Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Deciding on getting an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding on getting an EVO

Ok guys i have a little dilema. I currently have a RSX Type-S and I'm really thinking of trading my car in for an EVO. I have about $6000 of mods on my car now.

I've been goin through these forums, reading magazines and seeing reviews on the EVO and it is really convincing me to get an EVO. The problem is i have never test driven the EVO. I've heard people saying that a lot of dealers aren't letting them test drive one unless they sign a contract or get approved for a loan. So I don't know if I can just test drive one.

Well i'll be ready to buy one by early next year. I need some opinions. Should I sell my parts now to get a higher value on them and trust that I won't be disappointed on the EVO or don't sell anything unless i test drive the EVO, when i'm ready to buy, first.

BTW if there is any dealerin So Cali that is willing to let me test drive an EVO let me know because i'm really really considering on buying one.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Deciding on getting an EVO

Originally posted by EVO_RPM
Should I sell my parts now to get a higher value on them and trust that I won't be disappointed on the EVO or don't sell anything unless i test drive the EVO, when i'm ready to buy, first.

BTW if there is any dealerin So Cali that is willing to let me test drive an EVO let me know because i'm really really considering on buying one.

Sell everything and buy the Evo. You will not be disappointed. WARNING: Do not test drive until you are ready to drive the Evo home. You will expierence extreme longing for the Evo and loss of sleep thinking of when you will get the Evo if you do drive the Evo.

Flyvyevo...
Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

lol i'm already losing sleep thinking about getting the EVO. If i do decide to get it it will still be around feb or march next year. So I should sell everything and wait till then to test drive and buy one. By that time, do you think it'll be a lot easier to bargain
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol i'm already losing sleep thinking about getting the EVO. If i do decide to get it it will still be around feb or march next year. So I should sell everything and wait till then to test drive and buy one. By that time, do you think it'll be a lot easier to bargain
From posts on this forum it already is easy to get at under MSRP right now. Some have purchased at invoice. Please get some rest and don't drive tired.

Flybyevo...
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:32 AM

I would recommend driving one before you take apart your current car. But, be prepared to OBSESS over the Evo for the next few months.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you are in so cal, but might be worth a call to SELMA MITSUBISHI in central cal. About 1.5-2hrs north of Bakersfield. They we ADVERTISING the EVO in the paper at $1000 under MSRP!! The must be desperate to get rid of them. Maybe they could do one of those "no money down, no payments for 6mos" deals so you could get it now. And I KNOW they will let you test drive if you are serious. Its a pretty small, poor farm town, so makes sense. Also, I got mine at Fresno Mitsubishi for MSRP, they treated me pretty darn good, and I like the service techs.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:06 PM

Well, with $10,000 down, my payments would be $390/month. I currently have $6,000 but insufficient income with my "student" job. Otherwise, as I said, I'd be there!
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:24 PM

Miller Mitsu in Van Nuys should let you test drive an Evo. I was there and asked if they were letting people drive them and the salesman just said, "well.... we'd need to run your credit first". I didn't bother because I've already driven the car and was just curious. Give them a try. But don't buy from them, since they want $1500-$3000 markup.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys i have a little dilema. I currently have a RSX Type-S and I'm really thinking of trading my car in for an EVO. I have about $6000 of mods on my car now.

I've been goin through these forums, reading magazines and seeing reviews on the EVO and it is really convincing me to get an EVO. The problem is i have never test driven the EVO. I've heard people saying that a lot of dealers aren't letting them test drive one unless they sign a contract or get approved for a loan. So I don't know if I can just test drive one.

Well i'll be ready to buy one by early next year. I need some opinions. Should I sell my parts now to get a higher value on them and trust that I won't be disappointed on the EVO or don't sell anything unless i test drive the EVO, when i'm ready to buy, first.

hey if you test drive the evo you gotta tell me how it campares to the RSX-S dude. i am only 17 and dont have money for a car or anything but as soon as i get out of school im gonna get a job and try. ive been thinking which oen would be etter the type S or the EVO 8. plz if you test drive it keep us(especially me )informed
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:46 PM

I've driven both the RSX-S and the EVO 8. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the RSX-S at all. It has 200 hp sure, and a really nice 6-spd tranny, but the car doesn't feel like it has much power, since the i-VTEC works differently than the old system of second cam set comes on at XXXX RPMs. The FWD is hoppy at times, and the tunability of this car seems lower than the old VTEC motors. The suspension of the car is really soft, and doesn't handle nearly as well as I expected. I would compare it to my old Si, maybe even a bit worse. The exterior looks pretty bad in my opinion, and the interior material seems as if it would collect a fair amount of dust. All-in-all, I was not impressed with the RSX-S at all, and I can't say I would buy one for $14,000, much less $24,000.

The EVO, on the other hand, has power, grip, handling, braking, looks, and tunability. It's a completely different car.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

wow thanks dude. i was thinking, ****, 200 hp stock with no turbo or anything is pretty good but then i was thinkin more and more about it and its really werid. i mean i dont think its worth 24 k anyways, but by the specs(besides the torque) it didnt seem like a bad car. i dont like the extrerior stock, but i think as soon as you put a wing on it, it looks much better, not to mention the wing helps the car in other areas. anyways, thanks dude.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by turbrodude
Miller Mitsu in Van Nuys should let you test drive an Evo. I was there and asked if they were letting people drive them and the salesman just said, "well.... we'd need to run your credit first". I didn't bother because I've already driven the car and was just curious. Give them a try. But don't buy from them, since they want $1500-$3000 markup.
Miller ****en blows. that is the dealer that has tried and failed to fix me evo on 2 different times
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Wait until you test drive before you de-mod your RSX. I'm going to test drive an Evo tomorrow. Honestly this forum has opened my eyes up to what a cheap car it is and how many problems it has. If it doesn't blow my mind with performance tomorrow, I'm quickly ruling out the Evo as my next car.

Main reason being my next car is my only car and my daily driver and aside from comfort and amenities, I need a car that is reliable and dependable and doesn't have interior trim peeling and cracking and leaks and a ****ty transmission with a 5th gear that might need to be replaced and a crappy clutch and paint that's got such a thin clearcoat people are already seeing it fade differently on different parts of their less-than-a-year-old cars and rubbing off paint when they wax their cars.

Seriously, **** all that. Not for $30k, thanks.

My current car was $31k out the door and the thing is loaded with luxury, a quality ride, reliability, and has decent performance for a FWD sport coupe. Also the dealership treats you like a valued customer. And I was 21 when I got the car so I was the type of person some dealeships would treat like **** just because I'm young.

Why would I give all that up for a third-teir car that's got a tacky, unergonomic interior that the dealerships are being *******s about performing warranty work on, simply because it has good performance?

I may have to make the sacrifice of not getting the performance I want out of my next car simply because it's just. not. practical. as a daily driver to rely on.

What will I get instead? I'm not sure. It appears that most choices between $20k-$30k these days all suffer enough major issues that I'd have trouble spending that much money on them.

It's funny how not two years ago $30k would buy you a reliable, practical, and fun luxury car. It's just not true anymore.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Deciding on getting an EVO

Originally posted by JRock

Wait until you test drive before you de-mod your RSX. I'm going to test drive an Evo tomorrow. Honestly this forum has opened my eyes up to what a cheap car it is and how many problems it has. If it doesn't blow my mind with performance tomorrow, I'm quickly ruling out the Evo as my next car.

Main reason being my next car is my only car and my daily driver and aside from comfort and amenities, I need a car that is reliable and dependable and doesn't have interior trim peeling and cracking and leaks and a ****ty transmission with a 5th gear that might need to be replaced and a crappy clutch and paint that's got such a thin clearcoat people are already seeing it fade differently on different parts of their less-than-a-year-old cars and rubbing off paint when they wax their cars.

Seriously, **** all that. Not for $30k, thanks.

My current car was $31k out the door and the thing is loaded with luxury, a quality ride, reliability, and has decent performance for a FWD sport coupe. Also the dealership treats you like a valued customer. And I was 21 when I got the car so I was the type of person some dealeships would treat like **** just because I'm young.

Why would I give all that up for a third-teir car that's got a tacky, unergonomic interior that the dealerships are being *******s about performing warranty work on, simply because it has good performance?

I may have to make the sacrifice of not getting the performance I want out of my next car simply because it's just. not. practical. as a daily driver to rely on.

What will I get instead? I'm not sure. It appears that most choices between $20k-$30k these days all suffer enough major issues that I'd have trouble spending that much money on them.

It's funny how not two years ago $30k would buy you a reliable, practical, and fun luxury car. It's just not true anymore.
if you really dont like it why not just get an impreza? supposedly better interior, about the same performance(STi) and price. **** might as well check em both out. if your not gonna be satisfied with a car then dont get it. no one wants you to waste 30k on something you hate. some people like it and some done. either way i wish you luck and that youll be happy with your next purchase
Old Aug 14, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

sell the type-s... you wont regret it..
I'm on week 2... and the one thing i can't stand about the evo... is the lack of twisty roads