Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car shut off while driving home today - Won't Start Now.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shut off while driving home today - Won't Start Now.

Well Thank God for Mitsu Roadside Assistance, the lady on the phone was annoying as I had to repeat myself 4 times for everything she asked me. Anyways 20 min after I got off the phone the tow truck arrived and took me to the nearest dealership.

So anyways here is the problem. I was driving home, I was braking to stop at a stop sign ahead and the car just shut off. In the rain, in the middle of rush hour. No bogging, no wierd noises nothing. I turn the key and it cranks, but it doesn't start. I read the post about the other guy whos car randomly shuts off, I wonder if I'm having the save problems...

Once I got to the dealership I had to find the Sales Manager to open the service bay so that my car would be locked up inside the dealership. (Kids like to steal wheels, etc around Evo's from dealerships in the Twin Cities). So the manager starts asking me about mods, and if I raced my car...I kept kinda quiet, and he told me that by the looks of my car I shouldn't expect to have it covered by warranty...

Anyways the Service Dept. opens at 7am tomorrow. Going to cost $115 for them to diagnose the problem. I checked under the hood, no weird smells, nothing obviously unplugged or loose...We'll see I guess.

Almost 33k on my car - Mods: AEM Intake, ARP Headstuds, Buschur LICP, Cosworth Cams, Cosworth Head Gasket, DC Sports DP w/ Cat Delete, Greddy TI-C, PTE 1000cc Injectors, Walbro 255...I was getting ready to get tuned on E85 at the end of the month.

Anyone else have this happen?

Last edited by Chukee_R; May 6, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing could have jumped a few teeth.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

mmmmmmmmmm shuts off maybe the fuel pump...take a look and see if everything is working right a got same problem in my car..
Old May 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Fuel pump...
Old May 7, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

x2 on the FP
Old May 7, 2008, 07:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the drivers side kick panel for corroded wires.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Check your spark plugs too. I always have my toolbox in the trunk for this reason. Things will go wrong when you start modding so its good to at least be prepared to check everything that you can check before throwing in the towel and calling somebody.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like engine Fuse........happend to me couple times...........two fuses for engine one under the hood and above the clutch pedal....I bet one is bad swop fuse and start right up

PS

my sensor on my test pipe was grounding out under the car against the chasis causing this
Old May 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OtownEvo
Sounds like engine Fuse........happend to me couple times...........two fuses for engine one under the hood and above the clutch pedal....I bet one is bad swop fuse and start right up

PS

my sensor on my test pipe was grounding out under the car against the chasis causing this
The exact thing happened to me. I had the anti-fouler on my o2 sensor and it was a little too long causing it to rub against the chassis. Too bad your car is in the dealership, now they can make a bunch of BS so they could steal your wallet.
Old May 7, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

start with the easy things first and just eliminate things. Check all fuses first, both in cabin and under the hood. I would next get a buddy, crank the motor over with a plug pulled out and grounded to the motor to make sure your getting spark to all cylinders.. then crack the fuel line going into the rail to ensure fuel pressure.. gas should be presurized and squirt out.. then if all thats well its most likely a timing issue. either the ecu possibly crapped out.. you can usually smell a bad ecu if you take it out.. or maybe like staatz said your tbelt jumped a few teeth. I had a similar problem in my driveway.. it turned out the belt jumped 3 teeth on the exhaust cam and 1 tooth on the intake cam..hope this can help eliminate things..
Old May 7, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Blew #8 fuse.

Dealer wouldnt warranty cause I have a turbo timer tapped into the ignition which according to them "adds additional stress to the circuitry of the vehicle". I didn't know that wiring things into the ignition would affect a #8 fuse versus the ignition fuse......They also decided to give me a run down of things which they would not warranty on my car in the future because of mods. How nice of them to perform such a service!

Anyways they charged me $105 for a diagnostic and $4 for a fuse. Atleast towing was free. Oh, and the dealership offered me a "FREE COMPLIMENTARY" car wash since they couldn't qualify the diagnostic and fuse replacement as warranty work. Sucks when it's raining out and your car dies at a 4 way stop and is blocking one lane during rush hour. All I could think of at that point was getting out of the middle of the road.

I read about the o2 sensor thing. My first though is that it was raining so maybe some water splashed and shorted it out. I fired up the car in the driveway and got out the garden hose and left it soak the area for about 5 min while my car was running and nothing happened.

I got a package of 5 20A fuses and an Emergency Fuse kit now in my glove box. If it keeps happening I am going to replace the o2 sensor. It was rubbing on the bottom of my car for a bit a couple of weeks ago, but I moved it to a new o2 bung.

Last edited by Chukee_R; May 7, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you got it sorted out..
Old May 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

In other news after reading this forum more...I found out that blowing Fuse #8 commonly happens when an o2 sensor grounds out...typically from the o2 sensor rubbing against the bottom of the car...a couple weeks ago I moved my o2 sensor to a different bung because it was vibrating up against the bottom of my car...Anyways I pulled out the o2 sensor today and low and behold...part of the plastic shielding to one of the wires for the o2 sensor has ripped away leaving bare wire exposed...my guess is that the rain yesterday shorted it out which lead to the fuse blowing...

For now the o2 sensor is unplugged so that it doesn't short out again. I'll just drive around with a CEL versus my car blowing a fuse in the middle of the road again...What pains me is that a MASTER MECHANIC at Walser Mitsubishi worked on my car today and overlooked this...A simple search for "Fuse" on EvoM brings up dozens of posts with people blowing #8 cause the o2 bung grounded out...

Anyways the "turbo timer adds additional stress to the circuits" line is complete bull**** now. I am tempted to call the dealer tomorrow and call them out.
Old May 8, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chukee_R
In other news after reading this forum more...I found out that blowing Fuse #8 commonly happens when an o2 sensor grounds out...typically from the o2 sensor rubbing against the bottom of the car...a couple weeks ago I moved my o2 sensor to a different bung because it was vibrating up against the bottom of my car...Anyways I pulled out the o2 sensor today and low and behold...part of the plastic shielding to one of the wires for the o2 sensor has ripped away leaving bare wire exposed...my guess is that the rain yesterday shorted it out which lead to the fuse blowing...

For now the o2 sensor is unplugged so that it doesn't short out again. I'll just drive around with a CEL versus my car blowing a fuse in the middle of the road again...What pains me is that a MASTER MECHANIC at Walser Mitsubishi worked on my car today and overlooked this...A simple search for "Fuse" on EvoM brings up dozens of posts with people blowing #8 cause the o2 bung grounded out...

Anyways the "turbo timer adds additional stress to the circuits" line is complete bull**** now. I am tempted to call the dealer tomorrow and call them out.

Glad u got squared away.......I stopped going to dealers they dont know anything...........Good idea carrying fuses i have box full in the glove box

With 02 sensor I wrapped it electical tape have not had problem since.......
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:26 PM

I've got a lancer oz rally but im having some what of the same problem. could you tell me where the #8 fuse is?

Quick Reply: Car shut off while driving home today - Won't Start Now.