Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Think I found an Evo8... good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I found an Evo8... good deal?

Found a guy local to me selling a 2005 Tarmac Black Evo VIII

Quick rundown on the car:
SSL package (didn't initially want this, but I dig the HIDs)
39k on the Odometer (warranty is +1 in my book)
Crowers 272s
Walbro 255
K&N intake
AMS LICP
3" catless turboback w/Magnaflow muffler
Tein springs
Forge BOV
Greddy EBC
Apexi turbo timer
No wing
Gauges + radio relocation - meh
"Stage 1" clutch upgrade... I think it is an Exedy/Clutchnet deal... gonna find out for sure.
ebay/Megan O2 housing (not installed)
Timing belt already done!

Guy wants $21.5k, and I think this is a great deal. Hood and bumper repainted due to rock chips, and I had the option of getting the trunk holes filled but I am going to try and track down a spoiler because I dig the look.

Any comments? Really looking forward to graduating from a 1G Talon to an Evo8!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

good deal, ****** it up!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

that's a hell of a deal.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

test drive it... It sounds really good, and if you buy it, make sure you change the springs...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mirebih
test drive it... It sounds really good, and if you buy it, make sure you change the springs...
LOL... was wondering if anyone had any, erm, opinions on the Teins

I already had the owner give me a drive... pulled a lot harder than my cammed, big 16G'd 1G DSM (275awhp/275tq). Now that I am serious and have the cash/loan, I'm going to ask him to let me drive it.

I was a bit surprised at how loud the exhaust was... significantly louder than my 1G. I'll probably throw a cat on it which should quiet it down... and because I'm environmentally responsible like that
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:50 PM

all those mods listed............ warranty can be pissed on...sorry
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

That's a wicked deal. And I actually like wingless evos.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sixfatbabies
all those mods listed............ warranty can be pissed on...sorry
I'm more concerned about electrical issues than anything else. I had a modded 04 Jetta 1.8T that had a couple annoying cabin & electrical issued that I got fixed no problem. Plus, the local Mitsu dealer is now "mod friendly", so I don't think I'll have too much problem. Powertrain stuff will all be handled by AMS... it's really nice living closer to the shop than anyone can imagine.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that the Magnuson-Moss warranty act provides that the warrantor has to prove that the modified parts caused the failure before they deny warranty service.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a steal. I would go for it and have it checked out by your local mechanic or tuner shop!!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueEvo61106
Sounds like a steal. I would go for it and have it checked out by your local mechanic or tuner shop!!
I have a tentative appointment with AMS to look at it... but I think all they are going to do is a boost leak test, compression test, and under-car inspection (dyno is too busy to get me on for a couple pulls).

since the car is pretty new, you think it is worth the 1.5 hours of labor (~$135) ?

gonna go by with a friend on wednesday night and do a bit of logging... look for knock and whatnot.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

You can **** on Magnuson-Moss warranty act while you're pissing on the warranty. There are some mod friendly dealers around but it's pretty much up to them and mitsu if they want to honor the warranty.

Price sounds good though.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
You can **** on Magnuson-Moss warranty act while you're pissing on the warranty. There are some mod friendly dealers around but it's pretty much up to them and mitsu if they want to honor the warranty.

Price sounds good though.
Yep, and that's if the car isn't already flagged in their database for being extensively modified. As far as the MMA I've heard tons of talk about it, seen tons of people with denied warranties talk about it but have yet to find anyone who used it to their advantage. I wouldn't go into this expecting that to save you if any issues arise.

Two concerns I would have if I were in your shoes.
1.) Why was the timing belt replaced early? Or what else was done that they were in a situation where the timing belt could conveniently be replaced.
2.) If the front was really repainted for rock chips. I'd swing by Devo and have them take a look at it. I don't know if they still do, but they used to do quite a few salvage-rebuilds.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brian_H
Yep, and that's if the car isn't already flagged in their database for being extensively modified. As far as the MMA I've heard tons of talk about it, seen tons of people with denied warranties talk about it but have yet to find anyone who used it to their advantage. I wouldn't go into this expecting that to save you if any issues arise.

Two concerns I would have if I were in your shoes.
1.) Why was the timing belt replaced early? Or what else was done that they were in a situation where the timing belt could conveniently be replaced.
2.) If the front was really repainted for rock chips. I'd swing by Devo and have them take a look at it. I don't know if they still do, but they used to do quite a few salvage-rebuilds.
1) Guy said he did the timing belt when he did the cams... no cam gears were done, but I'll pick at him a bit more on this

2) I'll probably run a Carfax just to be safe. I know they don't catch 100% of the accidents/repairs, but it couldn't hurt. Everything else looks to be in good shape & be original... FMIC, Radiator etc, so I doubt it was in an accident. The reason it is repainted is because the guy works at a BMW dealership that does bodywork and he had a hookup. He was also going to fill/paint the trunk, but I want to get a wing back on there so I told him not to. Is the hood or front bumper stamped with a VIN anywhere that I could cross-check?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derekste
I already had the owner give me a drive... pulled a lot harder than my cammed, big 16G'd 1G DSM (275awhp/275tq).
seriously....!!?

you only have 275awhp ? PM your mod list, and who tuned the car and how it was tuned.. im interested... you should have more than 275...

good luck w/ the Evo though... im in the same boat as you! looking to upgrade.. but i still want to keep the DSM.. so why not have both?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by derekste
1) Guy said he did the timing belt when he did the cams... no cam gears were done, but I'll pick at him a bit more on this

2) I'll probably run a Carfax just to be safe. I know they don't catch 100% of the accidents/repairs, but it couldn't hurt. Everything else looks to be in good shape & be original... FMIC, Radiator etc, so I doubt it was in an accident. The reason it is repainted is because the guy works at a BMW dealership that does bodywork and he had a hookup. He was also going to fill/paint the trunk, but I want to get a wing back on there so I told him not to. Is the hood or front bumper stamped with a VIN anywhere that I could cross-check?

there are unscratchable vins on most of the body panels if the bumper was painted they probably pulled that one but they are all over.