Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Emmisions Testing Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emmisions Testing Question

Hey Guys,

If i am running a 3" exhaust, no cat, and want to pass emmisions test in CT, do i need to put a stock cat on or a high flow? and will both of these bold right up to my exhaust where my test pipe is? Might be a dumb question but was curious.

Thanks!
kevin
Old Jun 4, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blueevokev
Hey Guys,

If i am running a 3" exhaust, no cat, and want to pass emmisions test in CT, do i need to put a stock cat on or a high flow? and will both of these bold right up to my exhaust where my test pipe is? Might be a dumb question but was curious.

Thanks!
kevin
I've had buddies of mine pass emissions with a test pipe on (we only get checked via OBDII here), but I would put a stock cat on. If you have a HFC, you can still pop a CEL and the guy doing the emissions might see you have extended the O2 sensor and will ask "why?"

Some places hook your car up to a little "dyno" and some use mirrors for visual checks. Some just wave you on through. Go check it out, and if you fail, you can come back.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 06:53 AM

I don't know about CT but i inspect vehicles up here in NH and i have to lift it in the air and check your Brakes, brake lines, Ball joints, fuel lines, and exhaust... if there's no cat it fails. but if all of that is okay then i hook it up to a NHOST machine that plugs into the OBD 2 port and it checks everything else out.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Do you get a fine if you have no cat/car fails?

Or do they just tell you to come back later?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

not having a cat is a felony, if your tester is "cool" they may let you go but you risk a hefty fine at the least.

i would never have anyone i don't know look under my car. i.e. i'd NEVER go through an emissions test/dealer checkup with no cat...
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
not having a cat is a felony, if your tester is "cool" they may let you go but you risk a hefty fine at the least.

i would never have anyone i don't know look under my car. i.e. i'd NEVER go through an emissions test/dealer checkup with no cat...
+1 i've heard horror stories of guys getting caught running no cats in jersey.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

i took mine to a garage and paid the fee. I got my test pipe w/ mechanical o2 fix passed.

You can't be throwing any CEL's though...
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ that works too. I had to do that after they wouldn't pass me and my cutout
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:49 PM

If you have no cat... yes. If your car fails you just pay the inspection fee and have to bring it back or somewhere else
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blueevokev
Hey Guys,

Thanks!
kevin
Kevin....you should have put this in the Northeast section and written CT evos in big letters since everyone replying to your question doesn't live in CT they have no idea what our emmissions testing is all about.

First off you would be stupid to go to any garage with out a cat. Some people will say its fine, and hope the emmissions tester doesn't look under the car...but if he does it won't be pretty for you.

Second we don't put cars on rollers anymore in CT or do a sniff test. All they check is your OBDII port to make sure you have no check engine light.....but the catch is it has to show no codes for 100miles so you can't just clear the code in the parking lot....they will know.

I have to go through the same bs this month so we will see what happens. Right now I have an aem, 1000cc injectors, and 280 cams so I guess I have a little work puting the car back to stock before I show up for my test.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:03 AM

How about texas? Anyone know about the emission testing out there? I am moving out there in afew months and I am running an AMS downpipe, Ichiba testpipe, and HKS Hi-Power Exhaust. Please get back to me with this answer. Thank you.

-Joe