Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much cfm to cool down a 4g63?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much cfm to cool down a 4g63?

I have a 16g 4g63 in my Spyder and the radiator cooling fan just crapped out on me. Apparently it's impossible to find a stock replacement at the autoparts store, so I bought a universal fan. My question is, how much cfm does it take to cool down a 16g turbo @ 18-21psi for an Evo? Maybe it should be along the lines of an Eclipse, which is what I'm thinking.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you are asking about an evo, but you really shouldn't be concerned with what it takes to cool an evo radiator. The place you should be posting questions about your dsm is dsmtuners.com

Now, luckily for you, I know the answer to your question. I used to have a 98 gst spyder that was automatic (hence my screen name on here.) The car had a 16g on it and was boosting about 20 psi like yours. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that THE BEST FAN IN MANY CASES IS THE STOCK FAN. Since you are mildly modded, get another stock fan. You know it will fit, you know it will do the job and its the easiest thing for you to do to get back on the road. If you are really bent on going aftermarket, get a stock one for now and do some research on what other people are using. The stocker flows a lot (something like 1200 cfms) so be sure your new fan, if you get one, flows more than that.

Good luck,

Tyler
Old May 30, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I am not to sure it will work but if it cools down a decent HP FC RX-7 it can cool an Evo just the same. My buddy is running a Ford Taurus fan with an external temp sender and it keeps his 7 cool and it was cheap as sin. Might be something for you to look into and they are slim.