Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu dealers are hilarious

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should just ask the salesperson to drive it and you can ride shotgun at the very least. If they won't do that, screw 'em.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They won't have much trouble selling it either way.

Who in God's name cross-shops a brand new $60k M3 and a $40k Mitsubishi anyway?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Who in God's name cross-shops a brand new $60k M3 and a $40k Mitsubishi anyway?
Before I bought an Evo, I drove everything from a GTI to a S4 to a C6 to a BoxterS. I liked the Evo the most, in no small part due to its direct connection to the driver, its lack of unnecessary gadgets, bells and whistles, and of course its wide performance envelope. If the OP is of similar mindset, I can easily understand his desire to buy the best sporting machine for his needs, regardless of something as superficial as the price tag. YMMV
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmelocik
More "I'm better than you because my car cost more than yours" thinking.

I pulled up in a seven year old purple Cavalier and the sales manager had no problems letting me take an 05 Evo for a test drive when I bought mine in 05. I was pre-approved by my bank but they didn't know that at the time.

Josh
I'm not saying it's right by no means...just saying if anything, why wouldn't he let someone driving a BMW test drive an Evo?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I got to test drive the only X MR on the lot at the local dealer. I actually liked it but was only interested in how the auto trans worked. I found the Sport mode auto to be slower than my own shifting
Did you put it in Sport or S-Sport? I find S-Sport is very fast, Sport is quick, and Normal is comfortable. S-Sport is wild on back roads; tap the break, it recognizes you are going into a turn, drops the gear so you're at an ideal point in the power band to exit... I'll be trying it out at the Glen in 2 weeks.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:49 AM

most people go to the dealer to not test drive but go on a joy ride. but the excuse here is that the cars are turbo charged so they will not be up for a test drive...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

dang. my mitsu dealer is awesome! i went in there and asked to drive the 06 MR n they let me. I was only 18 at the time. I ended up noy buying it. I got a used 8. And i'll go in there for stuff and they hook me up. I went in fri for an oil filter and they didnt charge me.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
More "I'm better than you because my car cost more than yours" thinking.

I really don't think that is the case. It shows that you are finacially stable to afford the vehicle that you are interested in.
I think many young adults would want to test drive such a vehicle because they are "cool", knowing they can not afford it.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I really don't think that is the case. It shows that you are finacially stable to afford the vehicle that you are interested in.
I think many young adults would want to test drive such a vehicle because they are "cool", knowing they can not afford it.
I understand what you are saying but a lot of people lease expensive vehicles and the monthly note on a lease is a lot less expensive than a note of a financed vehicle. So just because somebody drives into the parking lot of a dealership in an expensive car doesn't mean they can afford a car that cost less than what they are driving. Their credit report needs to be looked at along with proof of their income.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's not just mitsu that does that. go ask to drive a new z06 at chevy, or a new challenger or viper from dodge. or better yet, go to a ford and ask to drive a ford gt. if youre halfass about buying that specific car, don't expect a test drive. period. NO ONE WILL LET YOU TEST DRIVE A TOP DOG CAR JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE UNDER 21. fact of life kids. sorry. really, if you've never driven the car before, how is a 5 mile test drive gonna sway your opinion? i never drove an evo before the one i have and the only reason i got to test drive it is because it was used, at a lexus dealership. i ended up buying it because it was the car i wanted, not really based off the test drive. i just took it for a spin to see if it leaked and was safe.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Having worked at a car dealership before college every car gets test driven at some point. Ever had it back at the dealer for its warranty checkups? Or had work done by the dealer and picked it up the next day? The techs used to kill two birds with one stone by "test driving" the car after it was worked on by loading the boys up and going to lunch in it. It used to be a scramble to get the keys for the fsatest cars in the service lot. Not to mention the open 1/8th of mile blacktop we had in the back of the lot made for some interesting races. Hell I lost $ betting that a stock Viper would beat an EVo in the 1/8th with god knows whos cars.
Ahhhh...... to be 18 again.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jroller
Having worked at a car dealership before college every car gets test driven at some point. Ever had it back at the dealer for its warranty checkups? Or had work done by the dealer and picked it up the next day? The techs used to kill two birds with one stone by "test driving" the car after it was worked on by loading the boys up and going to lunch in it. It used to be a scramble to get the keys for the fsatest cars in the service lot. Not to mention the open 1/8th of mile blacktop we had in the back of the lot made for some interesting races. Hell I lost $ betting that a stock Viper would beat an EVo in the 1/8th with god knows whos cars.
I don't know if anyone remembers the Mustang fiasco that floated around the automotive forums a couple of years ago. A woman took her Cobra for service and discussed it on one Mustang forum, while on another Mustang forum, at the very same time, a Ford tech was bragging about beating on a costumer's Cobra. Soon thereafter, the two threads met and the proverbial sh/t hit the fan.

Sadly, it's up to the owner to make sure that his car doesn't get violated. Leaving an Evo overnight? Yea, right. Letting a tech drive the car unsupervised? Over my dead body. Hell, my SE never even had gas put into it by anyone other than me since it rolled off the trailer. It was written into the sales contract right next to no paint/interior prep. To this day, the car has never been out of its owner's reach.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well, i understand them not letting ya test drive a new one... potential buyers and salesmen alike tend to thrash evos.

I had a bad experience, i was looking at a new IX last year, with 800 miles. Guess what kind of miles those were? The lame-o sales guy missing shifts and busting the car up. Did I buy it? Heck no.

So I say its a good thing that they arent letting anyone drive it
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

went to local dealership today to get a cabin air filter, and they had at least 10 (in front) Evo Xs sitting out front with big "$1k OFF" stickers on them. I guess they aren't moving as well as they hoped...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Whats really funny is if you only knew how the cars (general across OEM's) are driven when they come off the assembly line HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Or better yet, when they are being checked before they reach the end of the assembly line on a AWD chassis dyno.

You'd be quite surprised. I know I was.

Either way most OEM's to my knowledge have some sort of test track before the vehicles reach a waiting lot to be shipped. Although they could be doing you a favor by seating the rings, that is still a disputed arguement with many ppl.
My point is it's a good chance your new vehicle has already be beat on to some point before it even reaches the shipping truck, train, or boat.