Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High Zinc Formula AMSoil?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High Zinc Formula AMSoil?

My IX is stock(ish) and at 16,000 miles. For the last few oil changes, I've been running AMSoil 10w40 since that's what they have at AMS. I know, I know, I should be running 0w30 or 10w30 (spoke to the Oil Doc yesterday ), but this stuff has been fine so far, so I'm not worried about the weight too much.

However, yesterday I went to a shop closer to my house as they told me over the phone that they carried AMSoil 10w40. I noticed that the bottle is a bit different than the stuff I usually use, though.

That's regular AMSoil 10w40. This stuff has gold font rather than white and a little star that says "High Zinc Formula" in the corner of the label. On the bottom is says "* Flat Tappets * High Performance * Heavy Duty * Higher Mileage".

And on the back: "Heavily fortified with zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives for maximum protection. Provides extra anti-wear protection required by engines with flat tappets and high tension valve springs. Ideal for high mileage vehicles."

The product code is AMO-QT.

Now my gut is telling me that it will be fine and perform no differently than regular 10w40. But I figured better safe than sorry and so here I am. I could return the stuff, but there's a 25% restocking fee I'd rather not pay if it doesn't make a difference. So, should I be worrying?

Last edited by Blitz; May 13, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt worrie to much about the content of zinc due to the fact that you have a roller motor. It cant hurt, but it may only help a little.

I run schaeffer's oil in my evo, and audi.