Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AMS Carbon Shift knob higher then ARC Ti?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
AMS Carbon Shift knob higher then ARC Ti?

Bottom line, going to be buying my friends fully built Evo 8 soon. He has a built shep tranny, twin disk exedy, and the B&M short shifter.

Test drove it today, he has the B&M short shifter which everyone knows lowers the shifter height a lot. He also has the ARC Ti shift knob which threads pretty low, so overall the shifter sits pretty low and makes it hard to shift into each gear because of the lack of leverage.

I want to raise the shifter as much as possible and the most obvious and easiest thing to do is to get a shift knob that threads lower thus it sits higher.

Just wondering how the AMS carbon shift knob would fair with the B&M short shifter?

Reason why I want to do this is because I tried driving his car like I drive my stock clutch, stock turbo, stock 6 tranny MR, which I can bang gears through day in and day out and never miss. Obviously 2 different cars with about a 200awhp difference. Tried the same method on his car and kept getting locked out. I got a could good pulls in but this was with me not trying to shift that fast. I think one of the main problems was the lack off leverage on the shifter.

It just is a lot more effort in his car to shift fast, but I think the taller shifter will help me a lot.

One thing he told me though is that I'm going to have to practice and get to know the car really well before I can really start shifting fast. He told me that he can't shift my 6 speed fast to save his life. So I think its a combination of knowing the car, and having a higher shifter for better leverage.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
i recently purchased the ams carbon fiber shift knob. IF you compare it to the stock leather knob it raises it up maybe a cm or two. I think it looks great and it feels great also. I dont have a short throw shifter but i love the feel of my shifter. It goes into each gear with ease.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know that a short shifter can make it a tad harder to shift from gear to gear.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueDemon
You know that a short shifter can make it a tad harder to shift from gear to gear.
Yep I'm aware of this. Just yesterday I drove my friends 05 evo 8. He has the same short shifter and his is not nearly as hard but he still has the stock tranny and a higher shift knob.

Maybe an easier question how much lower does the arc ti knob sit then the stock one?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder if this knob fits on the MR?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would think any actual lock out would not really be shifter leverage related. Difficulty: yes, lockout: no. Are you just talking high rpm or all rpm? It could just be a poorly adjusted clutch (even if it is just at the pedal travel level). It could also be a clutch that tends to lock out if it is only at high RPM, but that could also mean worn synchros. Can he bang it through them?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 08:04 AM

I have some tall momo shift knobs if you are interested
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
I would think any actual lock out would not really be shifter leverage related. Difficulty: yes, lockout: no. Are you just talking high rpm or all rpm? It could just be a poorly adjusted clutch (even if it is just at the pedal travel level). It could also be a clutch that tends to lock out if it is only at high RPM, but that could also mean worn synchros. Can he bang it through them?
The initial engagment from neutral to any gear is pretty hard kinda notchy. Yes he can run through the gears pretty fast. He told me that you pretty much just have to really pull or throw it into gear.

I only got lockout in high rpms just cruising the shifter was stiff but definitely no lock out.

The whole tranny was just rebuilt by shep stage 2 I believe about 5k ago so the synchros should be fine.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I was wondering who was going to grab Jeramie's ride. Are you keeping the MR or going back to stock and selling it? You can probably tell where I'm going with this, so if you're going back to stock please PM me when!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
I was wondering who was going to grab Jeramie's ride. Are you keeping the MR or going back to stock and selling it? You can probably tell where I'm going with this, so if you're going back to stock please PM me when!
Yeah man I'll hopefully be picking it up end of this month. My car is definitely getting sold. Not sure if I'm going to sell it how it is or what. If I get what I want out of it then no.

If I do part out I'll let you know man. I gotta feeling your interested in the JDM rear.