Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Broken Into & window replacement ideas.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Into & window replacement ideas.

Let me just start off with saying I've been having a s***ty month. First i tried to change my rotor and brake pads and ended up braking a pin in the parking brake. Finally got it fixed over the weekend and was able to drive my car again after 2 weeks of sitting in the driveway. So I went to drop off my gf today and parked outside her house for about 15-20 min. I went into her house to take a break from driving the whole morning and to grab some bug bite cream and when i came out i noticed my passenger window was busted in and the gps was gone! Sigh... I guess it was my fault for leaving it out, i usually hide everything but since it was just a quick run into the house i left it on my dash. So now i'm not sure what to do. I thought about one of the three options:

1. I called my insurance company and they said if i go with safelite they will charge me $219 plus tax to replace the window.

2. Buy my own window and try to replace it on my own. I'm not sure how hard that is, i didn't find any tutorials on the how to section.

3. Buy my own window and have a local mechanic do it for $80.

Oh yes and the pictures...

Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear mam
Old Jun 22, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is very easy to replace the glass. I just did all mine. pm me if you want some tips. If you are marginally mechanical you can do it no problem.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Don't claim against the insurance if you can afford the glass on your own. Not to belittle your experience, but save claims for when something really big happens.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had both of my front windows busted out at different times and it was about $150 each time. I didn't even think about replacing it myself. I wish I had. As far as I know, you just have to take the door panel off and unbolt the glass from the mechanism and pull it out.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:29 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.car-part.com
Give it a shot yourself, its not that bad, there are normally times during window removal that you need to move it up and down to access certain bolts/nuts. The inside trim likely needs to come out (its often bolted/clipped/pinned in with hard to find fasteners so don't go yanking on it right away). Haven't done one on an 8, but have done about 10 or so windows on various cars, including an EVO3, which happened to use a USDM window.
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

it's easy to do... even the body clips that hold the door card to the door on the evo are quite forgiving. I swapped the entire guts from a damaged door to a new door in under an hour.... including all the electrical/speaker/lock mechanism/window, etc...
Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Tallen. What's the diff between exc. Evolution and just regular Evolution? I selected the front door glass but it has 2 options after it so i'm not sure what the exc means.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

well i just put in the regular evolution R and called a number that came up. It's about a hour drive from my house, but they are offering $120 for window and installation. Not bad.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:43 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They mean, when searching lancer, all models except evolution. Usually you get that when no used parts are available.

$120 not bad, I always get used glass when replacing windows. First, its factory, and second it is cheap.
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah $120 doesn't sound too bad but flushing ny is a farrr drive... plus traffic haha too bad the site didn't list any place closer to me.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:28 AM

Yeah man just had my ride broken into the other night. They broke out the little vent window on the rear passenger side. I had a back pack in the back with a sand bag in it for when I go for a run. Those aS*holes thought they got somethin but they didn't get Sh*t. Then they went through the whole car and didn't take anything. That was a blessing in itself. But now I gotta pay $200 out of my own pocket for nothin. Oh well. Good luck man and stay alert.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In my experience I would highly recommend getting glas from the dealer because alot of auto glass shops will use cheap glass. Get it from the dealer and install it yourself.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
In my experience I would highly recommend getting glas from the dealer because alot of auto glass shops will use cheap glass. Get it from the dealer and install it yourself.
what happend when you didn't get the glass from the dealer?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 04:11 AM

i like your seats!!