Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!

This has been a LONG ongoing issue between Mitsubishi and me. I brought my car in last year with a "gear whine" noise (aka "deathwhine") in which they decided to fix by replacing the rear-differential. After replacing the rear-diff the noise was still there, they then decided to replace a driveshaft bearing, which did not fix it, then onto another rear-differential (they thought maybe the first one was bad), then onto a new driveshaft. They recently ordered yet ANOTHER rear-differential which they were about to install when Mistu told the dealership NOT to install it, the noise would still be there after installing the new differential, and the noise WAS NORMAL!

How can they claim this after multiple techs, service writers, the service manager, AND the REGIONAL SERVICE MANGER have all ridden in my car and agreed that IT IS NOT NORMAL?! They've also agreed it is bad enough to replace this many parts so far, why the sudden change of heart? They can't diagnose it so they decide that it is "normal?"

Needless to say, I am moving towards arbitration. I need some advice as to what information I need to gather and what my next steps are. Please Help!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a tip....if they fix ur car three times for the same part that means you can lemon law it. If you lemon law it the dealer is screwed, so they told you that its normal so they dont have to fix it the third time. I would contact a lawyer to at least write you up a letter saying that if they plan on not warrantying an obvious issue because they are afraid of the lemon law then that is going to get them a lawsuit. They'll change their tune.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

^^Agree
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:48 AM

You dont have any mods do you , they would like to pin it on you as much as they can
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yes read up on the lemon law.

Is it possibly the transfer case?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I think it is your transfer case as well.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:07 AM

its not a lemon law they stil havent fixed the right part its going to be the transfer case. the reason they think its in the rear is because sound travels. have the put it in the air and listen to the transfer case. ps its a lemon when the fix the problem but the part keeps failing in this case the part was never fixed. good luck.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for Transfer Case.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Please indicated if it's stock or modified evo, this is a must do in the first post in order for members to help you out.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:14 AM

the car was bought with the noise so it dosent matter.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S4STIEVO
the car was bought with the noise so it dosent matter.
Actually, it matters quite a bit , if he modified the drivetrain or had any work done by a non dealer mechanic, these are all things they will emphasize heavily. They're are many stipulations with regards to your factory warranty. I had one dealer rep tell me that an improperly set up aftermarket suspension can damage the AWD system, how true that is i dont know. How do you know they wont say this is a different noise then before (even though it isn't).

Last edited by CAD EVO; Jun 10, 2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

1) I agree, it is the transfer case and always has been. The dealership has had it in the air on 2 occasions using microphones and stethoscopes VERIFYING that it was the rear-differential. I agree, sound travels and this is a text book transfer case. I suggested this to the dealership and they just ignored me like I was another "know it all," when I had actually done a significant amount of research and had instances of several others with the exact same symptoms and resolutions.

2) The car does have mods (intake and exhaust), but they were installed AFTER the car had been in for service multiple times. I'd love to see them void my drivetrain from an intake and exhaust (Magnusson-Moss Act)

3) I've been doing research on Lemon Laws. I agree with S4STIEVO, is it considered Lemon Law if they haven't diagnosed and fixed the right part?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:30 AM

Who else hates the transfer case? Broke mine twice now Definetly not under warranty
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:38 AM

u need them to bring the district manager, you, tech, service advisor and the manger and have them all listen to the transfer case all at the same time.really if theyve changed the rear dif twice already and nothing changed then its not the rear dif. stupid question but i have u contacted mistu of north america.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S4STIEVO
u need them to bring the district manager, you, tech, service advisor and the manger and have them all listen to the transfer case all at the same time.really if theyve changed the rear dif twice already and nothing changed then its not the rear dif. stupid question but i have u contacted mistu of north america.
I had the master tech, regional master tech, and service manager all ride in my car together. The Regional Master Tech's exact words are, "Yeah, that noise will drive you right out of the car."

I have NOT called Mitsubishi of North America, do you think it will help? The dealerships instructions are coming from Mitsubishi directly (at least, that's what they are telling me).

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Refuses to Repair My Car - HELP!