Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

OEM paint and body shops

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
OEM paint and body shops

OK, stupid question time, but only because I've searched stuff out, made calls, and I'm still in the same place.

It's no secret I destroyed my SE front lip (boohoo for me), but have since ordered a brand new one. I've got it here and obviously it's not painted...and rather than having a white lip on a silver car I'd like to get it to match.

The first body shop I called estimated about two hundred for the paint, but the next said he would do it for a "buck fifty" (damn I should hold him to that literally lol) but that there would be no way to perfectly match the paint. He promised it would either be darker or lighter.

So here's my question...how in the name of hell do you get a painted lip to match if no one has the OEM paint (and it's the worst color of all...the dreaded silver!)? Can you take it to Mitsu? Raid a factory in Japan? Give a two year old some fingerpaints?

I'm kidding but also very serious...I want this to match as best as possible, and for the record I'm in Stratford, CT as my profile says.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call around and find a body shop that has this paint color code:

Apex Silver A31 A0003PTS11
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any decent shop should be able to do an acceptable job for $150 or less. The part is off the car with nothing to mask... right?

Silver can be difficult to match on some cars, but because this goes near the ground you should have little to worry about if it's not a perfect match.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by binarysleep
Any decent shop should be able to do an acceptable job for $150 or less. The part is off the car with nothing to mask... right?

Silver can be difficult to match on some cars, but because this goes near the ground you should have little to worry about if it's not a perfect match.
Yes it's off the car, and I'll glady leave the car for matching purposes. I guess I'm wondering if the paint code will be enough for them to match it up.

I'm not reeeeally worried about it being flawless, but painfully obvious is no good either.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

The paint on an abs plastic part typically won't match 100% to paint on metal...Even our cars stock out of factory appear this way...At least on a good sunny day I can see that with mine...i.e. the fender/trunk/rear bumper don't match 100% if you look real good.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Apex Silver is a metallic paint and this quality makes in very difficult to get an exact (or very close) match.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I am having the same problem, some ****er scratched my bumper while I was parked in a parking lot (maybe the 3rd time I ever left it in a lot ) and I talked to my friend who runs a shop and he said that they only use water-based paint (stupid California tree humpers ) so they can not get it to match right. Anyone know where I can order real WW paint through the mail?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
I am having the same problem, some ****er scratched my bumper while I was parked in a parking lot (maybe the 3rd time I ever left it in a lot ) and I talked to my friend who runs a shop and he said that they only use water-based paint (stupid California tree humpers ) so they can not get it to match right. Anyone know where I can order real WW paint through the mail?
Wicked White W37 MZ313359 (same as Igloo White)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
some body shops overspray the lip and bumper to blend the color.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

The guy that has done my body work for years, painted my front bumper and vortex generator. they both match factory paint perfect, and actually the front bumper matches the car better then the rear ( which has never been painted)

It is hard to match but i really think it depends on whos mixing the paint and has the better eye.

PS. my car is apex silver
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

i painted my carbon fiber silver and it matches decent enough. Im just worried about the yellow effect carbon fiber seems to have affecting my paint after a while
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Most body shops will take the color code color and spray a test piece. Then adjust the color after that if it doesn't match the rest of the car. Depending on the shop they can get it to match pretty well.

The shop i worked at painted a lot of silver cars and the customers were always satisfied and couldn't notice it had been repainted.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

yea I wonder if Electric Blue is hard to match?