Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Huge person seat&harness question

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huge person seat&harness question

Hey everyone!!

I've been considering getting racing seats for quite a while - not straight bucket seats but something that has a higher thigh support than the stockers. Now you need to understand that I'm a mountain (2 meters, 140kg - in US measurements that would be 6 feet 7 inches and 307 pounds). Now finding a seat that my tiny little as$ fits in was hard enough but finding one that would have harness holes higher than my shoulders are is impossible. Now the issue here is safety. I've tried to find anything written about this but is it an issue? It would mean that the harness would run through the holes and would be resting on my shoulders, not the seat holes. My imagination and physics theory tells me that it would compress me a few inches in case of a frontal hit.

If anyone has any insight on this I'd really appreciate the comments, but please speak if you know what you're talking about. "Get a Sparco harness bar" comments aren't what I'm looking for.
Old May 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Bump with my 100th post.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

No one willing to help the big with some info?
Old May 12, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 6'5" and 315lbs. So i know where your coming from. Its a hassle getting in and out of cars lol!
Old May 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
I'm 6'5" and 315lbs. So i know where your coming from. Its a hassle getting in and out of cars lol!
I really don't mind that much if it sucks getting in and out, just wanna seat tight when taking a turn. I race the local roads around here at night and it's basicly empty "mountain" roads with really tight turns and I'm sick of bloody knees and thighs from holding on to everything instead of focusing on the pedals and the steering wheel!
Old May 13, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody likes fat people! Aka bump.
Old May 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
Hey everyone!!

I've been considering getting racing seats for quite a while - not straight bucket seats but something that has a higher thigh support than the stockers. Now you need to understand that I'm a mountain (2 meters, 140kg - in US measurements that would be 6 feet 7 inches and 307 pounds). Now finding a seat that my tiny little as$ fits in was hard enough but finding one that would have harness holes higher than my shoulders are is impossible. Now the issue here is safety. I've tried to find anything written about this but is it an issue? It would mean that the harness would run through the holes and would be resting on my shoulders, not the seat holes. My imagination and physics theory tells me that it would compress me a few inches in case of a frontal hit.

If anyone has any insight on this I'd really appreciate the comments, but please speak if you know what you're talking about. "Get a Sparco harness bar" comments aren't what I'm looking for.
I think you are correct if you were to try and use the harnesses it would compress your back which would definately suck. you should look into a custom job to be done so that you have the proper safety equiptment installed to prevent injury. the thing is that I dont think that any racing seat has been designed to supprot your frame and size unfrotunately so custom it up
Old May 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

hmm good question I think its the height that is more the issue other then just your weight I mean 6'7'' 307 your a just a tall dude in general I dont really know a seat that would help that much with that.
Old May 13, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 5'9 135lbs I slide around WITHIN the seat...
Old May 14, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Look at the RaceTech RT4009WTHR. It is designed for tall folks. I am 6'3" and 280#. It is good for me as far as height goes, but is a little tight in the hips. I wear a 42-44" waist pant.

http://www.racetechseatsna.com/race_seats/RT9009.html

Good luck!