Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilToaster101
Hope this gets figured out, wish you the best of luck with the arbitration thing. I havent purchased my evo yet and it is making me have 2nd thoughts :\
If I can get this TC replaced, mine will be for sale shortly.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Driving to work one day I got the "death whine." I brought the car in, told them in was the transfer case. The first thing they did was replace the driveshaft. This didnt fix the problem. They then put a new rear-diff in. That didnt fix the problem. They ended up replacing second gear for me while they were checking fluids.

They finally called in the regional service manager (real a-hole). He said I had too many aftermarket parts on my car (intake, exhaust) and that they would not cover it under warranty. I told him that it wasnt my fault the mechanics were just replacing parts, that the transfer case problem was a known issue. The regional service manager made the mechanics take the whole transfer case apart to find the problem.

The dealership called the mitsu techline and told them that they had the t-case apart. The guy at techline laughed and said "why bother, just replace the whole thing, they have problems." They replaced my t-case and the problem went away.

The regional service manager flagged my car in the system and my warranty has been void since 9k miles (I'm almost at 60k now, so the warranty wont matter much in a few months anyway).

Seems like mitsu doesnt educate their techs or in this case "part swappers" very well (at least in this case, im sure there are very qaulified passionate people out there).

Its safe to say that if I wasn't in love with this cars performance it would have been gone a long time ago. This is the first and last mitsu I will own, thats for sure.

Anyway, good luck. You're not the only one that this has happened to. Keep us posted on the result!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:16 AM

+1 for the t-case issue. however, I am willing to bet that they didn't fill the t-case with gear oil after they replaced the tranny the first time. not to sound as though I know everything but I have had this problem on cars that others have worked on then were brought to me. lack of oil will really f*** things up. have you or the dealer checked this? just an opinion.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ozlookalike
+1 for the t-case issue. however, I am willing to bet that they didn't fill the t-case with gear oil after they replaced the tranny the first time. not to sound as though I know everything but I have had this problem on cars that others have worked on then were brought to me. lack of oil will really f*** things up. have you or the dealer checked this? just an opinion.
I have been certain that it is the transfer case the entire time.

It has been 7k miles since the issue began, if they didn't refill the TC with fluid I'm sure it would have blown by now. Funny thing is though, that the noise doesn't appear to be getting exponentially worse. Some have mentioned that if it IS indeed the TC, that it would have "blown" by now.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Last4G63
I have been certain that it is the transfer case the entire time.

It has been 7k miles since the issue began, if they didn't refill the TC with fluid I'm sure it would have blown by now. Funny thing is though, that the noise doesn't appear to be getting exponentially worse. Some have mentioned that if it IS indeed the TC, that it would have "blown" by now.
Mine didn't getting any worse either until like a year and half later. I didn't think it was my tcase either because of that but it was. Maybe we are experiencing the same symptoms or your issue may not be the tcase at all.