Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whistle/Whine noise while under boost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jzapatajr
Hey guys,

I am kind of a noob when it comes to Evo's, so I need your help. I just bought a '06 Evo IX MR from the BMW dealer a couple days ago and I have been getting a kind of whistle/whine from the engine bay while under boost.
Sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_FXe...eature=related (not my video or car)

The car appears to be stock except for a badge on the back that says Dyno-Comp tuned. I am thinking that it is running lean because it was tuned with some upgrades and then put back to stock for trade in...

What do you all think? Thanks in advance!
Everything that you said and the video to go along with it is 100% normal, I would not worry about it for even one second, dont listen to the ridiculous advice given by anyone in the thread because if they watched the video (which does work) then they would see that it is the turbo spooling up which is totally normal.

When I got mine tuned my turbo screamed so loud it was ear piercing.

You may be more pronounced if you have a drop in filter so pop open the intake and check it out. You have nothing to worry about, dont go to the dealer period unless you have to, or you are buying parts to DYI.

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Jul 14, 2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
If you feel comfortable with it take it to a local shop and see if they can do a boost leak test but I'm telling u there is nothing wrong. Turbo's are load and even louder with stock exhaust so all u hear is the motor hum and the turbo scream
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok. Thanks a lot 06MRV8Killer! I checked and it does have a drop in filter... I assumeing it is. It's green, oiled, and metal mesh... so yeah.

Thanks again!!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:34 AM

So what do you think the deal is with the badge on the back. "Dyno-Comp tuned" Do you think they tuned it with just a drop in filter?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He could have it tuned with just that, yes.

But if you call them up, they probably have service records that might indicate whether or not other things were installed on the car previously.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tunit
He could have it tuned with just that, yes.

But if you call them up, they probably have service records that might indicate whether or not other things were installed on the car previously.
I called Dyno-Comp and they needed the name of the previous owner, i don't have that. So, I called up Jeff at Chapman BMW to ask him if he could tell me. He said he couldn't becuase of thier privacy policy. BUT, I is going to find out, call Dyno-Comp for me and then let me know what they say.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

NP, Did you look over the whole car, all the bolts where bolt-ons would go to see if they have been taken on or off, this will tell you if the car had more mods on it before which would more than likely confirm that it is flashed.

As mentioned before the best thing to do to see if it is flashed is to buy a tactrix cable and down load evoscan, pull the map and compare it to stock.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Its probably just the turbine
Old Jul 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

spool play with fins maybe scraping housing?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
NP, Did you look over the whole car, all the bolts where bolt-ons would go to see if they have been taken on or off, this will tell you if the car had more mods on it before which would more than likely confirm that it is flashed.

As mentioned before the best thing to do to see if it is flashed is to buy a tactrix cable and down load evoscan, pull the map and compare it to stock.
Ok, so I was able to find out that it has been tuned... with Turbo back exhaust (it has stock back on now), high flow fuel pump, and drop in filter and was putting down about 291hp to the wheels.

I think I need to put the exhuast back on. becuase it is tuned for that. That's what I am telling my wife anyway... ha-ha
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Do a boost leak test first.
But by the sound of it I would say you turbo may be going. Mine sounded similar on spool up. Made all the same power and everything, but it was done. Thrust bearing went. The whirring sound is most likely the compressor rubbing against the housing on spoolup because of too much shaft play. Pull the intake, see if the play is excessive. It's hard to say sometimes though..

But boost leak test first for sure.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast-Mover
Its probably just the turbine
Originally Posted by 4g63smokinall4s
spool play with fins maybe scraping housing?
Why dont you to actually read the posts? ^

Originally Posted by jzapatajr
Ok, so I was able to find out that it has been tuned... with Turbo back exhaust (it has stock back on now), high flow fuel pump, and drop in filter and was putting down about 291hp to the wheels.

I think I need to put the exhuast back on. becuase it is tuned for that. That's what I am telling my wife anyway... ha-ha
Good idea