Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dispute with a neighbor's neighbor in my townhouse complex regarding my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he is the only one in your complex that is bothered by your exhaust noise tell him to sound proof his bedroom so he won't be bothered by the noise. You should not have to make changes to your driving habits to accommodate one neighbor, when rest of the neighborhood has no problem with your car idling in your garage. I've seen neighbors like this before, if you keeps giving in he will keep coming up with more stuff to complain and make your life miserable.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redline-Z
My neighbors look at me all the time, I fire up my Buschur every morning with the garage door open and it is LOUD when inside concrete. They tell me my car sounds mean but I know they are pissed every morning at 0600 when I pull away. I DO try pulling out as soon as I can and get out of the development.
My neighbor's here in Germany also say my car is loud. One day I invited them up for a beer and they asked where the evo because it is usually outside and the other car is in the garage. They said "i always know when your at work - I hear you leave and come back." I quickly apologized and said that I was looking to get rid of it and get a new TT or something. They said not to do it, they love it and not to buy and I quote "that german crap"... They said all the neighbor love it here and asked if they knew anything about the specs (my neighbors are the only people around my place who speak english and were told to pry info from me about the car)
Old May 28, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
These are the kinds of situations where being understanding and friendly is way more simple than escalating the problem. Just talk with him, tell him your exhaust is completely within the noise limits set by the governing authority, but that you will do your best to respect his perspective and limit the idling time that apparently causes him the heart burn. No big deal, and it does not waste your time dealing with the HOA, the courts, or anywhere else. There's rarely a time that you need to turbo time your car anyway, if you have decent oil. Just don't get on it until you're up to temperature anyway...

Frankly, is that how you want to spend the little free time most of us have any more?
+1
Old May 28, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt read the 6 prior pages but i did read the note. That guy is a jerk. If it wasnt your exhaust, it would be something else. Personally, i would want to have as little interaction as possible with this dude. Get a silencer or something. However, if he does want to persue this, i would photocopy the page in the owners manual that states not to drive the car until it has idled for a little bit for fluid circulation. I would also have your exhaust decible measured at both idle and at like 7k rpm by your local police. As far as who parks whos car where and parking permits yadda yadda.....thats between you and the rules of your unit.

And for him to make the analogy of water boiling at 212 and 210 being close enough - ask him if instead of paying $200,000 for his unit (just an example number) he just paid $175,000 if the realtor would think that was close enough. Or if instead of working an 8 hour day, he skipped out at 6.5 because it was close enough...... ****in douche, makes me want to punch him.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

wow... after reading this... I felt sick in the stomach to hear some douche bag wants to take more rights from you. This is why I left my stupid Townhome complex due to a stupid HOA.. I say let him go to the HOA, see what they say about the matter. Then flip him off lol.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

If he's a light sleeper he should have got a unit farther away from the parking area. Not your problem I'd just ignore him.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:52 AM
Account Disabled

wow i cant believe sumbody actually took time outta there day to give you this....
Old May 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

continue letting your car idle. if he has anything else to say or do, confront him. Tell him if he didnt want noise. go buy a single family home. This is coming from sum1 who used to live in one. You gotta deal with it.

The world doesnt revolve around him.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by spedfrek
i like how he threatens you with "the courts"..... id tell hm to suck it and stay off my property before he gets a beatdown
Unfortunately in a conodo It more than likely is all communal property with the exception of being inside of your unit.

A beatdown would be a great way to resolve this issue. He wont have to hear the car anymore once the civil suit has made its way through the courts as he'll be enjoying the quietness of both of his houses.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

what a baby. i would not leave the car idling for a little while, let him forget about it. then do whatever you want again in a few months
Old May 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Noise like this is inherent to living in any densely populated living quarters, e.g., a townhouse complex. If he wants utter peace and quiet he should've considered buying a stand alone home (and he should be able to afford one if he can afford a $60k car).

So there's two ways to approach this, you can be a you-know-what or you can do it peacefully.

The peacful approach would be not idling your car, just starting it up and driving away. Or parking further out. You could also offer to pay half for something like quadruple pane windows for his bedroom, that should help keep the sound out.

Or you could do it the hard way. If he wants to go to the HOA or court, fine let him. I doubt he has a legal case considering you aren't breaking any laws. But a side not, HOA can be very political and they could side with him because of it.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, but I can tell I'm in the minority here. This thread pisses me off. There is so much evidence here of so much that repeatedly irritates me these days. People have no respect for others. Too much of the "all about me" attitude.

Sorry but your neighbor has every right to ask you (which he has done quite politely) to not leave your car idling because of the noise it generates in his home. That is not too much to ask. Show some respect for someone else and quite whining about how your "man-gina" hurts because someone told you your exhaust was too loud. He didn't tell you you had to remove your exhaust or park somewhere else. All he asked was that you start your car and leave rather than leave it idling.

And all of the rest of you punks that think this neighbor is out of line and that he deserves whatever type of retaliation you've suggested are all disrespectful a$$-holes and need to grow up and should have had someone beat some decency and respect into you at a younger age. I'm glad none of you are my neighbors.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy your hobby and be able to modify your car however you want but you should be considerate of others and any issue they might have with it. They should likewise respect you which your neighbor has done by at least trying multiple times to come talk to you in person to try to find a solution instead of that total pansie move of leaving the noise report and earplugs on his door.

Grow some ***** and show some decency.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mump
My neighbor's here in Germany also say my car is loud. One day I invited them up for a beer and they asked where the evo because it is usually outside and the other car is in the garage. They said "i always know when your at work - I hear you leave and come back." I quickly apologized and said that I was looking to get rid of it and get a new TT or something. They said not to do it, they love it and not to buy and I quote "that german crap"... They said all the neighbor love it here and asked if they knew anything about the specs (my neighbors are the only people around my place who speak english and were told to pry info from me about the car)
Hey mump thats cool as hell, the only neighbor I have that WILL speak English to me is a young dude next door with a Man-Van and he comes to the window everytime I back my car into the garage, he gives me thumbs up all the time. The other old people look at me weird like WTF is that thing! You should of seen it when I 2steped it out front, everyone came out to investigate.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

This is one major reason I would never buy a condo or live in a similar place. I hate abiding by gay *** rules and neighbors where usually 1 out of 10 are dicks.
I bought a duplex and my tenants are well awhere of what my car is My next door guy doesn't really like me and the fact that sometimes beer cans are in my front yard, but hey, wtf can he do right!? LOL
Old May 28, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Box Rocket
Sorry, but I can tell I'm in the minority here. This thread pisses me off. There is so much evidence here of so much that repeatedly irritates me these days. People have no respect for others. Too much of the "all about me" attitude.
I see your point. After going back and reading some of the replies it's no wonder
why Evo owners get a bad reputation of being punk-A immature kids. Not saying that all are, but I know people who will not buy an Evo just because they don't want to get stuck with that label.

Quick Reply: Dispute with a neighbor's neighbor in my townhouse complex regarding my Evo...