Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clean IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nawaz
The A/C works very well on my MR. I hate to bring you down or anything, but if it was me buying the car, I would not buy it used. You never know the 100% truth about the car. Maintainence issues could come, clutch problems could come up, and other important issues could come in the way. Even though the car may have been inspected by a first rate dealership, the car is still a used car and I would never buy a used car...especially at that high of a price. I know you like Evo's so why don't you get the brand new Evo X GSR. I know, I know the X is not the same hardcore driver's car as the IX, but it's still pretty nice. I heard that you can get a new X GSR in Houston, TX for as low as $30,000. That's most likely a base model, but that's only a couple of thousand dollars more than the used MR that you are very interest in. I have a 2006 Evolution IX MR SE and I'm advising you to consider more options just to be on the safe side. All the best and good luck my friend.

Nawaz; Thanks for the e-mail the other day, haven't had time to respond yet. Here is the thing. I am 41 and love cars and luckily can afford a toy or two (just don't want to get ripped off either). I've been looking for a new car and recently test drove the new M3 as well as the MB C63. Having owned the E30 & E36 M3s, I was extremely disappoinited with the new ones. They are fast and all, but they are not that fun to drive. Cars are just getting too heavy. The C63 has a stock exhaust from hell (best stock exhaust I've ever heard) and it is fun to drive in a straight line, but it is a pig at almost 4000 lbs and it just feels heavy around corners. Also doesn't come in a stick which I prefer. I think you can attribute some of these same things to the new evo X. Sure it's a great car and all, but it's also heavier and not as raw as the IX, which quite honestly, is what I like. From everything I'm reading, a few bolt ons (I'm not gonna go too crazy) and this thing will be that much funner to throw around. I also have the issue of a couple kids, and although this will not be a daily driver, I'm sure they will want a ride every so often. Otherwise I was considering the Elise or Exige. I just can't come up with too many cars that are a blast to drive, with a back seat, for not too much dough (and I like this better than the Subarus).

One of the funnest cars I've ever owned was a 1988 Mazda 323GTX. I put $3 grand into it (exhaust, turbo piping, EBC, and suspention) and it rocked. I really enjoyed surprising nicer more expensive cars in a rare Mazda. Wasn't the best looking car, but man was it fun. That is what I miss.

As far as buying a used car, it's still under warranty, and this thing still smells new. I will check it out in more detail per some of the suggestions on the thread, but I'm not too worried.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't worry about buying a used EVO, especially if it's bone stock. The warranty will cover whatever goes wrong with it. There's no point buying a new car in this day and age. They depreciate immediately and you can buy lightly used cars for $10k off the MSRP.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

try to get 25 for it =D
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nawaz
The A/C works very well on my MR. I hate to bring you down or anything, but if it was me buying the car, I would not buy it used. You never know the 100% truth about the car. Maintainence issues could come, clutch problems could come up, and other important issues could come in the way. Even though the car may have been inspected by a first rate dealership, the car is still a used car and I would never buy a used car...especially at that high of a price. I know you like Evo's so why don't you get the brand new Evo X GSR. I know, I know the X is not the same hardcore driver's car as the IX, but it's still pretty nice. I heard that you can get a new X GSR in Houston, TX for as low as $30,000. That's most likely a base model, but that's only a couple of thousand dollars more than the used MR that you are very interest in. I have a 2006 Evolution IX MR SE and I'm advising you to consider more options just to be on the safe side. All the best and good luck my friend.
The car will still be under warranty assuming it hasn't been modded. That can be determined pretty easily by checking the VIN with Mitsu and poking around the engine bay. I've bought several high performance turbo cars used and each one has saved me a considerable amount of money and never given me hassles -- I would much rather have someone else like you who thinks a new car is the only way to go eat the depreciation and leave me with money leftover for other stuff
Old Jul 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Hopefully this helps. I paid $26,000 for an 8 MR with 18,000 miles about 2 months ago. All stock. very nice shape with new Advan 046's already on the car. It was Private Party.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know one year ago I got mine with 4000 miles for 31k. 28 sounds good. The power train warranty will outlast a new X, but if you plan to void your warranty it would be nice to have been the only owner. I drove mine 8000 miles before doing any mods, and kept my stock exhaust just in case. as for the comment about getting a X I waited for the x and after I read the early test results from C&D and motor trend I went and found the lowest miles ix mr I could. I actualy found a new one, but the dealer wanted $39k, and It was my least favorite evo color, I say buy the ix you will love it.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good deal go for it. The car is preaty much new