Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How many miles per gallon do you get while daily driving?
1-10
2.38%
10-20
50.07%
20-30
41.22%
30+
1.98%
What is MPG? I just fill up 10 times a day.
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

EVO Gas Mileage MPG miles per gallon -- Merge

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PessimiStick
Stock tune is very rich. Lots of people get better mileage with a tune.

How? Stock tune is rich only during wide open throttle, flooring the gas pedal etc... In other words when your in closed loop.

During normal operations (out of boost accelerations) your car uses the oxygen sensor to maintain an air fuel ratio of 14.7 or as close to it as possible. When you get your car tuned, from my understanding in tuning, they do it while you are accelerating as fast as possible on the dyno.

How many times have you seen people get tuned for normal driving?

Only thing that makes sense when people get better gas mileage after a tune is because they beat their cars a lot during that tank of gas. So the leaner a/f ratio during WOT acceleration eat wastes less gas. And this affects the mpgs of daily driving because its mixed in together (with normal driving + hard racing) with the same tank of gas soon to be filled up.
Old May 9, 2007, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went 270 miles on a little less than 3/4 tank. It worked out to be 24.8 mpg. The driving reflected approximately 50% hwy/ 50% city. One of my best tanks so far since I normal do city driving. I would assume that if I was on the hwy most of the tank, my mpg would be 26-27. I can thank the tune I have for leaning out the car for the increased mpg.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:59 AM

if they would have put on cruse control it would be better
Old May 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
How? Stock tune is rich only during wide open throttle, flooring the gas pedal etc... In other words when your in closed loop.

During normal operations (out of boost accelerations) your car uses the oxygen sensor to maintain an air fuel ratio of 14.7 or as close to it as possible. When you get your car tuned, from my understanding in tuning, they do it while you are accelerating as fast as possible on the dyno.

How many times have you seen people get tuned for normal driving?

Only thing that makes sense when people get better gas mileage after a tune is because they beat their cars a lot during that tank of gas. So the leaner a/f ratio during WOT acceleration eat wastes less gas. And this affects the mpgs of daily driving because its mixed in together (with normal driving + hard racing) with the same tank of gas soon to be filled up.
Cause with a tune you can raise the voltage that determines when the system goes into closed loop or open. So you can increase that threshold so youre in closed loop more often.
Old May 9, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goody
if they would have put on cruse control it would be better
I agree with that whole-heartily!
Old May 9, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Second the cruise control. I drive to Atlanta (about 350 miles) pretty often and cruise would be nice. Anyway, I got 25 on the way up and back and about 21-22 mpg while there. This is with a tune, cams, intake, tbe, boost controller, and pump. I also have sun hyper volt and grounding unit. I think the grounding unit might have gave me an extra mpg but not sure yet.
Old May 9, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tarmac4g63
the more u mod ur car the crapier the gas milage will get.
WRONG.

I have Cams, gears, TBE, walbro and a xede and I get 28mpg on the highway and 25 around town.
Old May 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, a Tune will increase your MPG to make the car run more efficient.
Old May 9, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Solution: buy a toyota
Old May 9, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolife04
i would say you didnt buy a Evo for gas mileage. should of got a aveo instead..
This is perhaps the most profound statement I have ever seen on this forum. Its profundity and originality are truly breathtaking
Old May 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your worried about gas mileage, get a honda. 18 mpg ! dude you dont buy a big screen tv and then say man its making my electric bill go up. if your worried about electric bill, get a smaller TV.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PessimiStick
Stock tune is very rich. Lots of people get better mileage with a tune.
Yeah, I heard that tune before I had an EVO VIII which got heavily modified including AEM EMS and many "road tunes". Maybe I should say "looney tunes". That poor car ran so rich that the pavement behind got huge black spots from the exhaust just idling for a few moments....

Some people (including those who sold me on that bull $hit modification path) bragged about how great their mileage was with their "tunes". All I got to say is that if the EVO could be safely made to give great gas mileage and meet emissions regulations, the engineers at would have done it and the EVO would make great mileage right from the showroom floor.

Oh yeah, with the price of premium pushing $3.50 per gallon, you bet we are all wishing our cars got better mileage. Hell even my daily beater Miata only gets about 21 mpg.... I gotta learn to stay off the loud pedal...

Last edited by silverEVO8; May 9, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have basic mods and when I drive to school/work I get around 270 miles filling the take up 12 gallons. When I autox I usually get around 230 miles filling up at 12 gallons. So gas efficency isn't too bad. I have Jestr to thanks for that. Can't say enough good things about the guy.
Old May 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

5 on mine
Old May 14, 2007, 05:28 PM

What does your modded EVO get for gas mileage?

Alright well I have a curiosity. What does your modified EVO get for gas mileage? With mixed driving, city/highway... agressive driving and at times normal... LIKE I SAID MIXED!

I know a guy who had a 360whp EVO MR and said he only got like 8mpg. I was like AHH WTF.

List the mods you have and what you get for MPG. NO BS'ers I want real numbers.

Quick Reply: EVO Gas Mileage MPG miles per gallon -- Merge