Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stig drives the X; let's have a look at the IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone keeps saying 2 seconds, ITS NOT 2 Seconds, Its 2 tenths of a second..
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerOZ
I think I know what happened...

Obviously the FQ360 Jeremy was driving, and fell in love with, had a re-tuned ECU (Re-tuned from the regular X i mean). This is a known fact that the FQ360 models have a different ECU configuration than the regular X ECU.

The regular X "the stig" was running on the track (That had a slower time than the STi by .02 seconds) may not have recieved the two factory ECU flashes/updates that many of the X's here on this board have recieved from their dealerships. Many of the X owners complained of horrible stuttering at high rpms, hesitations, pig rich conditions, etc. It's quite possibly this regular evo x didn't ever recieve the updates because it's been doing steady press duty and appearances for the last 9 months. Usually those cars just get tossed around from journalist to journalist, and you'd be suprised how many times I've read in magazines reporting that the vehicle they had been given had not yet recieved the XYZ, or whatever, update. Then they note that readers should take this into consideration.

Just my .02 cents.... which is funny, because that's the amount of time the X lost to the STi by.

- Jason

P.S. The Regular X on the track had an SST transmission i believe. It also had a horrible launch.
This is not the case. It did have the SST transmission though, and poor launching ability is an inherent quality of the transmission (a lot of the time).

and its .02 seconds slower than the 08 sti.
and 2 seconds slower than the IX fq320

Last edited by kyoo; Jun 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
This is not the case. It did have the SST transmission though, and poor launching ability is an inherent quality of the transmission (a lot of the time).

and its .02 seconds slower than the 08 sti.
and 2 seconds slower than the IX fq320

And how exactly could you possibly know that? I watch the episode closely, it never mentioned if it had any factory updates. The fact is, many magazines and review shows got the X before it recieved any factory updates/fixes. Lots of early reviews were done with the X on the crappy ECU. Even Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc got the bad ECU. Big names in the industry. You also don't know when this was filmed.

- Jason
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
And how exactly could you possibly know that? I watch the episode closely, it never mentioned if it had any factory updates. The fact is, many magazines and review shows got the X before it recieved any factory updates/fixes. Lots of early reviews were done with the X on the crappy ECU. Even Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc got the bad ECU. Big names in the industry. You also don't know when this was filmed.

- Jason
Knowing the way the TG guys are I think they would clearly mention if the brand new car was misfiring and generally running like crap though even if they weren't aware of a software update.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QwikSRT4
In the STi's defense, they put up a FQ360 against a regular STi. Not real fair, I'd say.
In the Evo's defense they previously put the Evo up against a 2.5L turbo awd Subaru against a 2.0L RALLY LEGAL Evo

Evo > STi (in looks and performance)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Dom-In-8
Everyone keeps saying 2 seconds, ITS NOT 2 Seconds, Its 2 tenths of a second..
sorry to point out the fault in your math but the difference is two hundredths of a second, not two tenths- a much smaller difference

A good launch would have taken out the two hundredths easily
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
In the Evo's defense they previously put the Evo up against a 2.5L turbo awd Subaru against a 2.0L RALLY LEGAL Evo
That argument died out in 2003. In all honesty, it really doesn't matter if it's rally legal or not in the real world. Hardly anyone is taking the car on rallies anyway, plus this was a comparison of speed on tarmac.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

ALL UKDM CT9A EVOS had SYAC! US cars did not and thats why the USA X's are doing so well in handling dept....no US 8-9's had SAYC so thats why there is a bigger jump in 'omg' handling opinion/reviews here.

Its not that the X is less competent than the CT9A now, its that our neutered, bucks down USA 8-9's were SAYC-'less' and if put on Top gear in past few years wouldn't have put down as good track numbers as the UKDM w sayc. So yes, the X is better than the US CT9's at the track but.....

....over there in UK the spread is not as negligable....especially w/ X being heavier.

Last edited by threepointsix; Jul 1, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts

- Jason
One thing, this is Top Gear. They wouldn't put a car on the test track without mentioning something like that.
Another, this is Europe. these aren't the same Evo X's that are in the US. Are the X's here that are FQ300 GSR SS-T? You don't think they would touch the ECU over there?

Anyway, what's your point? It's slower than it should have been?
Well there wasn't any mechanical failures...