Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO Maintenance costs are high?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Maintenance costs are high?

From a different thread, I posted that I was trying to decide between buying a $19,500 WRX and putting about $3000 in mods into it, vs. a $28,000 EVO. I figured that the EVO would only cost me $2000 more over three years, but that's not considering the maintenance costs (and higher insurance). Are the maintenance costs on this thing REALLY going to be much higher than the WRX?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I'm still in the 2,000-mile status so I wouldn't know. I'm still a newbie with the Evo. I change my own oil and fluids so I wouldn't really know how much it actually costs for maintenance. I would assume around $25 for an oil change is about right, right?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

How do you figure they'd be higher than a WRX at all?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:21 PM

Well, the tires that come on the EVO are reported to last about 15,000 miles, if that, which would be about a year. So in the first year, I'm going to need to spend about $600 on replacement tires. Additionally, I heard the brakes wear quickly, as does the stock clutch. All of these items are pretty expensive fixes.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, but think of it this way, if you bought a WRX, to bring it up to the performance of an EVO, you'd be spending well more than new tires, new brakes, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

I don't feel that the maintenance cost on an evo are bad at all. Of course if you were to compare them to a budget economoy car they might seam unreasonable.

Performance cars are generally built closer to the wear limits of thier (more expensive) components. Consequently they will require more frequent and more costly maintenance. I would expect your tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. to cost more for the Evo that the WRX, which has about 80% of the Evo's HP based on that alone.

Please don't take that as authorative, though - just call up a scoobie dealer then a mistu dealer and have the service departments cover the costs of each scheduled service through the mileage you expect to own the car.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

shoot I baught a EVO yesterday and after I sighend the papers the guy tells me u have to get all services done at dealer or it voids the warranty. I was said OK so how much for a oil change?

He tells me its $110 for oil change, rotation, and 27 point inspection ************** I kid u not my jaw ****ing droped to the floor***************** but oh well im still happy with my eVO
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
No, you don't have to get your maintenance done at the dealer. They'll just rape you and make you say thank you sir. You can just do the maintenance yourself, but keep the receipts and document it with a date.

Maintenance-wise:
oem tires = $850
new clutch and installation at dealer = $1000
do it yourself oil change = $25
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Re: EVO Maintenance costs are high?

Originally posted by MeddlingKids
From a different thread, I posted that I was trying to decide between buying a $19,500 WRX and putting about $3000 in mods into it, vs. a $28,000 EVO. I figured that the EVO would only cost me $2000 more over three years, but that's not considering the maintenance costs (and higher insurance). Are the maintenance costs on this thing REALLY going to be much higher than the WRX?
Both cars are going to be very close as far as maintence cost, with the evo just a little more expensive because of tires and syntek oil. But brakes wearing out quickly?

From a performance standpoint, the evo is equipped with some of finest brakes on the market. Sure they may wear more quickly then the WRX if you drive hard and stop hard allot, but most of us would rather have brakes that do their job effectively, even at the expense of a little wear. Trust me, drive both cars and you will want to put the EVO brakes on that WRX if you choose the WRX. EVO's Brembos are very safe too, especially knowing that you will need then at times! Think of it this way, if you start making that WRX faster, then you will have to add a set Brembos to your upgrade list anyway, because more power = the need for better stopping power!

I think you are talking peanuts because logically, you will want to take special care of either car, and you are still going to drive either car very hard at times ... so with that said, both are going to cost extra $$ to maintain. Still, it is not that large of a variation between the two. Hey u have made it this far ... now go buy the evo and don't look back. The WRX is only a little more than 1/2 of the car compared to the EVO .... and u will have to live with that if you choose it.

Heck, if money is such an issue then go buy an SRT-4 for $20K, then you will really have some pocket change left.

Last edited by evo1; Aug 18, 2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:43 AM
STC

Originally posted by CACalomino
shoot I baught a EVO yesterday and after I sighend the papers the guy tells me u have to get all services done at dealer or it voids the warranty. I was said OK so how much for a oil change?

He tells me its $110 for oil change, rotation, and 27 point inspection ************** I kid u not my jaw ****ing droped to the floor***************** but oh well im still happy with my eVO
Hes lying to u. Oil changes cost $60. Good thing I bought 36,000 miles worth of oil changes + some other stuff for $500.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MeddlingKids
Well, the tires that come on the EVO are reported to last about 15,000 miles, if that, which would be about a year. So in the first year, I'm going to need to spend about $600 on replacement tires. Additionally, I heard the brakes wear quickly, as does the stock clutch. All of these items are pretty expensive fixes.
I'm not sure where you live. But if you live in a place with a winter season, you will have to change those summer timres before the cold hits. For many, that is next month. So just be aware that you might have to buy new tires waay before you hit 15k miles.

SC~
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

If you do not have time to do your own oil changes like I don't, just go buy the oil and filter and have the dealer change them for you. The dealer only charged me about $10 for labor. I thought that was fair.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:59 PM

Hehe, I'm not really concerned about oil changes. I can spare $60 every four months. I'm worried about spendng $1000 for a new clutch within the first year.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

my 5k cost me $20 for labor and the oil filter, I supplied the oil. Of course If you drive this car hard you will pay for it. The clutch rumors are true, you launch it you'll burn it. One of the two other Evos here in Redding is down for a clutch and my service writer told me it will not be coverd under warranty. The Sti and the srt4 have great clutches...GRRRRRR I am saving my pennys for a greddy.

Last edited by WildRice; Aug 18, 2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have to sell my WRX I have it on ebay, autotrader and the local paper. I have a long commute and need to sell it. Drop me a line if you are interested.

WRX

Tony
tonyms21@bellsouth.net

Quick Reply: EVO Maintenance costs are high?