Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crankwalk from the dead!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankwalk from the dead!

Ok I did a little searching and found couple crankwalk threads from like ever ago!! They say evos don't have it, which is good lol. My question is would excessive racing or so to speak banging gears cause this? Well Im sure Im not the only one on here to do it but I like to get "On it" once in a while and now I am stuck with a blown crankshaft sensor a, as mention in my other thread. And well I just thought maybe I "crankwalked" my car......am I nuts? please tell me Im Nuts!!!

SJ
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Also read that if it gets gunked up down there it will go out.......I had my dip stick blow out one time and oil went everywhere....do you think I got oil puddled in there and caused it to go out?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.overbore.com/?go=Define.CrankWalk

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/mi...crankwalk.html

There is some info - not sure how much is true (never know about what you find on the internets anymore), but its a start.

I suggest google crank walk and start reading..........
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With abuse and no maintenance, anything is possible. Let us know what happens to yours.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
any engine could have crank walk, the DSM 7 bolts were just more known for the issue. Do you keep going through crank sensors?

Last edited by EVOizmm; Jun 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:32 AM
iy
Evolving Member

IIRC it was to do with ****ty oil passages in the older 4G63 engines. This issue was fixed in the DSM days and I have not heard "crankwalk" and "evo" in the same sentence ever.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:09 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC, whtever that means, there are a million theories on crankwalk, from clutches, to oil squirters, to crap cranks. No one can relly prove what caused the 2G issue. I would put my money on a combination of many factors. Either way, no worrys in an evo unless you have a terrible engine builder or if you just got that small percentage bound for trouble. Is the sensor physically damaged? Pics?

EVOizmm makes good points too.
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have taken care of my car since day one replacing **** on it countless times... oil changes with syn oils every 3k diffs and transfers every 10k........ so I have ruled out abuse with no maintainance. Hey thanks trav....HAHA I was just trying to meet up with you last week before we moved haha go figure!!! should have been sooner, maybe you could have seen something haha!!!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
http://www.overbore.com/?go=Define.CrankWalk

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/mi...crankwalk.html

There is some info - not sure how much is true (never know about what you find on the internets anymore), but its a start.

I suggest google crank walk and start reading..........

This is what I found with my answers thanks to Travs search HAHA...

Symptoms associated with the crankwalk:

Clutch sensitivity, strange disengage and engage points.
I just had my clutch replaced by gillece transmission and it feels fine , however I do hear rattling/chatter in there when i gas it.

Ticking or strange noise from the pulley side of the engine when clutch is depressed.
I hear this with or without the clutch in.......

Crank Angle Sensor errors ( check engine light )
I am getting this code after it won't start, all I hear is the fuel pump pumping

Difficulty shifting
My car shift very good since the clutch install, no issues besides the chatter when revved

RPMS decreasing significantly when clutch pedal is depressed.
No issues here

Clutch does not return or "sticks" to the floor after being depressed
no issues with this

COuld my sensor have blown from when the oil shot everywhere? I got that ticking sound after I noticed the oil was shot everywhere......
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

If you have crank walk the sensor would be physically broken. The crankshaft sensor wheel would actually move over enough to hit the sensor itself causing it to break. Pull off the lower cover and see if you have any physically damage to the sensor. If not i would say that just the sensor went bad no big deal. If you really want to check things out get a dial indicator and rig up a stand to measure your end play of the crankshaft.

The cause of crankwalk is really not known. Magnus did some research to try and figure it out "actually cut a couple blocks in half" to check for differences. The outcome of everything still did not point to a single problem causing crankwalk.

Chris
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tallen
IIRC, whtever that means, there are a million theories on crankwalk, from clutches, to oil squirters, to crap cranks. No one can relly prove what caused the 2G issue. I would put my money on a combination of many factors. Either way, no worrys in an evo unless you have a terrible engine builder or if you just got that small percentage bound for trouble. Is the sensor physically damaged? Pics?

EVOizmm makes good points too.

no i havent located this sensor yet.... everyone says it under a cover by the pulleys... I am going to get my manual out later....I haven't had anything put into the engine unless the prev. owner had cams and or other motor work!...

SJ
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:24 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
If you have crank walk the sensor would be physically broken. The crankshaft sensor wheel would actually move over enough to hit the sensor itself causing it to break. Pull off the lower cover and see if you have any physically damage to the sensor. If not i would say that just the sensor went bad no big deal. If you really want to check things out get a dial indicator and rig up a stand to measure your end play of the crankshaft.

The cause of crankwalk is really not known. Magnus did some research to try and figure it out "actually cut a couple blocks in half" to check for differences. The outcome of everything still did not point to a single problem causing crankwalk.

Chris
Another post of good info.

Get that sensor out and let's work from there.
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

ok Im on it right now!!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Despite what people say, Evolutions have been known to have crankwalk. Do a search on any european or UK Evo forum, and you will see that there were alot of cases of it.

As far as the oil passage goes, the Evolution block and the 2g block don't have a dedicated oil gallery for the piston squirters, and they share the same gallary as the main bearings do. From what I understand, the only 4G63 engines not to have this are the early 6 bolt units.

There are many theorys to what causes crankwalk, but none have determined for sure the actual cause of it. Many ideas include crappy thrust bearing design, clutch pressure plates with too much force excerted on thrust bearing, poor oil gallery design which can lead to crappy oil pressure to bottom end, further aggrivated at idle when the pressure is lowest, and the driver has his foot on the clutch, putting more stress on the thrust bearing.... there are alot of ideas. But crankwalk can happen to any engine.

Do not confuse a spun bearing with crankwalk.

Quick Reply: Crankwalk from the dead!