Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer offering to buy my car

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer offering to buy my car

Hey guys. So I have my 03 up for sale and there's been a couple of dealers that are offering to buy the car off of me. Now, I've got one of the dealer to agree with the price I wanted and they want to do the transaction ASAP. They way the sales guy explained it to me is that I'll take the car in to them, they'll have their mechanic take a look at it. Once everything checks out, they'll have me sign a Bill of Sale, a Federal Odometer statement and sign over the title to them. After all that, he said it'll take them a day or so to cut me a check and once they receive the check from corporate (the dealer's corp HQ not Mitsu) they release to me and I'll be on my way.

Given that this is a dealership, is there anything that may sound fishy to you guys? I've met with them before and they're a legit dealership in the area but I wanted to see if anyone can give me any tips to look out for once I start the ball rolling with this transaction.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:53 AM

do not sign the title until u have a certified check in hand. think about it they would not let you have a car unless they have money in hand or signed loan papers. this does not sound on the up and up.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jonjon123
do not sign the title until u have a certified check in hand. think about it they would not let you have a car unless they have money in hand or signed loan papers. this does not sound on the up and up.
+1
Old May 7, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

no check in hand no sale..period.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

sounds to me like they are going to play a switch a roo on the numbers. i wouldn't sign the title until you have a completed bill of sale and check in hand.

STevo
Old May 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I concur with all of the above statements. Think about it this way, a store wouldn't let you leave their establishment with some of their merchandise without you first paying for it. This is not different, except this time you are the store and they are the purchaser.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

all correct, dont go for it unless you get the money when you leave ur car. no way would they let you take their car so **** no dont give them yours!!!! and the switching of the numbers sounds like a great possibility. think about this, after you leave them ur car for inspection their guy says o idk they make up some bs like theres a bad bearing in the tranny and their gonna need a new one so they took off $3K. what are you gonna do after you signed them the title. maybe court but then your gonna waste alot of time and money.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are they offering if you dont mind me asking.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

its also very strange why they want to buy a car off of you. just to resell?! if you also dont mind what was the reason they gave you....... VERY curious
Old May 7, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

looks like subie and mitsu must be hurting..i just got a similar letter from subaru about my 06 legacy turbo..they are offering top dollar for trade.. im not going to do it though..just funny is all..justin
Old May 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah very strange indeed be careful
Old May 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
many dealers have a customer who is already pre-approved on a car and they go out and find it.. So chances are they have it sold for alot more than they are paying you which is fine.. still i would not hand over the car til you have a check in your hand..
Old May 7, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

It is a marketing ploy. They offer to buy your car back for top dollar to get you into the dealership. Once they have you on their turf they commence to use various sales tactics to convince you to buy a new car. They have to move their current stock in order to make money. They will in turn sell your previous car for a profit. It's all about making them money.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I did this same situation with South Coast Mistu. Sold my IX MR straight out, and didn't buy a X off of them. I walked out with just a paper contract. My bank had the title. They paid it off with no problems.

That dealer would have to have some big ***** to buy ur car with a contract then not actually pay for it.
Old May 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it sound ledgit. I sold my bike to the dealer and got my check the same day. To make the long story short, I put a 4Sale sign on my bike and for a month, no one calls. I ask $2800 including helmet and jacket. I call the dealer to see if they want to buy it back. Talk to a salesman and he told me to bring it down. Took it down to the dealer, he looked over it and said $2500, and if I want to sell it, he'll have the finance dept cut me a check. SOLD. Kindda miss it though since gas price is going skyrocket.

Like others say, make sure you get the check first then you can give them the keys. Good luck