Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Steering Column Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Steering Column Gauge Pod

Does anyone know where to find a single gauge steering column pod where the gauge is mounted on the right side? All I can find are ones where it mounts on the left side. The ones that I have found that mount on the right are made for regular lancers and have a hole in the middle top such as this one.

I know there are pods that you mount yourself but I would much rather have a solid piece like the Autometer one like this.

Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i have one u mount urself. Sucks. I need to get something like wat u want too.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:28 PM

Meh, I much prefer my "mount it yourself" type. I dunno about other brands, but I think the Autometer steering column pods look kinda cheap. Plus, I don't hafta be stuck w/ blocking out whatever part of my instrument panel they deem sacrificial....speedo, tach, odometer, gas gauge. Mine just blocks out "Lancer," not much important info going on there.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Unregisterd
Meh, I much prefer my "mount it yourself" type. I dunno about other brands, but I think the Autometer steering column pods look kinda cheap. Plus, I don't hafta be stuck w/ blocking out whatever part of my instrument panel they deem sacrificial....speedo, tach, odometer, gas gauge. Mine just blocks out "Lancer," not much important info going on there.
Shut it woman!!!

I had the AutoMeter in my 8 and it didn't really block any of the gauge cluster. I guess it just depends on how your steering wheel is adjusted. I personally rather have the AutoMeter than the "mount it yourself" cause it looks factory and covers all the wires and hoses from the gauge making a cleaner look IMO.

THe 2nd one pictured looks to be a AutoMeter, but its not textured like my old one. The look alot better when they are textured.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do you want one on the right? I have the Autometer unit and it only blocks from 145+ on the speedo...not terribly important.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Why do you want one on the right? I have the Autometer unit and it only blocks from 145+ on the speedo...not terribly important.
If thats all it blocks then I guess there is nothing wrong with it.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

My car came with a pod that looks identical to the autometer one posted above. I am NOT happy with it. Crappy fit, double sided tape no longer holds it well, and the gauge blocks the speedo from about 80 on up. Could be a knock off, but I know I'm not happy with it and would really like something similar that covers the wiring but moves the gauge to the right side.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SCEvol8
My car came with a pod that looks identical to the autometer one posted above. I am NOT happy with it. Crappy fit, double sided tape no longer holds it well, and the gauge blocks the speedo from about 80 on up. Could be a knock off, but I know I'm not happy with it and would really like something similar that covers the wiring but moves the gauge to the right side.
thanks for the heads up
do you have any pics because i found this picture but nobody has confirmed this as being the exact point of view for the driver

Last edited by evo8426; Jun 15, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Either way its better than the Single Carbon fiber one that puts it right infront of the tach! All you can see is the numbers and its impossible to see the needle! I just ordered an Autometer one along with my new gauges and will let you all know how it fits and works out! I also hae a Sparco Evo seat so I st lower than the stock seats.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aryder
thanks for the heads up
do you have any pics because i found this picture but nobody has confirmed this as being the exact point of view for the driver

I'll confirm it; it is the POV of the driver. This said, I recently ditched that pod in favor of a cup mounted on the right side. From a user's perspective, a right side (cup) mount allows for the gauge to be set farther back, making it easier to see without contorting one's eye movement. YMMV
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe mine is a knockoff because there is no way mine looks like that from driver perspective. I have my seat just slightly reclined (I have a long commute everyday and it is more comfortable that way). The only way I can even get close to that picture is seat back nearly straight up and then I still need to move my head forward to read the 140. Regardless, autometer or not, the fact is it doesn't fit well and the double sided tape doesn't hold it well anymore.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'll confirm it; it is the POV of the driver. This said, I recently ditched that pod in favor of a cup mounted on the right side. From a user's perspective, a right side (cup) mount allows for the gauge to be set farther back, making it easier to see without contorting one's eye movement. YMMV
The picture may have been taken at an angle, such as not where the drivers eyes would be so that is why I asked if it was the EXACT POV.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

I'll try to get a POV shot but here's my right-side mount. Even when sitting low I can see the green light come on for the I/C sprayer so it's not really in the way of anything which is nice. On the left side it may cover up the brake, ses, etc warning lights.

Old Jun 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aryder
The picture may have been taken at an angle, such as not where the drivers eyes would be so that is why I asked if it was the EXACT POV.
Ummm...that's what I saw when I had an Autometer pod. FWIW, I'm ~6' and my seat is configured so that my wrist can touch the top of the wheel. The pod blocked the highest numerals on the speedo and most of the warning lights (CEL, etc).