Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

carpets are damp? need help please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpets are damp? need help please

last 4-5 days ive gotten into the car after its been sitting in the sun and the inside windows have been fogged up. when cleaning out the car today i noticed the drivers side front and a little bit of the back carpet were wet but the tops of the floormats were not. I guess driving in some heavy rain a week ago it got up into the car?
Has this happened to anyone else. I dont want to have to take out the seats and carpet but it looks like it might be the only option. right now i have it sitting in the sun with the doors open and every now and then put some carpet powder fresh on it and vac it up

Last edited by offthecha1n; Jun 29, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

sound like theres some rubber leak at the door that led the water inside the cabin?
check your rubber which secure the door...
Old Jun 29, 2008, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Have you had the windshield replaced??
Old Jun 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

sounds like the driverside front window's rubber seal is leaking
Old Jun 29, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I drove through some heavy heavy rain (I actually submerged the car to the point the brakes didnt function well ) and didnt have any dampness inside after the fact. Soooo I dont think thats your issue.

+1 on the rubber seals. Good luck with a fix!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

no, the windshield is the original as far as i know. i think i would have seen signs that it was coming through there though?
. ill have to check the door seal still. its starting to dry out but if under the carpet is till damp i think im going to sell it
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
maybe u'r a/c is leaking, check 2 c if its clogged
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I was able to get it dry after a couple days. rained heavy last night, got in it this morn and carpet was soaked again! WTF.
Im guessing its not the a/c, has to be a leak from somewhere. I cant take it to a delaership till mon and i know they will try and pull something where it wont covered.

maybe it is the windshield/cowl and its just running down where I cant see it till it meets the carpet. After this it the carpets are f'd i have to sell her.

Last edited by offthecha1n; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
was it just sitting in the rain last night, or did you drive it in the rain?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

it sat in the rain. I drove it after it rained but no puddles. As it was dark I didnt notice the water till the morning.
1st time i noticed to was very heavy rain like the other night but I was driving in it then. It has been gararged kept up untill 2wks ago so it didnt see too much rain so tjis problem caould have been like it for a while.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

bladder problems?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

lame *** dealership couldnt find a leak so I guess my carpets arent wet at all!
Im going to see if the guy that finds leaks with our cars at work can find it and if so ill take it back to get mitsu to fix as it still under warranty
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:50 AM

^^ sorry to resurface an old thread, but did you ever find out what the issue was? I get this problem most every spring and we'd blamed it on melting ice getting in somewhere it wasn't supposed to, but I got it again last week after being parked on a pretty good incline in the pouring rain. Thoughts are that it's coming in through the heater and that incline I was parked on worked all to perfectly for a recipe for a soaked floor (only drivers side front and back). Awesome part is that it's cold out now so keeping the doors open isn't going to work, and the water turns to ice. Did you ever find the root of your issue?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, am I glad I found this. I had a similar issue a month or two ago.

To the top left of your pedals is a little hole in the fenderwall. It's where the MR's stock boost gauge line is routed into the engine bay. It should be sealed with a black rubber gromet to keep the left front tire from flooding your interior while driving in heavy rain. My problem started when I had an AEM Tru Boost installed by what I would now call a disreputable shop. Rather than route the new line through the gromet, they cut it and left it halfway in the hole. Let the water right in. Had it sealed and my carpet has been bone dry ever since.

Please note that even if your carpet feels dry, it may be wet underneath. Mine still is. I have to replace the carpeting now.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

there seal in the fire wall that ad been popped out for an aftermarket harness by previous owner that when they removed the harness they never replaced it.
dealersjip replace carpet and foam for free. good as new now