Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Loud Exhaust! Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loud Exhaust! Help!

I keep getting pulled over. I got an 03' evo with a buschur cat-back with their race muffler they used to offer, And since I put a AMS 35R on the car it is extremely loud, I got an AMS downpipe with a cat-delete. What product can I buy that isn't going to steal power that I paid so much money for. Anybody got ideas?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
You can get a dual bullet muffler setup from Buschur to quiet it. The old race muffler is really loud.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:03 AM

You're really getting pulled over for that????

WOW

I guess Florida is good for one thing... I don't get pulled over for loud exhaust here.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Megan Resonated Test Pipe. It'll help some, or put a muffler in the place of the existing test pipe.

My TBE doesn't sound much louder than when it was just a cat-back. I have two resonators.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes i had that problem when i switched to the 37r and full race manifold. I put a resinator in and it quited it down a little bit and i didn't notice any power loss.

I may take it off and put a test pipe back in for the race season, but the car is still a daily driver so i like keeping it as quite as possible.. after a certain point there really isnt too much you can do

Mark
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

I drive the car on road trips the varied motorsports events and at highway speeds it's just to much.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
Megan Resonated Test Pipe. It'll help some, or put a muffler in the place of the existing test pipe.

My TBE doesn't sound much louder than when it was just a cat-back. I have two resonators.
What is a resonator exactly? What is inside them that quiets down your exhaust?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is your wastegate plumbed back into your exhaust? Or does it VTA?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Are you complaining its too loud for normal driving or racing? For normal driving:

Resonators dont quiet down exhausts that much, they mostly mellow a tone from raspiness/rumble. If you can get a large widebody straight flow through 3" muffler that will fit the axle back section ,that should quiet you down considerably.

Another option is the Cobb exhaust system. I'm running the Cobb downpipe , megan resontaed test pipe, and Cobb catback and its as quiet as it will get with a full 3" system with no tapers. I can have quiet conversations in the car with passengers (windows up normal driving).

The Cobb system can mate with the stock exhaust parts. So as long as the flanges on your setup are workable with the stock cat-back then you can just buy the cat-back section of the cobb and bolt it up.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Is your wastegate plumbed back into your exhaust? Or does it VTA?
The wastegate gases are plumbed back into DP.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Are you complaining its too loud for normal driving or racing? For normal driving:

Resonators dont quiet down exhausts that much, they mostly mellow a tone from raspiness/rumble. If you can get a large widebody straight flow through 3" muffler that will fit the axle back section ,that should quiet you down considerably.

Another option is the Cobb exhaust system. I'm running the Cobb downpipe , megan resontaed test pipe, and Cobb catback and its as quiet as it will get with a full 3" system with no tapers. I can have quiet conversations in the car with passengers (windows up normal driving).

The Cobb system can mate with the stock exhaust parts. So as long as the flanges on your setup are workable with the stock cat-back then you can just buy the cat-back section of the cobb and bolt it up.
Normal driving is almost unbearable. It louder that my friend Z28 with headers and true duals with no cat. I looked at that Cobb system and I'm going to go down to their shop next time I get to Salt Lake to Check it out.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

maybe theres an exhaust leak some where or your just not made for driving an evo. I have the old style bushur exhaust and a lot of mods with no carpet/radio/sound deadning and I love every minute of it.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if there's much you can do. I run the Tanabe Ultra Medallion because it's pretty quiet and a few months ago I decide to put the resonator on. That very same day I got pulled over. The officer said that my exhaust gave me away. Go figure. I didn't get a ticket but getting pulled over sucks period. oh, and this was before cams.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS resonator, I put it on my 3065. . Helped a bit, but it was still really loud.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

My Megan resonated test pipe is pretty quite until I go WOT.

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust! Help!