Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

After market gauges (DEFI) compatability with stock MR sources?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After market gauges (DEFI) compatability with stock MR sources?

I did a search for some info on this, and came up with squat, so if it's a reposted question, I apologize.

1. Is it best to use the stock vacuum line attached to the MR's for an aftermarket boost gauge? Obviously this line is convenient, as it is in-cabin, but is it the best place to tap for an aftermarket boost gauge like the Defi unit?

2. How close is the stock oil temp sensor to the Defi sensor? Any way I can apply the stock one to to the Defi control unit? Does the Defi oil temp sensor just thread into the oil drain plug anyway?

So, if anybody's installed these type Defi gauges on an IX MR, lemme know what works best.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

if ur trying to put the defi gauges in where ur MR gauges are, they wont fit. i belive the MR gauges are slightly smaller u will have to make the hoes bigger. but as far as the boost line and oil i would just run what defi gives u with there gauges u will get the most accurate ready
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:04 PM

Nope, Ive got the gruppe-s console on the way for the 60mm gauges. I'm just interested in possibly using the stock hookups. Where does the stock vacuum line even 'T' off from? Just curious.

Edit: I found the DEFI .pdf installation manual. I think I'm just going to use the provided sensors. In hindsight, this thread seems silly and trivial. Moderators: feel free to delete.

Last edited by gkmunch; Apr 28, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

if u go under the hood.....look towards the fire wall. the intake manifold there should be a black hose running somewhere above it with a "T" into the line. thats where mine is
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:56 AM

The defi gauges use remote senders so you don't really run any hoses at all. Just wires.

As far as the stock MR oil temp sensor goes, I can't help you there.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gkmunch
Nope, Ive got the gruppe-s console on the way for the 60mm gauges. I'm just interested in possibly using the stock hookups. Where does the stock vacuum line even 'T' off from? Just curious.

Edit: I found the DEFI .pdf installation manual. I think I'm just going to use the provided sensors. In hindsight, this thread seems silly and trivial. Moderators: feel free to delete.
FPR by the intake manifold.. it is also terribly routed through the fender... replace and zip tie the hose... and putty up the hole above the kick panel so water does not get in your car!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 05:43 PM

I tapped into the factory boost line when I installed my Autometer boost gauge last year. I actually just used a t-fitting and used a little bit of extra hose so that I could use both the stock MR boost gauge and the Autometer one (I don't have anything else to replace the MR gauge at the moment, and I didn't want it to be sitting there not doing anything).

I haven't had any issues, and the gauge seems to be accurate (had it tuned by Dynoflash last spring and it seems to match up with what the boost level was set at).
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Geese1
I tapped into the factory boost line when I installed my Autometer boost gauge last year. I actually just used a t-fitting and used a little bit of extra hose so that I could use both the stock MR boost gauge and the Autometer one (I don't have anything else to replace the MR gauge at the moment, and I didn't want it to be sitting there not doing anything).

I haven't had any issues, and the gauge seems to be accurate (had it tuned by Dynoflash last spring and it seems to match up with what the boost level was set at).
i did the same thing with my defi blue racer boost gage and the MR boost gage. works fine.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

the defi oil temp gage sensor is bigger then the stock one and it will not fit into the oil pan.