Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Windshield Cracking Already? WTF? Possibly Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008 | 09:30 PM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

Unhappy Windshield Cracking Already? WTF? Possibly Warranty?

The windshield on my '06 IX is already starting to spider on the drivers side, just below the wiper blade.

The fracture point is on the inside of the windshield, so it wasn't from a rock. In fact, when you run your finger over any of the cracks in the glass it's completely smooth.

Think I can warranty this? The car has less than 6k on the clock.

Old May 5, 2008 | 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure but could you use one of those window repair kits?
Old May 5, 2008 | 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

You might be able to, I'd take it to the dealer and find out if they can do anthing for you. I know the Evo has a thinner windshield than a regular Lancer, but it doesn't make sense as to why it would be cracking from the inside. It might just be a defect in the glass. Good luck with it.
Old May 5, 2008 | 09:36 PM
EvoM Community Team

I'm wondering if anyone on the boards has had Mitsubishi cover their windshield under the warranty.
Old May 6, 2008 | 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
I'm wondering if anyone on the boards has had Mitsubishi cover their windshield under the warranty.
yes, i have.

you just have to be firm with them.

i noticed you have an 06 so i dont know why that wouldn't be under warranty plus you live in CA, correct? so they cant say it was due to in-climate "weather" i.e very cold weather ((below freezing))

i am assuming it cracked when you had your windshield de froster on high and you were going up a steep hill. every time i have seen a windshield crack from the inside this has had something to do with it.
Old May 6, 2008 | 10:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

What stealership do you recommend? I love on the peninsula in NorCal.

Old May 8, 2008 | 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem duno how it happen
Old May 8, 2008 | 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think warranty will cover that. It's normal wear and happens all the time when you're following big trucks I'm sure you can get the insurance to cover that but deductible may be on you though. Good luck
Old May 9, 2008 | 12:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
I don't think warranty will cover that. It's normal wear and happens all the time when you're following big trucks I'm sure you can get the insurance to cover that but deductible may be on you though. Good luck
Just a follow-up. Since there was no damage on the outside of the windshield, it was replaced, under warranty by the dealership at no cost to me.

Nice to see them take care of their customers. To anyone in the SF bay area, I highly recommend San Rafael Mitsubishi. Pete in the service department and Steven in the parts department are friendly and really know their stuff.

Old May 9, 2008 | 10:34 PM
BGR
Evolving Member

Glad to hear it worked okay for you. Just curious, did something ever hit your windshield? Maybe a little rock on the highway? Its strange for a windshield to just start cracking for no reason. My buddy was changing his wiper blades, left the arm up and the wind knocked it down when it had to wiper and cracked the windshield.

Originally Posted by golgo13
Just a follow-up. Since there was no damage on the outside of the windshield, it was replaced, under warranty by the dealership at no cost to me.

Nice to see them take care of their customers. To anyone in the SF bay area, I highly recommend San Rafael Mitsubishi. Pete in the service department and Steven in the parts department are friendly and really know their stuff.

Old May 9, 2008 | 10:41 PM
Account Disabled

I've got SEVERAL chips on my IX but no cracks yet. ::knock on wood::
Old May 10, 2008 | 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

In my state the insurance company is required to pay for a winshield if its cracked the tiniest bit free of charge...why bother going to the dealer they can come to YOUR HOUSE!!!
Old May 10, 2008 | 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

My 06 also had a very similar crack, going across half of the windshield, and it was growing
I had it covered by the insurance, because it would've been a hassle to work with the dealer. I also needed to get that fixed ASAP
Old May 10, 2008 | 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Good to hear they warrantied the windshield. I will have to keep San Rafael Mitsu in mind if I need anything major done.
Old May 11, 2008 | 10:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by BGR
Just curious, did something ever hit your windshield? Maybe a little rock on the highway? Its strange for a windshield to just start cracking for no reason.
It was on the inside of the glass, Pete ran a ballpoint pen across the area where the glass had started to crack and there wasn't even a scratch. It was evident that nothing had struck the windshield in that area.

The guy that replaced the windshield said that it was faulty glass, so I just chalk it up as so-so quality.

I've heard about the windshields and the paint on our Evos as not being the greatest and I'm personally seeing it first hand. Though, I didn't buy the car for it's paint or the windshield.