Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

too much for install?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much for install?

Ok, i have a bunch of stuff i'm looking to install. i won't include all of it because most labor seems reasonable. however, the stroker kit seems HIGH. one place says (if i have my own kit) it'll take 11.5 hours @100 an hour plus $1500 in machining, and the other says 25 hours @ $159 an hour. Is that normal?? also both places sell their own "custom" kit. the 1st place has a 2.3 shortblock allready built with everything included(water pump, etc) for $3500 + install. they say 3 weeks to install everything(turbo kit, intercooler and piping, aem ems, et.) inc. their shortblock, or 1.5 months if i use my kit that i would buy. what do you guys thin? I live in forsyth, ga 31029 and the only places i know to do this are in atl. thanks
mike
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Have you tried Forged Performance in Marietta?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
159 an hour is a pretty high rate....
i wouldnt go there
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

sdf

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
Have you tried Forged Performance in Marietta?
no, are they good? do they have a dyno?

yeah, i thought 159 was too high. I'm getting a quote to install everything, so mayebe they'll knock it down 158 dollars! :O)

how about the time for installing it? 25 hrs?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

You could also make a drive down here to Florida where there are many shops that have the years of experience in dealing with evos or go to a place where they can at least do it on a reasonable amount of time.

Me, I can't have my car on a shop for 45 days, but if you can afford that then the first place does look like a good option as long as they know what they are doing.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Call Andrew at Dyno4mance in Calhoun. They are very professional and have a lot of history with Evo's. If he can't do the work I'm sure he can point you to someone who can.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1mbrews8
no, are they good? do they have a dyno?

yeah, i thought 159 was too high. I'm getting a quote to install everything, so mayebe they'll knock it down 158 dollars! :O)

how about the time for installing it? 25 hrs?
Call Sharif at Forged Performance and tell him you are part of the evoatlanta community. They actually specialize in G35s and 350Zs but they have done a lot of Evo related installs. They have an awd dyno as well. They worked on Ryan's car. Here is the link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=350347 They are very reasonable with their prices and very professional in their business. Here is the link to their site: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

i talked to andrew, he is woring up a quote for the whold shebang as well. i'll email sharif tonight and see what he can do. thanks, keep the posts comming!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Are you part of evoatlanta.com? The evoatlanta community usually has meets at least once a month. We have one planned for next Sunday and you are definitely invited. We're going to meet at Varsity's and then drive to a go-cart place.

Sharif will be installing my GSC S1's and then dyno tune afterwards. He is an active member of our forum and always gives us great deals. For example he only charges $40 for three runs on his dyno.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in Columbus, Ga. Im a mastertech. If there is anything I can do to help let me know!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for Forged. Ryans car is gonna be beastly once it's fully tuned and Shariff is a stand up guy!

I'm not sure what shop your talking too, but please stay away from Topspeed. They used to be a very good shop, but it seems they let their success go to their heads and have stopped really caring. Dyno4mance is a good shop, but they sorta messed me over. They tuned me for 91 octane before I moved to Reno, NV and said if I had any problems just to call them and they'd fix the tune via emails. They were helping me for a while, but then they stopped answering my calls and emails. Not sure why, but they seem to be doing right by the GA locals.

Last edited by tripperfx3; Jun 22, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Just do it yourself, youll learn alot lol
Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SME
Just do it yourself, youll learn alot lol
Yup, and if by chance he learns one of the many things not to do on his stroker kit that is a bunch of money down the drain.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on Forged.

I've overseen much of the progress on Ryan's 2.3RR 37R build, and spoken with Sharif on a few occasions. The guy definitely knows what he is doing and is the most professional local tuner I know in GA. I've also known Dylan (One of Forged's techs) since about when he started working there. When it comes time for a big install, this is where I will take my vehicle. I trust them a great deal and I'm not even a customer.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Yup, and if by chance he learns one of the many things not to do on his stroker kit that is a bunch of money down the drain.
Yeah, learning yourself is for people with lots of money or lots of guidance only!! If you don't have one or the other, pay someone who knows what their doing. It will be much cheaper in the long run. As for the install prices above, they are definitely a little steep for my area. Different places can have different labor rates though. My labor rate is $80 an hour in Md. Engine installs usually run 16-18hrs for a basic install just for example. Good luck!!