Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stig drives the X; let's have a look at the IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was the fq 300 vs. the sti,,,not the 360!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

ive seen an x walk all over the sti in a video but ive also seen the sti outperform the x as well guess its whos driving but in my opinion the sti prolly has an advantage over the new x
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

there were two parts of the show.
one where the host drove the car...where he liked the X a ton more than the STi

then where the Stig drove the car...where the STi drove .02 seconds faster than the Evo

but it looked like the evo had a ****ty launch IMO.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03Cobra2Evo
ive seen an x walk all over the sti in a video but ive also seen the sti outperform the x as well guess its whos driving but in my opinion the sti prolly has an advantage over the new x
stock for stock - i definitely agree with you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

for the people who dont understand a straight forward video, ill try explain it a little. if you still don't get it, then your on your own.. clarkson didn't say the time because he was embarrassed after he talked about the X beats the STi completely in every aspect (other than the weight of course) because he likes the X more...for those of you who didn't know the times..the STi got a time of 1:28:2 and the Evo X got a time of 1:28:22 and the old Evo 8 got a time of 1:28:9..they dont have the Evo 9's lap time though..and to clear things up, they used a 300hp Evo X not the FQ360 because that would've been unfair..
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

EXACTLY

UMMMMMMMMMM I average 26-30mpg freeway/roads. What's so "A LOT" worse about that????? It is called not being a dumbass and WOT all EVERYWHERE! No really logical thinking on that part. [/QUOTE]

Ummm,
Hey jackass, if you can't talk on here without insults, then go back to grade school which apparently you need if you think your numbers are reaching 30. Look at the numbers... that's what says it's A LOT worse. They say 17/22. The XI's were 19/26.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

yawn ...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

[/QUOTE] by Methodical4u
Ummm,
Hey jackass, if you can't talk on here without insults, then go back to grade school which apparently you need if you think your numbers are reaching 30. Look at the numbers... that's what says it's A LOT worse. They say 17/22. The XI's were 19/26.[/QUOTE]

The EPA changed the way they rated gas milage BETWEEN the 2007 and 2008 model year. By todays testing and standards the 2006 Evo IX would have been rated EXACTLY the same as the current X.

Last edited by groove304; Jun 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Actually no, he's not wrong. After the reflash and an intake, I average between 27-30mpg on my 40 mile commute. I also drive it very modestly. The car gives you a live time bar graph showing your mpg, it makes it very easy to high mile the car.

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
EXACTLY

UMMMMMMMMMM I average 26-30mpg freeway/roads. What's so "A LOT" worse about that????? It is called not being a dumbass and WOT all EVERYWHERE! No really logical thinking on that part.
Ummm,
Hey jackass, if you can't talk on here without insults, then go back to grade school which apparently you need if you think your numbers are reaching 30. Look at the numbers... that's what says it's A LOT worse. They say 17/22. The XI's were 19/26.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

by Methodical4u
Ummm,

The EPA changed the way they rated gas milage BETWEEN the 2007 and 2008 model year. By todays testing and standards the 2006 Evo IX would have been rated EXACTLY the same as the current X.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know they changed the rating... i'm also going by what the reviewers of the car says. I personally like the 9 better, but to each his own and if he's getting 30 mpg, then more power to you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

To clear things up....

Stig drove the 6 spd SST GSR which resulted in poor launching compared to the manual Sti
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Dan
To clear things up....

Stig drove the 6 spd SST GSR which resulted in poor launching compared to the manual Sti
2 second slower than the IX FQ320. Pathetic.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
2 second slower than the IX FQ320. Pathetic.

well of course... the X is 300lbs+ heavier and the SST transmission isnt the best for launching compared to a manual trans... too bad they didnt time the FQ360 Evo X
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Dan
well of course... the X is 300lbs+ heavier and the SST transmission isnt the best for launching compared to a manual trans... too bad they didnt time the FQ360 Evo X
What you say is absolutely true. I wouldn't have posted my comment, if it weren't for the hype regarding the X and the claims made about it being a terror on the roadcourse. Clearly, the claims were a little optimistic.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

I think I know what happened.

I think I know what happened...

Obviously the FQ360 Jeremy was driving, and fell in love with, had a re-tuned ECU (Re-tuned from the regular X i mean). This is a known fact that the FQ360 models have a different ECU configuration than the regular X ECU.

The regular X "the stig" was running on the track (That had a slower time than the STi by .02 seconds) may not have recieved the two factory ECU flashes/updates that many of the X's here on this board have recieved from their dealerships. Many of the X owners complained of horrible stuttering at high rpms, hesitations, pig rich conditions, etc. It's quite possibly this regular evo x didn't ever recieve the updates because it's been doing steady press duty and appearances for the last 9 months. Usually those cars just get tossed around from journalist to journalist, and you'd be suprised how many times I've read in magazines reporting that the vehicle they had been given had not yet recieved the XYZ, or whatever, update. Then they note that readers should take this into consideration.

Just my .02 cents.... which is funny, because that's the amount of time the X lost to the STi by.

- Jason

P.S. The Regular X on the track had an SST transmission i believe. It also had a horrible launch.