Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Think I found an Evo8... good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:06 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
so why not have both?
ams, ams, and ams.... and hes looking for an evo because someone went "Tundra SMASH!" on it
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he works at a dealership ask him to run a carfax for you. They usually have a subscription to carfax, so it won't cost them anything.

Any pictures of the car? It seems like a good deal, I happen to love the SSL interior. It is a little slippery but looks great.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gsxtremedsm
If he works at a dealership ask him to run a carfax for you. They usually have a subscription to carfax, so it won't cost them anything.

Any pictures of the car? It seems like a good deal, I happen to love the SSL interior. It is a little slippery but looks great.
No pics... car currently doesn't have the trunk installed so it wouldn't do it justice. He just had it detailed so it is shiny as all get-up... slippery for sure lol.

I'm a bit leery of leather interiors ever since my 1G (aka Frost's old 1G ) and how they hold up over time (I dare you to find some 1G leather that isn't pwned)... oh well I'll be in an Evo X before this leather gets worn
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derekste
1) Guy said he did the timing belt when he did the cams... no cam gears were done, but I'll pick at him a bit more on this

2) I'll probably run a Carfax just to be safe. I know they don't catch 100% of the accidents/repairs, but it couldn't hurt. Everything else looks to be in good shape & be original... FMIC, Radiator etc, so I doubt it was in an accident. The reason it is repainted is because the guy works at a BMW dealership that does bodywork and he had a hookup. He was also going to fill/paint the trunk, but I want to get a wing back on there so I told him not to. Is the hood or front bumper stamped with a VIN anywhere that I could cross-check?
Been 6+ months since I saw my old Evo, but if I remember correctly both the front quarters had it on the inside lip facing up towards the hood and the front bumper had it right in front or underneath of the air scoop for the intake on the bumper. Either way, if it's been repainted paying someone a little bit to look it over is worth it. I don't really trust carfax at all anymore. There was a WRX sold on MWIR a few months back which was all decked out JDM 6MT / EJ207 & looked great. That car was actually halves of two cars and it had a clean carfax.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm well I think that a JDM engine and tranny should throw up a red flag about being a perfect car.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

1) Guy said he did the timing belt when he did the cams... no cam gears were done, but I'll pick at him a bit more on this

2) I'll probably run a Carfax just to be safe. I know they don't catch 100% of the accidents/repairs, but it couldn't hurt. Everything else looks to be in good shape & be original... FMIC, Radiator etc, so I doubt it was in an accident. The reason it is repainted is because the guy works at a BMW dealership that does bodywork and he had a hookup. He was also going to fill/paint the trunk, but I want to get a wing back on there so I told him not to. Is the hood or front bumper stamped with a VIN anywhere that I could cross-check?
i had a honda prelude two accidents one in the rear and one up front both with police reports and after the accidents had the car painted at macco :-P and then sold it carfax stated no accidents... take it to a body shop.. and see if there was any internal damage ... or i'd def take it to ams gl good price
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

1. forget any shred of a warranty with that car

2. get it looked over, if it's good to go (AMS knows their Sh..) buy it asap cause that's cheap.

3. post pics of your pickup in the show & shine forum!

P.S. SSL rocks
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
1. forget any shred of a warranty with that car

2. get it looked over, if it's good to go (AMS knows their Sh..) buy it asap cause that's cheap.

3. post pics of your pickup in the show & shine forum!

P.S. SSL rocks
haha.. not my pickup, but rather the pickup that killed my 1G
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:53 PM

Nice find! Test drive and see how it goes?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

so I went and drove the car again and Frost and I did a more thorough inspection.

The only real problem I could find was the AC didn't work! (big deal for me, 1G had no AC and we all know how hot a black/black car with leather can get)

It looked as if the system didn't have any Freon in it (little window on the hardline). It could be as simple as a system recharge, or as complicated as a pinhole leak/bad compressor. Is this something I could get warrantied possibly, or would I be better off taking it to a shop that does AC.

Guy offered to throw in some parts he originally wasn't going to, to offset the cost... stock muffler/cat, stock cams, carbon fiber exhaust shield, some lame aftermarket turbo manifold (will get sold) and an aftermarket O2 housing. Thoughts?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good deal.

I would echo everyone else on making sure it wasn't in an accident.

It will be nice to move into an Evo but I still miss my DSM's.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

so I went and drove the car again and Frost and I did a more thorough inspection.

The only real problem I could find was the AC didn't work! (big deal for me, 1G had no AC and we all know how hot a black/black car with leather can get)

It looked as if the system didn't have any Freon in it (little window on the hardline). It could be as simple as a system recharge, or as complicated as a pinhole leak/bad compressor. Is this something I could get warrantied possibly, or would I be better off taking it to a shop that does AC.

Guy offered to throw in some parts he originally wasn't going to, to offset the cost... stock muffler/cat, stock cams, carbon fiber exhaust shield, some lame aftermarket turbo manifold (will get sold) and an aftermarket O2 housing. Thoughts?
Or it never worked after the front end accident it was in?

Sorry, I'm a worst case scenario thinker and I would def take this to Devo. Will cost you next to nothing to have someone who rebuilds salvaged Evos give it a look over. Probably can get the AC diagnosed as well.

IMO stock parts should be included, especially the exhaust.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Or it never worked after the front end accident it was in?

Sorry, I'm a worst case scenario thinker and I would def take this to Devo. Will cost you next to nothing to have someone who rebuilds salvaged Evos give it a look over. Probably can get the AC diagnosed as well.

IMO stock parts should be included, especially the exhaust.
yeah, I'm definitely a worst-case scenario type thinker, too.

fortunately, the VIN on the quarter panels matched, as did the VIN on the hood... so unless there was some really freak accident like a tow-hitch punching through the radiator, it seems legit. running a carfax as we speak, so we'll see what that has to say. I'd love to take it to DEVO, but with the upcoming holiday weekend and my work schedule, it will probably just go to AMS for an inspection since I live so dangerously close to them.

edit: and as far as the exhaust... he doesn't have the downpipe/exhaust... just the resonator and cat :-/
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Cool, as long as you have someone _very_ familiar with the frame and rebuilding these look it over you'll be in good hands.

RE: The exhaust
I'd get whatever you can from the stock exhaust, especially if you can get the cat. It's hard to say what the future emissions testing in IL may bring, but if it gets much more strict than just needing to pass OBDII tests you may need whatever you can get.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Cool, as long as you have someone _very_ familiar with the frame and rebuilding these look it over you'll be in good hands.

RE: The exhaust
I'd get whatever you can from the stock exhaust, especially if you can get the cat. It's hard to say what the future emissions testing in IL may bring, but if it gets much more strict than just needing to pass OBDII tests you may need whatever you can get.
I had a sweet hi-flow cat on my 1G, but unfortunately scrappers got to it before I could

just as a precaution, car will be registered out in Boone county... but I'll probably put another HFC on anyways just because I'm green like that

p.s. you should bring your hoopty to the drag day in September. check MWIR drag forum.