Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird Sound

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 04:03 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Sound

Just noticed a weird sound today. When I am in low rpm (1k-3k) on accel or decel I hear this almost like chain rattling sound. Any ideas on what this could be? I have 35k miles Mods are 3in straight pipe turboback, ETS UICP, ETS Intake, MBC, Walbro. Havent had time to look at it yet as I am not near my car till 2marrow but wanted to hear some opnions as to where to start looking for the culprit. Thanks
Old May 19, 2008, 04:05 PM

maybe your exhaust? and do you know where you hear this sound from?
Old May 19, 2008, 04:11 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi2evo
maybe your exhaust? and do you know where you hear this sound from?
From what I could tell it sounds like its coming from the engine compartment, passenger side possibly. Exhaust will be one thing to check when I get down there 2marrow but I would think an exhaust would be more or a rattle sound.

This side is very chain like, hard to explain but kinda like if someone was shaking a metal chain lol
Old May 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Have you upgraded your clutch at all?
Old May 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Have you upgraded your clutch at all?
Actually yes i do, never thought of that. Touche sir haha. I have an ACT HDSS and lightweigt flywheel. Just didnt think of the clutch as the noise has come on recently and I have had the clutch in since october.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Its probably (cross your fingers) just your throwout bearing getting loud. Is it your DD? how many miles on the TOB? Also was the a/c on or off, I'm sure you already know that with the a/c on its is more pronounced.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:33 AM
SME
Evolved Member

Its probably (cross your fingers) just your throwout bearing getting loud. Is it your DD? how many miles on the TOB? Also was the a/c on or off, I'm sure you already know that with the a/c on its is more pronounced.
Yes its my DD. About 6,000 on the TOB. And A/C was off (my a/c doesnt work lol)
Old May 20, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Probably the TOB, I parked last night and hooped out of my car and thought of this thread and realized (because i am so used to it) how loud my TOB is, the sound it makes is pretty close to the one you described but it comes from the drivers side not the passanger side as you described.

Do you hear it from inside the car? with the windows up or down? Were you driving close to a wall where the sound can bounce off to make it more pronounced?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:12 AM
SME
Evolved Member

Probably the TOB, I parked last night and hooped out of my car and thought of this thread and realized (because i am so used to it) how loud my TOB is, the sound it makes is pretty close to the one you described but it comes from the drivers side not the passanger side as you described.

Do you hear it from inside the car? with the windows up or down? Were you driving close to a wall where the sound can bounce off to make it more pronounced?
I hear it with windows down, havnt tried to isten with windows up yet. The sound occurs anytime Im in low rpm (near a wall or not). I am going to go see if I can hear it with the hood opened reving from the throttle body.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SME
I hear it with windows down, havnt tried to isten with windows up yet. The sound occurs anytime Im in low rpm (near a wall or not). I am going to go see if I can hear it with the hood opened reving from the throttle body.
If its the TOB you will hear it from the drivers side during idle wether or not the hood is open or not. Flip on the a/c and it will be ALOT more pronounced. If this is the case you have nothing to worry about. If not then its probably something else.

Do you only hear it when reving or while driving it?

What are all of your mods?

"ETS Intake|ETS UICP|BR DP|AMS Custom Straight pipe|MR DV|Hallman MBC|Mellon Tuned|Walbro 255|Tein Flexs|Enkei NT03 17x9.5|255/40 Azenis|Cusco Trunk bar|Hawk HPS"

Is that it? ^
Old May 20, 2008, 10:31 AM
SME
Evolved Member

Yes those are all my performance mods, add a BR shifter bushing, ACT HDSS, and flywheel and thats it. I hear it when reving and while driving.

So if its the TOB I should hear it when its just idling too? And when I turn the A/C on it should become more pronounced? Thanks for the help.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
SME
Evolved Member

no one else?
Old May 21, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SME
Yes those are all my performance mods, add a BR shifter bushing, ACT HDSS, and flywheel and thats it. I hear it when reving and while driving.

So if its the TOB I should hear it when its just idling too? And when I turn the A/C on it should become more pronounced? Thanks for the help.
Bingo, thats correct
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
SME
Evolved Member

So I dont hear it at idle and still havnt figured this out lol
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my clutches always got noisier when they were getting worn out. and always loud in lower rpms. and really noisey when they got hot. next time you decel and soon as you start to hear it, push in your clucth see if it goes way.

Quick Reply: Weird Sound