Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu is so bad with honoring warranties I'd switch out your Avatar pic...unless its clearly not your car. They find any evidence of driving on a track they will void warranty.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I've thought about that, but is it really worth going back and deleting ALL of my posts?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:21 PM

This is a scenario where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to have a legal letter written and sent to the Mitsubishi Motors North America regional office in your area. It needs to threaten "lemon law" somewhere in it. Then the DPSM will get involved again and possibly the RPSM. They will send out some "product support" personnel. Some goofy engineers that take apart the old diffs and they make a decision on what to replace next. Mitsubishi takes lemon law seriously. The dealership doesn't care or have ANYTHING to do with lemon law or even this situation anymore, it is out of there hands when the manufacturer steps in. Just make sure to stay on ball with them. If you relax about it you will get put on the back burner. I have been through this situation many times.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bradley
This is a scenario where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You need to have a legal letter written and sent to the Mitsubishi Motors North America regional office in your area. It needs to threaten "lemon law" somewhere in it. Then the DPSM will get involved again and possibly the RPSM. They will send out some "product support" personnel. Some goofy engineers that take apart the old diffs and they make a decision on what to replace next. Mitsubishi takes lemon law seriously. The dealership doesn't care or have ANYTHING to do with lemon law or even this situation anymore, it is out of there hands when the manufacturer steps in. Just make sure to stay on ball with them. If you relax about it you will get put on the back burner. I have been through this situation many times.
Great feedback, thank you for the information!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I would take it to a different "stealership", my tech at Mitsu would have fixed that immediately.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
I would take it to a different "stealership", my tech at Mitsu would have fixed that immediately.
Thought about that, but if the regional tech said no, he's going to tell the next dealership the same thing, right?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Basically the dealership has just done this... They verified a problem existed. They replaced the rear diff, a driveshaft bearing, and the rear diff again. By saying the sound is normal after all this is probably the biggest ***** slap anyone has gotten from a dealer. Take the arbitration step listen in the owner's manual. Be as honest as possible. Also try calling the hotline.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

that magnusson moss act wont go too far, dealer voided my warranty (5th gear grind) due to my "heavy modifications" (intake, exhaust and MBC) called corporate mitsu and they told me the same thing. those parts put added stress on the drivetrain, blah blah blah. i would try another dealer, after mitsu told me they wouldnt do anything i had another dealer help me out... good luck
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Basically the dealership has just done this... They verified a problem existed. They replaced the rear diff, a driveshaft bearing, and the rear diff again. By saying the sound is normal after all this is probably the biggest ***** slap anyone has gotten from a dealer. Take the arbitration step listen in the owner's manual. Be as honest as possible. Also try calling the hotline.
My thought exactly, they obviously thought it was serious enough to replace all of those parts over such a long period of time. If it really WAS normal, they would have said so at the very beginning and not wasted my time. They've called into the Mitsubishi Tech Hotline numerous times and at no point did they tell them the noise was normal until now? I find it hard to believe. They are simply frustrated because they can't figure it out, EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!!

Needless to say, I am optimistic regarding the outcome, but frustrated that I have to go through all of this litigation to get anything done.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Do we have any Mitsubishi technicians that could help me out with this? I'd love to get a professional opinion (maybe even a statement) that I could use in arbitration.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:21 AM

call mitsu NA and arbitration....Mitsu NA spent almost 20 grand to fix my car and were gonna give me a new one..it took me to get everyones boss involved to get the ball rolling for good...I hate to think of this problem I had as my car stayed at the dealership for almost 9 month getting fixed..hell check my back post from like 2 yrs ago and you should find it...I cant talk about this much anymore as it makes me cry..I bet there is still legal action I could take to this day...wonder if there is statute of limitations on these subjects...anyways, if I can help u out, I have all the numbers and people I talked to somewhere....good luck..I miss my EVO, but Mitsu sucks!!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

I guess what I would REALLY like to get is a copy or excerpt from the Field Service Manual that has ANYTHING to do with this noise, that is is a known problem, or ANYTHING about it that could help my case. There are no TSB's out for it.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't see it listed in any of the previous posts so I just wanted to add that Lemon Law is for the complaint not the repair. If the car comes in with the same complaint 3 times & can not be reaired then it is lemon law. The fact that they attempted to repair the problem is an admission of a problem with the car. If it was normal they would have denied you to begin with.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Another Evo owner pwned by Good luck with it, I know they shot my issue out of the water. Hopefully some more people will learn a lesson and stop paying for the warranty, and hopefully at least a few will stop being Mitsufanboys again.

Originally Posted by Last4G63
Do we have any Mitsubishi technicians that could help me out with this? I'd love to get a professional opinion (maybe even a statement) that I could use in arbitration.
There are no Mitsu techs that know anything decent about the Evo, hence your problem in the first place

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jun 11, 2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Last4G63
2) The car does have mods (intake and exhaust), but they were installed AFTER the car had been in for service multiple times. I'd love to see them void my drivetrain from an intake and exhaust (Magnusson-Moss Act)

bye bye warranty.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!