. Buying a stock car is definitly a priority of mine and I do not want to settle for anything with mods.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...cer_comparison

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/speci...lution_rs-1082
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks!

That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah its touchy with mods......They mark it up so you can beat them up....there is plenty of room in that evo to play with.....offer like 18k and see what they say. More than likely they will refuse so then walk away......

Also look VERY closely to bolts all over the car.....Look like an a*shole if you have to, but look for bolts that look like they were taken off, broken loose, replaced, etc. etc. Just because its stock doesnt mean it was stock lol. Alot if not all Evo owners put back to stock before selling........Make sure all VIn #'s match all the way around the car......even if they were taped over to get painted I would look for that aswell.......I shopped my evo for like 7 months before buying it....I bought it modded with gauges and catback and knowing it needed some love on the body, but I also bought it for 19k back in 2003. I bought it for a project.......

Last edited by SpeedJunkyz; Apr 27, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:34 PM

Yeah I told them $18,500 and of course they said that was insulting and I said "well thats what this car is worth in this condition". They told me they could do 21k bottom line and I walked. Later that day they called and said they would do 20k for it and I told them I would think about it. Honestly, if i'm spending the money to get a newer car I would rather spend more and get something in excellent condition.

BTW,Do the RS models have AC?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I think so, not 100% on that though.......Im about 85% lol

If he called you and gave you a lower number than I would have to say he is desperate. Sit on it little longer and offer him 19k........then call it a day.....
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MarkL
Yeah I told them $18,500 and of course they said that was insulting and I said "well thats what this car is worth in this condition". They told me they could do 21k bottom line and I walked. Later that day they called and said they would do 20k for it and I told them I would think about it. Honestly, if i'm spending the money to get a newer car I would rather spend more and get something in excellent condition.

BTW,Do the RS models have AC?

In fact I have a buddy who might sell his 05 SSL basically stock, he babied it. Awesome condition.....if you are interested.......let me know I will call him up

SJ
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
sk8

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/627146215.html

ftw.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice evo...... any other pics though?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
In fact I have a buddy who might sell his 05 SSL basically stock, he babied it. Awesome condition.....if you are interested.......let me know I will call him up

SJ
I would be interested, but I really want a hardtop car and I know the SSL has the moonroof.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

o ok, thats cool Ill just buy it then haha when I have it lol

Quick Reply: Looking for advice