Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would I be nuts? Yes? No? Inside please...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I be nuts? Yes? No? Inside please...

...for those of you coming from another sports car that had decent power, handling, etc, and are now driving an Evo...and for Evo owners in general....

...I've been reading on here for a while now, just "researching" if you will. I fell in love when i first drove an Evo on a test drive in 2005. However, I came across a WS6 that was what i had originally intended on buying for 3 years...and i found the perfect one....so no Evo then.

Long story short....I own the WS6, and a 98 C5, both with about 16k miles on them. The C5 has a Borla X-Pipe and Stinger exhaust, the WS6 is stock. I love both. My daily "beater" is a 1.8T modded Jetta w/203.3whp/251.7wtq. Fun little car. As much as i love my C5, would i be completely NUTS if i sold the Jetta and C5, kept the WS6 and got an IX and modded it; driving it daily? When i break it down in my head (been over and over and over this a million times), here's what it comes down to....the C5 is a beautiful car, and i love the handling/performance, etc...but its not really meant as a daily driver....i love the car, but its really not that practical(no rain, snow, salt, etc). The Jetta is much more practical, and its fast for what it is, but i'm 6'2" and 215lbs...it looks like i'm getting out of a clown car. When i look to the side to check traffic, i'm actually looking out the passenger rear window-thats how far teh seat is back. That car i couldnt care less if it went. The only one i care about is the C5....would be hard to do.

...So what would you guys do? Or at least what do you think? Thoughts please...

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by ARSENAL670; Jun 25, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

You're going to get some biased answers here cause we all love our Evos. I would say go for it. Keep in mind the Evo is a great all arround car, but is not an economy car. The gas mileage is not all that great, but is OK if not driven hard. I' can't think of any other car I'd rather have. I personally am not a fan of the Vette, but I know that it can be one of the meanest cars arround. The way I look at it you only need 1 RWD V8 car anyway, so keep your favorite one & get an Evo IX.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by shunderwunder
You're going to get some biased answers here cause we all love our Evos. I would say go for it. Keep in mind the Evo is a great all arround car, but is not an economy car. The gas mileage is not all that great, but is OK if not driven hard. I' can't think of any other car I'd rather have. I personally am not a fan of the Vette, but I know that it can be one of the meanest cars arround. The way I look at it you only need 1 RWD V8 car anyway, so keep your favorite one & get an Evo IX.

Thats how i look at it....I love the EVO's.....and have for a long time...and after i drove one, i had even more of a desire to own one. The Vette is a different animal, but again....its not as practical as an Evo. i realize the gas mileage isnt going to be great-but thats ok. I have to run premium in all teh cars anyway. Yea, this is an Evo forum, but alot of you guys come from American muscle as well. It would be sad to the see the Vette go, and most of my freinds would tell me i'm an idiot for doing so...especially for an Evo (but they know nothing about the car and its potential once you start tuning/modding)....

..its a tough f**king decision...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the Jetta and ditch the C-5 and WS6 (to me cheaply!). Buy the Evo and mod the hell out of it. Then when you realize that you miss the WS6 come find me and trade me for the Evo! Sounds like a winner to me! LOL No seriously though you have to keep the Jetta for the same reason I keep my old Z-24 Cavalier. Cheap gas, cheap parts, cheap insurance, always gets me there no matter what. My Evo is a blast to drive and is getting faster all the time. (308awhp last time on the dyno before the new cam) but it is just not the kind of car I can pour gas through at the rate of 15 miles per gallon! For me thats filling it up 2 to 3 times a week! The Cavalier gets 27-30 MPG and is still fun to drive and everything works! (Yes Chevy did build one that has lasted more than 10 years!) Hope I helped a little. Thanks for reading.

Josh
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

It is a tough decision. I had an LS1 Z28 and I regret getting rid of it every day. You are in a pretty good situation now. The Jetta may not be pretty, but it gets the job done, and much cheaper than a evo would. Don't get me wrong, I love my ix, but the WS6 and the C5 are just plain badass. I would keep what you have. Start modding the WS6 with some SLP
goodies to take your mind off the evo.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670
As much as i love my C5, would i be completely NUTS if i sold the Jetta and C5, kept the WS6 and got an IX and modded it; driving it daily?
Tough choice. On the other hand with the Evo you can have the speed of the C5 with some mods, have more traction with the AWD, A better daily driver that can be driven year round, and has a fully functional back seat and a trunk. The only trade-off is it's not a convertible corvette.

Like I said, Tough choice.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:38 PM

I say get rid of the C5 and VW and get the evo. The evo can be blast to drive when modded right and makes a great daily driver with four doors and all wheel drive. Personally, I'm not a fan of the C5 vettes. I definitly wouldn't make the trade from evo to a C5. If you have the need to drive a big v8, that's what the WS6 is for.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:44 PM
Former Vendor

I would keep the 2 you have now.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

IMO get rid of the VW; they are not known to have the best reliability (especially for a DD).

As somebody else mentioned before sell one your RWD V8 cars and get the Evo.

Then get a cheap beater that you can use to commute back and forth.

You'd have the choice of V8 muscle or AWD boosted fun .

Plus any econobox beater would save you on gas versus the Jetta.

Just my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to evom.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Keep the Jetta and ditch the C-5 and WS6 (to me cheaply!). Buy the Evo and mod the hell out of it. Then when you realize that you miss the WS6 come find me and trade me for the Evo! Sounds like a winner to me! LOL No seriously though you have to keep the Jetta for the same reason I keep my old Z-24 Cavalier. Cheap gas, cheap parts, cheap insurance, always gets me there no matter what. My Evo is a blast to drive and is getting faster all the time. (308awhp last time on the dyno before the new cam) but it is just not the kind of car I can pour gas through at the rate of 15 miles per gallon! For me thats filling it up 2 to 3 times a week! The Cavalier gets 27-30 MPG and is still fun to drive and everything works! (Yes Chevy did build one that has lasted more than 10 years!) Hope I helped a little. Thanks for reading.

Josh

Thanks for the response....def dont want to keep the Jetta if i am going to do this...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by CGK
It is a tough decision. I had an LS1 Z28 and I regret getting rid of it every day. You are in a pretty good situation now. The Jetta may not be pretty, but it gets the job done, and much cheaper than a evo would. Don't get me wrong, I love my ix, but the WS6 and the C5 are just plain badass. I would keep what you have. Start modding the WS6 with some SLP
goodies to take your mind off the evo.

There's food for thought and you KNOW, because youre coming from LS1's that are modded....
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Tough choice. On the other hand with the Evo you can have the speed of the C5 with some mods, have more traction with the AWD, A better daily driver that can be driven year round, and has a fully functional back seat and a trunk. The only trade-off is it's not a convertible corvette.

Like I said, Tough choice.

This is one of the biggest reasons i have in my head. I would still have teh WS6, which has the LS1, t-tops, etc...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 6-speed
IMO get rid of the VW; they are not known to have the best reliability (especially for a DD).

As somebody else mentioned before sell one your RWD V8 cars and get the Evo.

Then get a cheap beater that you can use to commute back and forth.

You'd have the choice of V8 muscle or AWD boosted fun .

Plus any econobox beater would save you on gas versus the Jetta.

Just my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to evom.

Thanks.....again, this is the reasoning behind my thinking.....plus i love the looks of the IX....

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions....still not made up on what to do yet, but i did actually expect more "get rid of teh Vette and Jetta and get an Evo" responses, since i'm on an Evo board.....pretty cool to see some different opinons and thoughts.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok,i had a 01 GTi(around 230 HP on a K04) and i have an evo,but after the evo,i want to get a 99 FRC or c5 Zo6 Vette

i love vettes to much to tell you to sell it for an evo...but u can always sell the WS6 and VW
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SOEuro
ok,i had a 01 GTi(around 230 HP on a K04) and i have an evo,but after the evo,i want to get a 99 FRC or c5 Zo6 Vette

i love vettes to much to tell you to sell it for an evo...but u can always sell the WS6 and VW
Nice #'s on the K04....i'm still on the factory K03s, but i prob wont upgrade the turbo because whats the point if i will get an Evo?

I love Vettes too....which is why i have one....but the Evo just makes more sense to enjoy more often.

Where's that winning lottery ticket?