Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help and advice ASAP! please :) (92 JDM EVO info)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some help and advice ASAP! please :) (92 JDM EVO info)

Ok guys so i did abit of searching and i had some questions answered but i couldnt seem to find alot on the Evo 1 through 3...Basically my friend is buying one and i wanna get some info. Here are my questions:

-The car is a JDM 93 EVO with 93 000km on it
-Its holding about .7bar to the red line (is that stock?)
-The compression ratio turned out to be 200-180-195-175. Is this bad?
-What is the most power that these blocks can safely hold on stock internals
-Is there any common problems with these cars that i should watchout for?

The car has a couple mods: downpipe back stainless exhaust, HKS filter, Blitz FMIC, HKS intercooler piping.

And i dont mean to sound rude but i need answers ASAP lol...im going to see the car in about 2-3 hours.
thanks for the answers
Old May 15, 2008, 10:12 AM

anyone??????
Old May 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickd_21
anyone??????
You honestly have a very old car which the specs are hard to find on. I take it you have an Evo 2 not and Evo 1 based solely on the year. 10psi (0.7bar) sounds like wastegate pressure to me and is probably not stock pressure. I remember articles saying the engineers actually raised boost pressure on the Evo 2 from the Evo 1 so I'm really expecting it to be around 14-16psi.

With an engine that old I suspect your bottom end may already be built even if you don't know it so who knows how much power the engine is capable of. The compression test isn't that bad maybe some light ring wear on the last cylinder wall.

Common problems... hell its a rally car driven by probably young adults typically this means all kinds of potential issues like worn out drive trains and so forth. See if she will shift smooth and when you get into power make sure their isn't any glaring issues like jerky acceleration, excessive drivetrain noises, etc. Check the car for rust, being bottomed out like scrapes on the undercarriage, blah blah blah you get the picture :P
Old May 15, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
You honestly have a very old car which the specs are hard to find on. I take it you have an Evo 2 not and Evo 1 based solely on the year. 10psi (0.7bar) sounds like wastegate pressure to me and is probably not stock pressure. I remember articles saying the engineers actually raised boost pressure on the Evo 2 from the Evo 1 so I'm really expecting it to be around 14-16psi.

With an engine that old I suspect your bottom end may already be built even if you don't know it so who knows how much power the engine is capable of. The compression test isn't that bad maybe some light ring wear on the last cylinder wall.

Common problems... hell its a rally car driven by probably young adults typically this means all kinds of potential issues like worn out drive trains and so forth. See if she will shift smooth and when you get into power make sure their isn't any glaring issues like jerky acceleration, excessive drivetrain noises, etc. Check the car for rust, being bottomed out like scrapes on the undercarriage, blah blah blah you get the picture :P
thanks for the reply...obviously him nor i are expexting this car to be as reliable as a corolla lol but im talking about serious issues. I put the car on the lift and it is mint... NO rust and NO bottoming out AT ALL. I wanna figure out if its an EVO 1 or 2 though to know how much boost it should be running. Is the interior different from the 1 to the 2. Cause i saw the thread with the guy that had the EVO 1 with the EVO 3 aero kit and you guys could tell it was a 1 because of the interior. And this EVO has the same interior as the EVO 1 in that thread
Old May 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickd_21
thanks for the reply...obviously him nor i are expexting this car to be as reliable as a corolla lol but im talking about serious issues. I put the car on the lift and it is mint... NO rust and NO bottoming out AT ALL. I wanna figure out if its an EVO 1 or 2 though to know how much boost it should be running. Is the interior different from the 1 to the 2. Cause i saw the thread with the guy that had the EVO 1 with the EVO 3 aero kit and you guys could tell it was a 1 because of the interior. And this EVO has the same interior as the EVO 1 in that thread
Jest check inside the door jam the model number should be there.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Jest check inside the door jam the model number should be there.
ok i will. what would be the model number for a EVO1 and EVO2. And you said that the engineers upped the boost to 14-16psi from EVO 1 to EVO2 so what would be the stock boost of an EVO 1

again thanks for the help. Its very much appreciated
Old May 15, 2008, 12:16 PM

The Evo3 was the predecessor of the Evo2 (duhhh) and got new pistons that gave an increase in compression ratio (from 8.5:1 to 9.0:1) and that got 9bhp more, taking the maximum power to 266bhp at 6250rpm. Torque remain at 288lb/ft. The turbo and exhaust system also received attention to give better response.

I have PM you with more information about the Evo3.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:21 PM

^thanks for the info dude...so then are you telling me that there are no differences from the EVO1-2....because the car in question is deffinately not a 3
Old May 15, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to http://www.lancer-evo.net it's a UK site, they'll have more info on anything between 1-7.