Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird Sound

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOllie
my clutches always got noisier when they were getting worn out. and always loud in lower rpms. and really noisey when they got hot. next time you decel and soon as you start to hear it, push in your clucth see if it goes way.
Alright thanks I will try that, but I am pretty sure it was occuring when i had clutch engaged and disengaged but Ill double check
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Sounds like its coming where the cam gears are, i may have to start digging around 2marrow, any ideas.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:14 PM

it might be the timing belt. from everything youve said, i am fairly sure it is. my car made the same noise, same area, same low rpm...i took is to scmitsu and they said there are some defective timing belts out that need to be replaced..i took it to them, they replaced it 4 free and the noise went away....check it out......
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

yea i kinda have the same noise going on.... it seems like.... its coming from the area of the timing belt.... but when i bend down by the passenger side front wheel i can hear it a lot more... the noise isnt always there.... its at idle...and cruising in first gear in like a parking lot or something...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:22 PM

yep, thats the sound, seriously, first thing 2mro call your mitsu dealership and tell them. if they dont say anything about the defective timing belts out then there tryin to con u...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Timing belt was my first thought when I first heard the noise... I just put that thought aside hoping itd be something easier lol.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mattsilverevo
yep, thats the sound, seriously, first thing 2mro call your mitsu dealership and tell them. if they dont say anything about the defective timing belts out then there tryin to con u...
so im going on...that mitsu will be nice and switch my timing belt out?

i somewhat dont think it is the timing belt though...sometime tomm i will record it... and post the video up

Last edited by vvhiteix; Jun 17, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mattsilverevo
it might be the timing belt. from everything youve said, i am fairly sure it is. my car made the same noise, same area, same low rpm...i took is to scmitsu and they said there are some defective timing belts out that need to be replaced..i took it to them, they replaced it 4 free and the noise went away....check it out......
eww thats not good, what was the timing belt doing to make it sound like that?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

yea im a little doubtful that the timing belt could cause the noise im hearing like i said i will post a video up today and i'll see what everyone thinks.

the best way i can describe the sound that im hearing is.... think of the sound that our lifters make.... a little bit more high pitched ... and its paced with the sound of a pulley... and i can hear it from the top of the engine bay but its louder down by my passenger from tire... and i can also hear it when im low rpm in 1st gear....i was thinking maybe its the bearing for the alternator? or something like that...ive read about them being a problem on the forum before.

Last edited by vvhiteix; Jun 18, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

tried recording it....doesnt even really pick up the sound..of the noise im talking about