Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

An opinion on this mods? or some inputs? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An opinion on this mods? or some inputs? Thanks

Hi, I have a GG Evo IX. Right now it is bone stock other than a K&N Drop-in filter.
I am planning to modify it a little bit to have more fun for my DD.

Here is my planned mod list, would like some inputs from all of you

JDM IX Rear Bumper
Cobb TBE JDM fitment /w HFC (3" inches all the way, one of the most quiet TBE out there)
Intake? Cone filter? AirBox? would like some inputs for that.
AEM Uego Wideband
AEM Tru Boost
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
O2 Housing (Should I do this or not?..)
A Tune
Walbro 255 Fuel Bump (Do i need this for just a few mods that I am planning?)
ETS 3" FMIC (a good choice? or do I really need to change my interooler?)

I am thinking if I should also install the Jun Mivec 272 cams too. I don't really want to touch my engine for reliability issue. Therefore, would really like some inputs.

Also what number I should be looking for this mods and a good tune from Lucas English Racing?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

push..?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have gathered, the O2 housing swap may not be worth the gains compared to the pain of the install.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Looks like your on the right path. Don't forget a good set of IC pipes to go along with your FMIC. Cams are a good choice. I'm rocking smaller cams (264/264) which idle well and doesn't affect drivability whatsoever. So I wouldn't be too scared of going with a set of camshafts.

Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by keithano
Hi, I have a GG Evo IX. Right now it is bone stock other than a K&N Drop-in filter.

JDM IX Rear Bumper
Cobb TBE JDM fitment /w HFC (3" inches all the way, one of the most quiet TBE out there)
Intake? Cone filter? AirBox? would like some inputs for that.
AEM Uego Wideband
AEM Tru Boost
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
O2 Housing (Should I do this or not?..)
A Tune
Walbro 255 Fuel Bump (Do i need this for just a few mods that I am planning?)
ETS 3" FMIC (a good choice? or do I really need to change my interooler?)

I am thinking if I should also install the Jun Mivec 272 cams too. I don't really want to touch my engine for reliability issue. Therefore, would really like some inputs.

Also what number I should be looking for this mods and a good tune from Lucas English Racing?

The mods you are choosing are good. My imput on the intake is keep the stock airbox and put in a K&N drop in filter or keep the stock rubber hose to the MAF and put on a K&N cone filter. o2 is up to you on that. Cams are a good mod that won't hurt the reliability but remember if you do cams do headstuds as well. Cheap mod that will give you a lot of "insurance". Have you thought about running a mini battery with a nice shiney new upper IC pipe and maybe a BOV just to clean up the engine bay a bit? Just an idea.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

JDM IX Rear Bumper Whatever makes you happy, but I would stay clear of expensive visual mods until after my car performed the way I wanted it to
Cobb TBE JDM fitment /w HFC (3" inches all the way, one of the most quiet TBE out there) Not a bad exhaust, but there are others that are just as good, many of which you can probably find for cheaper.
Intake? Cone filter? AirBox? would like some inputs for that. No, no, and no. Keep your K&N, the rest aren't worth it.
AEM Uego Wideband Fine
AEM Tru Boost I'd go Defi, but that's just me
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge Same as above... I loved my Defi set-up, with the VSD HUD and the control units etc.
O2 Housing (Should I do this or not?..) Like someone else said, I don't think its fully worth it.
A Tune This is a no brainer
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (Do i need this for just a few mods that I am planning?) Yes, its a good cheap safety net.
ETS 3" FMIC (a good choice? or do I really need to change my interooler?) Not really worth it IMO, I'd do cams well before doing intercooler/piping

I am thinking if I should also install the Jun Mivec 272 cams too. I don't really want to touch my engine for reliability issue. Therefore, would really like some inputs. GSC S1s ftmfw. For a fun DD with a little bit of track/autox/etc I'd go with something less crazy, and expensive, than the JUNs

Also what number I should be looking for this mods and a good tune from Lucas English Racing? Varies by dyno, but if you do the cams I'd say anywhere from 300 to 330 whp, but like I said, there's a lot of variables.
Above is my personal revision of your list. But it all winds up being a matter of personal preference, and this isn't to say your list isn't good, just not how I would do it.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

JDM IX Rear Bumper Ditch this mod. It's alot of money that can be allocated elsewhere.
Cobb TBE JDM fitment /w HFC (3" inches all the way, one of the most quiet TBE out there) I was going to say get a Buschur exhaust...it's the lightest and most power TBE out there, but since you care about noise output nevermind.
Intake? Cone filter? AirBox? would like some inputs for that. Most people will tell you that an intake is not necessary, however since you're getting tuned I don't see the problem with buying an intake pipe & filter. It's extra horsepower and who doesn't want that?
AEM Uego Wideband Good
AEM Tru Boost There's cheaper options out there...ProSport or GloShift gauges could help you save money and still do a good job
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge You don't need this right now
O2 Housing (Should I do this or not?..) Wait until you do a turbo upgrade to do this
A Tune A no brainer
Walbro 255 Fuel Bump (Do i need this for just a few mods that I am planning?) Yes!
ETS 3" FMIC (a good choice? or do I really need to change my interooler?) ETS is one of the best and you may as well upgrade because a bigger more efficient FMIC will in turn allow you to run more boost without heatsoaking

I am thinking if I should also install the Jun Mivec 272 cams too. I don't really want to touch my engine for reliability issue. Therefore, would really like some inputs. Cams will not affect reliability. Go with some GSC S1s. They're perfect for your goals. Also you DON'T need headstuds. The stock headstuds more than do the job.

Also what number I should be looking for this mods and a good tune from Lucas English Racing?I would say between 340-350whp
Check out my responses. They're in bold.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:50 PM

I have a GG IX MR. The only performance mods that I have done so far is a drop-in intake, Greddy Profec B SpecII (w/ boost at 23psi), and a tune. Very happy so far. Still saving up for the TBE. To me, it seemed like the most economical way to get power was to turn up the boost and get a tune -- while I am saving up for the rest of the bolt-ons to come later.

eb
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

get jun 272's with kigley beehive springs and retainers and ams tms headstuds. Lots of reliable power.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Switch to E85, RC 1000cc, 255fp and a GM 3-port boost control.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Switch to E85, RC 1000cc, 255fp and a GM 3-port boost control.
E85 is not readily available in our state so this may not really be a viable option at this time. Think the closest E85 station is in Spokane.

The other upgrades sugguested are right on. I also love my Defi gauges even though they are more expensive they do look nice and you see them all the time. All in all this is your choice.