Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

should i buy from private party or the "dealership"??

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i buy from private party or the "dealership"??

This has been bugging me for a while, I just got done fighting one dealership over putting my head gasket in wrong and having it go out on my subaru. But i could use my car as a trade in.
But the more i start thinking about buying from a dealership the more this http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html article makes me want to buy private.

But anyways what do you guys think? Would you go dealership, or did you? Or would you go private and try to nab one here on this forum.... I'm looking for totally stock or as close as possible.

pic for your click

TIA guys!
Old May 14, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to the dealer because mine had 6 miles on it, if I was going to buy used I woud of NEVER went to the dealership unless they gave me an awesome trade in value, which they won't!
Old May 14, 2008, 09:02 AM

I'm in the same boat, I want to go to a dealer so I can trade in my speed6 early (it's a lease, 3 more months). But I don't want to get ripped off.

Private sellers seem to be the way to go with an evo. The history of the car is easier to track down, and the price is better.

The 2 evos I went to see at used car dealers were in really rough shape. In fact found my self convinced for a while that NO used evo was going to be in good shape. Another problem is finding a evo LOCALLY for sale. I've realized that I AM NOT going to be able to just locate a car 500 miles away, make some arrangements, and go pick it up. Like I would a motorcycle. Used evo's are generally at various degrees of dismay, and owners seem to list the good, and not so much the bad.

So I started looking at the evo x's, which are not going to be feasable for me. price, interior, trunk....So I'm back to looking for a used viii or ix.

Since then I've registered on this forum and I'm looking every day on the for sale forums. For me the best evo to get would be one with lower miles, from a forum member who has quite a few posts so I can look back through his posts and get a better history of the car.

Of course I'm still checking autotrader and cars.com, and looking at evos far away still too. If I find one that is perfect for me I would probably take a trip to check it out.

Last edited by rdandy5875; May 14, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

f the dealer
Old May 14, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
stealership but be ready to fight for your car
Old May 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdandy5875
I'm in the same boat, I want to go to a dealer so I can trade in my speed6 early (it's a lease, 3 more months). But I don't want to get ripped off.

Private sellers seem to be the way to go with an evo. The history of the car is easier to track down, and the price is better.

The 2 evos I went to see at used car dealers were in really rough shape. In fact found my self convinced for a while that NO used evo was going to be in good shape. Another problem is finding a evo LOCALLY for sale. I've realized that I AM NOT going to be able to just locate a car 500 miles away, make some arrangements, and go pick it up. Like I would a motorcycle. Used evo's are generally at various degrees of dismay, and owners seem to list the good, and not so much the bad.

So I started looking at the evo x's, which are not going to be feasable for me. price, interior, trunk....So I'm back to looking for a used viii or ix.

Since then I've registered on this forum and I'm looking every day on the for sale forums. For me the best evo to get would be one with lower miles, from a forum member who has quite a few posts so I can look back through his posts and get a better history of the car.

Of course I'm still checking autotrader and cars.com, and looking at evos far away still too. If I find one that is perfect for me I would probably take a trip to check it out.

Keep looking you guys you will find one that fits your needs, there are plenty of people on here that really take care of their cars and ones that are modded "correctly"! Just keep looking.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Redline-Z
Keep looking you guys you will find one that fits your needs, there are plenty of people on here that really take care of their cars and ones that are modded "correctly"! Just keep looking.
thanks man, i'm beginning to lean towards buying from this forum so we'll see.. when the times right
Old May 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by k2boarder3187
f the dealer
+1
Old May 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grenad3
thanks man, i'm beginning to lean towards buying from this forum so we'll see.. when the times right
yeah going thru private may be more of a hassle but in the end its definitely worth it. just keep your eyes and ears open and you'll find the right car.
Old May 14, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

The dealer will try to RAPE you on the trade in!! Thats what they will always do as long as people don't take a stand. Needless to say, I would go Private Party. Hope my opinion helps.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

that Edmunds story is ridiculously long Iwanted to shoot myself after the first page. You got cliff notes on it?

i.e. this is how sales people rip you off
#1....
#2....
#3.... etc.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have mixed feelings about private as well.

You can find a good car at a dealer, but you can find plenty of crap cars private.

It all depends on what you find, if you know a little about cars you can tell right away.

I personally got mine from a dealer (but they weren't mitsu) They didn't know much of the car, but I went through it extensively and the car was indeed mainly stock.

Now I'm considering selling my car, and I would have to say I am confident of my own build on my car, and I built it right, without it being crazy.

Can you trust me? Well I don't have a ton of posts on evoM here, but I've been doing DSM's forever, and local guys would know me. If you come look at the car? Well it's stock looking, not rusting, running well... but hard to check anything else.

I'd do a compression test at the least to see if the engine is good. Otherwise, dealers themselves may carry a short 1,500 mile warranty or 30 day warranty. Otherwise you're on your own in both cases.

Just try to find a nice car and someone who seems to know what they're doing with it
Old May 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

private! all i can say, i dont want to offend
Old May 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

bump!
Old May 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

I went to the dealer because the guy i bought it from works in one, but not sure if I would have gone if i didn't know the guy and car.

Quick Reply: should i buy from private party or the "dealership"??